Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Grinder Acquisition

Post Thanks / Like

Cordless Grinder Acquisition

I already have 3 corded grinders, a Porter Cable, Dewalt and Milwaukee. I picked up a Milwaukee model 2880-20 cordless 18v unit yesterday. Just fidgeting with it after getting home, I think I'm gonna like it. Good balance and power for a cordless, and uses the same battery packs my other Milwaukee tools use, which I have about 10 extras, if needed.

Name:  Cordless grinder.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  213.5 KB
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Miller Spoolmate 150
    Primeweld cut 60 Plasma Cutter
    Milwaukee Chop Saw
    Bauer Portaband Saw w/Swag Table
    Dewalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable 4.5 grinders
    Mag Drill/Annular Cutters
    ArcUnion J-20 Portable Rod Oven
    Vevor pipe stands

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cordless Grinder Acquisition

I have probably the identical tool,,
    it is "nice" as it is cordless,, but, the speed is WAY slow compared to a Milwaukee or Makita corded.

So, despite having plenty of batteries,, when I need a "real" angle grinder, I drag out a corded one,,,

3. Likes Lis2323, 12V71, 52 Ford, rhunt, BluCllrPlt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt grinder speed are dictated by battery size. I only use it in the field but no complaints. Does Milwaukee have that
    Feature?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    I have probably the identical tool,,
    it is "nice" as it is cordless,, but, the speed is WAY slow compared to a Milwaukee or Makita corded.

So