Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chop saw Station on my Workbench with a turntable - Looking for Design Ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chop saw Station on my Workbench with a turntable - Looking for Design Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    You got to remember, they will have to pull out at an angle.
    My plan to address that is to fabricate a vertically adjustable roller or block on the end...so I can level it to the saw table.
    God bless our military men and women and their families! To all our veterans and active duty military...Thank You For Your Service!

Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hobart Handler 210
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

2. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chop saw Station on my Workbench with a turntable - Looking for Design Ideas

Rather than the lazy susan style bearing, I was just going to attach the saw at one corner with a loose double nutted bolt and use a presto pinned bolt in the opposite corner with a series of holes drilled in an arc to control the angle. I want mine at the same height as the welding table to hold material about to be cut. I have 3 weapons that all need the same treatment, chop saw, miter saw and sheet metal sheer so I want to make them "plug into" the receiver hitch on the end of the welding table when I want them held solid.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

4. Likes NotaVegetarian, 52 Ford, SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Rather than the lazy susan style bearing, I was just going to attach the saw at one corner with a loose double nutted bolt and use a presto pinned bolt in the opposite corner with a series of holes drilled in an arc to control the angle. I want mine at the same height as the welding table to hold material about to be cut. I have 3 weapons that all need the same treatment, chop saw, miter saw and sheet metal sheer so I want to make them "plug into" the receiver hitch on the end of the welding table when I want them held solid.
    hmmm. well that makes a lot of sense.

you may be approaching old and senile but we'll keep you around a bit.

consider yourself "on probation" so keep the good ideas coming
    :

6. Likes NotaVegetarian, 52 Ford, SeenRed, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to repeat this for others too,,,, there net is full of tube pics, it is an outright obsession as is cutting 45 perfect for something gonna be welded in any6way and for a fabricator welder really dont want tight gap for all that stuff anyway.

Its monkey see monkey do, same for arc blow, one guy reads about it and sticks a rod in a corner and all of a sudden everyone got it. I actually like angle better for bench legs, can bolt or screw threw, so much easier and cheaper to fab vs using the most expensive and complicated shape you can find.
    n Another thing, all those left over tubes seem like they be good for something but a guy will find them at the bottom of the bucket whyile is is scrounging for angle and flat drops. Those are hard to get enough.
    You made your point several posts ago. Clearly you don't like tubing...and have contempt for the "hobby crowd' that uses it. Let's not continue to beat that dead horse...and simply agree to disagree. As I said earlier, I use tubing in many of my fab projects because I like the look, and I find working with tubing to be easier for certain applications. If that makes me "monkey see monkey do", so be it.

Let's move on. If you want to get on a soapbox about "the hobby crowd" using tubing and cutting miters, please feel free to do it in your own thread, and stop hijacking mine.

Red
    Last edited by SeenRed; 07-13-2022 at 02:30 PM.
    God bless our military men and women and their families! To all our veterans and active duty military...Thank You For Your Service!

Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hobart Handler 210
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

8. Likes 52 Ford, bead-boy, Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm picturing your meaning, that seems like a good idea. If you go forward with this, would you mind posting pics?

Red
    Last edited by SeenRed; 07-13-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hobart Handler 210
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

10. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will, but don't hold your breath. Like Samm I have a pasture full of old equipment needing repairs ahead of new shop projects. I did buy a couple tool carts on sale last week that I'll use as a quick base to speed things up though.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/3-sh...t/PA0008968778

Maybe next winter...

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

12. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will, but don't hold your breath. Like Samm I have a pasture full of old equipment needing repairs ahead of new shop projects. I did buy a couple tool carts on sale last week that I'll use as a quick base to speed things up though.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/3-sh...t/PA0008968778

Maybe next winter...
    I have on of those carts. If I get another, I'm going to omit the top tray and instead weld some 1/4" plate to the top. Prolly going to need to add some ribs to the underside of that plate...

I got mine at HF. They didn't prime it before they painted it. The paint comes off in sheets. Like, actual sheets - I can pull off a square foot of paint at a time. Other than that, it's nice.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

pretty easy to make your own cart to suit your circumstance

:

15. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford, SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, u right.

17. Likes SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, u right.
    Appreciated…no worries.

Red

Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hobart Handler 210
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

19. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump…anyone else have pics or description of a saw table/stand with a turntable?

Red

Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hobart Handler 210
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

Post Thanks / Like

Ever see a dead compound miter saw sell cheap at a garage sale? I wonder how hard it would be to swap the chop saw onto the base?

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

22. Likes SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever see a dead compound miter saw sell cheap at a garage sale? I wonder how hard it would be to swap the chop saw onto the base?
    I don't think anyone's ever had any good luck doing that.

too many plastic parts can't be a good thing either
    :

24. Likes SeenRed, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The turntable get stuck .

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

That’s thinking outside the box…but like Lis said, might be tough to do, and plastic parts would concern me in a metal cutting saw.

Red

Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hobart Handler 210
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm..... mine's a King which isn't a top name brand, but no plastic. It doesn't slide though ... that might be a good thing (don't want it kicking back) but it still works for wood. Unfortunately all I have handy is a dead chop saw that doesn't pivot.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm..... mine's a King which isn't a top name brand, but no plastic. It doesn't slide though ... that might be a good thing (don't want it kicking back) but it still works for wood. Unfortunately all I have handy is a dead chop saw that doesn't pivot.
    Only miter saw I ever owned was an older Craftsman, which I don’t have anymore. The miter base on that saw had some plastic parts in it. And making this 14” Evolution saw fit up with that base would have been challenging at best.

Red

Vulcan MigMax 215
    Hobart Handler 210
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

29. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeenRed View Post
    You made your point several posts ago. Clearly you don't like tubing...and have contempt for the "hobby crowd' that uses it. Let's not continue to beat that dead horse...and simply agree to disagree. As I said earlier, I use tubing in many of my fab projects because I like the look, and I find working with tubing to be easier for certain applications. If that makes me "monkey see monkey do", so be it.

Let's move on. If you want to get on a soapbox about "the hobby crowd" using tubing and cutting miters, please feel free to do it in your own thread, and stop hijacking mine.

Red
    I'm totally with you, just disregard those who think just because you ask for a little advice, you have to do it their way, because they think you are cluless and have to follow their advice because you asked and they replied. Some people cannot grasp that sometimes people are just looking for ideas to spur ideas of their own; they are very close-minded. I completely agree with using tubing, so count me in the monkey club, I'll buy the beers while we have good laughs

Now for a real challenge: adapt the rotating turntable to rotate in a different axis so that when you do have to cut angled miter cuts, you end up not cutting on top (on the flat part) that more readily dulls blades, but rather from one corner diagonally to another corner. I've yet to see that anywhere in a metal chop saw. Hint: the path that is needed to traverse is different when you have square tubing vs rectangular tubing vs angle vs channel
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-20-2022 at 05:21 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

31. Likes 52 Ford, SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea... that would require a saw that adjusts vertically as well as horizontally. If you've ever mitered something like curved crown moldings, just a straight 45 does not give you the result you expect.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

33. Likes 52 Ford, SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I'm totally with you, just disregard those who think just because you ask for a little advice, you have to do it their way, because they think you are cluless and have to follow their advice because you asked and they replied. Some people cannot grasp that sometimes people are just looking for ideas to spur ideas of their own; they are very close-minded. I completely agree with using tubing, so count me in the monkey club, I'll buy the beers while we have good laughs

Now for a real challenge: adapt the rotating turntable to rotate in a different axis so that when you do have to cut angled miter cuts, you end up not cutting on top (on the flat part) that more readily dulls blades, but rather from one corner diagonally to another corner. I've yet to see that anywhere in a metal chop saw. Hint: the path that is needed to traverse is different when you have square tubing vs rectangular tubing vs angle vs channel
    Hey, if you're buying the beer, count me it!

35. Likes SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread makes me want to try something... I'll post some pictures later.

37. Likes SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Hey, if you're buying the beer, count me it!

I don't know if you'd survive over here during this time. Today was 109°F/Felt like 115°F But the beer does help cooling off.
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-20-2022 at 09:22 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

39. Likes 52 Ford, SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh.... I was in DC for a 3 day meeting when it was 103. The ambulances were running steady taking heat stroke victims to the hospital. They said I'd die in the humidity since I was used to a "dry cold". Prairie boy that is used to living in igloos and chasing eskimo girls was hiking around the tourist traps in jeans and hiking boots and doing just fine. lol.... make sure the beer is cold.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

41. Likes SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    This thread makes me want to try something... I'll post some pictures later.

Ran out of daylight. Gonna try something with a miter saw tomorrow.

Last edited by 52 Ford; 07-20-2022 at 09:35 PM.

43. Likes SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what the temp got up to today. Around 100, plus lots of humidity.

The reason I said I about passed out yesterday, I had to push a car with a flat tire from one spot to another in my driveway (long story...) and couldn't get any traction with my boots (gravel driveway) so I had to pick up as I was pushing. I'd move it about a foot in a minute, then go crank the wheel (can't start it, so no power steering), then push it another foot. Did this for about 40 feet. I was able to pull it with the truck the first 75 feet.

Ended up standing out back under a garden hose for a few minutes afterward.

45. Likes whtbaron liked this post