+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chop saw Station on my Workbench with a turntable - Looking for Design Ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Chop saw Station on my Workbench with a turntable - Looking for Design Ideas

My shop is only 20x20, so efficiency of space is always a premium for me. I've got a little 6' x 2' workbench that I also use as a cutting station for my dry cut saw. I've been thinking about devising a way to put a turntable in one end of the the bench top...so I can make miter cuts without needing to pull the table out to the center of the shop every time I need to miter-cut something.

I don't have the space to build a dedicated chop say station from scratch - so I'm trying to make this work instead. If any of you have built a stand/table/bench with a carousel or turntable in it for chop saw miter cuts, would you mind posting pics and/or describing for me how you built it? I probably wouldn't be opposed to buying a turntable or carousel if necessary, but I always try to figure out if I can fabricate something myself before I spend money on something I could have built myself...

Here's what the current workbench looks like - with the saw - in the space I have to work with.

Name:  unnamed (1).jpg
Views: 504
Size:  122.2 KBName:  unnamed (2).jpg
Views: 507
Size:  121.0 KB

Thanks!
    Red
    God bless our military men and women and their families! To all our veterans and active duty military...Thank You For Your Service!

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chop saw Station on my Workbench with a turntable - Looking for Design Ideas

I would locate saw just to right of bench so you could use bench as a feed table.
    At point you could make a turntable for saw.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SeenRed View Post
    My shop is only 20x20, so efficiency of space is always a premium for me. I've got a little 6' x 2' workbench that I also use as a cutting station for my dry cut saw. I've been thinking about devising a way to put a turntable in one end of the the bench top...so I can make miter cuts without needing to pull the table out to the center of the shop every time I need to miter-cut something.

I don't have the space to build a dedicated chop say station from scratch - so I'm trying to make this work instead. If any of you have built a stand/table/bench with a carousel or turntable in it for chop saw miter cuts, would you mind posting pics and/or describing for me how you built it? I probably wouldn't be opposed to buying a turntable or carousel if necessary, but I always try to figure out if I can fabricate something myself before I spend money on something I could have built myself...

Here's what the current workbench looks like - with the saw - in the space I have to work with.

Name:  unnamed (1).jpg
Views: 504
Size:  122.2 KBName:  unnamed (2).jpg
Views: 507
Size:  121.0 KB

Thanks!
    Red

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chop saw Station on my Workbench with a turntable - Looking for Design Ideas

There was a post on this not long ago try a search there were some awesome builds
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14” Saw

4. Likes SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14” Saw

6. Likes whtbaron, SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    Thanks! Some good ideas in that thread.

Red
    God bless our military men and women and their families! To all our veterans and active duty military...Thank You For Your Service!

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

Post Thanks / Like

There isnt really a good way with limited room but I might figure out some stand or addition, modification to the bench to catch it all. I( am going to add something that is likely to get some blowback but really should pertain to the new gang. The only place out in the world I have ever seen the amount of square tube in building is in a nuke and cant ever remember cutting one at a 45. The hobby gang has an absolute fascination with it and thinks anything that stands or rolls requires tubing. This is different than mfg products with formiung and can do it cheap but since I am the designer builder I rarely use it and almost never miter and if I do nip it with a sawzall or most likely plasma.
    About the only time I really use tube is repair, copy factory designs, where its needed. Built 200 benches for a factory, 1 had a couple special cuts, all square cut, simple joints.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Bench needs a back shield, a slot.
    I had to rework the front end to really get the dross to blow down. 2 things the hobby crowd is infatuated with,,, 45 cuts and 1/2 inch aluminum. They are not bad things but a guy soon runs out of stuff has to be cut at an angle.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-12-2022 at 08:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I Like both for chop saw.
    I put shield for beach grinder too.
    I use band saws the kerf on a chop saw to great.

I made for bandsaw a 45° angle jig to fit in saw witch would work on chop saw too.
    Never need to adjust saw for 45° again.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Bench needs a back shield, a slot.
    I had to rework the front end to really get the dross to blow down. 2 things the hobby crowd is infatuated with,,, 45 cuts and 1/2 inch aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    There isnt really a good way with limited room but I might figure out some stand or addition, modification to the bench to catch it all. I( am going to add something that is likely to get some blowback but really should pertain to the new gang. The only place out in the world I have ever seen the amount of square tube in building is in a nuke and cant ever remember cutting one at a 45. The hobby gang has an absolute fascination with it and thinks anything that stands or rolls requires tubing. This is different than mfg products with formiung and can do it cheap but since I am the designer builder I rarely use it and almost never miter and if I do nip it with a sawzall or most likely plasma.
    About the only time I really use tube is repair, copy factory designs, where its needed. Built 200 benches for a factory, 1 had a couple special cuts, all square cut, simple joints.
    Your comments about over-using 45* miter cuts is duly noted…and for the most part I agree. I don’t make mitered corner joints all that often…which is another reason that - when I do want to miter something - I want to be able to do so by rotating/pivoting my saw in it’s place instead of moving the table away from the wall.

All that being said, I’d still like to see pics any of y’all’s chop saw stands out there that allow the saw to rotate/pivot in it’s place.

And I guess I do use tubing more than you…probably for a couple reasons. First, I am a hobby welder, and I’m sure your skill and experience far exceeds mine. Second, I just find that most of the fab projects I do are easier to do, and look better to my eye, fabricated out of tubing.

Thanks,
    Red
    Last edited by SeenRed; 07-12-2022 at 01:21 PM.

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

12. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You prob already “saw” mine in the other thread mentioned.

I used a locking swivel boat seat base, ($30cad Amazon few years back)

or you can get a heavier duty one like this for 10 times more…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

14. Likes SeenRed, Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd avoid putting a chop saw near my turn table. I'd be afraid of scratching up my records.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

16. Likes Lis2323, SeenRed, BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminium-Tur...858&psc=1&th=1

How bout a low profile lazy Susan bearing like this?

18. Likes SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Used ones are free from an automotive repair shop..

:

20. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Used ones are free from an automotive repair shop..

True! I saved a couple a few years ago. I have them sitting under the workbench. Plan is to use one as a turn table for a small truck crane. It has a brake rotor on it, so I figure I'll mount it in such a way that I can clamp onto the brake rotor to keep the crane from rotating.

22. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's your plan for supporting the end of the stock? Rollers or just solid blocks?

Post Thanks / Like

You prob already “saw” mine in the other thread mentioned.

I used a locking swivel boat seat base, ($30cad Amazon few years back)

or you can get a heavier duty one like this for 10 times more…..

I’m glad you responded since I wanted to pick your brain about that design.

Locking swivel boat seat sounds like a good idea. Hadn’t thought of that. It’s definitely one option I’ll look into.

Thanks!
    Red

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Aluminium-Tur...858&psc=1&th=1

How bout a low profile lazy Susan bearing like this?

Yeah that’s one option I’ve considered…just wonder how much abuse those LS bearings could take before failing

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

26. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    What's your plan for supporting the end of the stock? Rollers or just solid blocks?

What I’m thinking is a telescoping rail out of the tube under the end of the table top. Might put a roller, or a solid cross block on the end of it. The telescoping design would keep it out of the way when not using…again, trying to make the most economical use of a small space.

Red

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

28. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adjustable height roller stands are cheap….

or you can “roll” your own …

:

30. Likes SeenRed, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s another easily removable option ..

:

32. Likes SeenRed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks Great
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

34. Likes Lis2323, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adjustable height roller stands are cheap….

Yeah I’ve looked at those cheap roller stands…problem is, I’d need floor space that I don’t really have to set ‘em up. That’s why I’m looking at a telescoping rail that pulls out of my table. Accomplishes the same thing and doesn’t take any floor space. But I digress. What I’m most interested in with this thread is seeing pivoting/rotating saw stand designs.

Red

Lincoln PowerMig 211i
    PrimeWeld Cut50D

Post Thanks / Like

That’s why I’m looking at a telescoping rail that pulls out of my table
    You got to remember, they will have to pull out at an angle.
    This is one of those things. Not that it directly pertains to this but I remember being around and wondering "why dont" and the guy says,,,, wait,,, we tried it all to do this for a long time and this is the way we have to do it.
    Now that isnt exactly true here but there are limitations and I have seen about every way this can be done. In a small garage the easiest way is to set it on the floor when you have to. Second,,, the chop saw is the right tool in some sense here, it does so many things and while it will miter its not great but,,, because its not great there doesnt mean its not for the rest of it and is so useful at cutting 90, cutt5ing from scrap etc is where it really shines and so little in the hobbyu type jobs really comne in full length from the yard, even for me rare to buy new stock anymore.
    I am going to repeat this for others too,,,, there net is full of tube pics, it is an outright obsession as is cutting 45 perfect for something gonna be welded in any6way and for a fabricator welder really dont want tight gap for all that stuff anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

While there are good ideas in some of these and they are beautiful it doesnt all apply for a couple reasons, space and money. Many of them should come with disclaimer,,,, I dont care what it costs, I have room and every other tool to go along with it. This is good example, this is a bush hog repair, a telescoper so it has tube but they manage to build the whole fuggin thing without cutting a 45 tube.
    Its monkey see monkey do, same for arc blow, one guy reads about it and sticks a rod in a corner and all of a sudden everyone got it. I actually like angle better for bench legs, can bolt or screw threw, so much easier and cheaper to fab vs using the most expensive and complicated shape you can find.
    n Another thing, all those left over tubes seem like they be good for something but a guy will find them at the bottom of the bucket whyile is is scrounging for angle and flat drops. Those are hard to get enough.
    again, trying to make the most economical use of a small space.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-13-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure your skill and experience far exceeds mine.
    Doesnt look like there is anything wrong with your skill. The rest of it is from long term perspective,,,, what was it I thought so important when I built it,,,, what happened, did I use it etc.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist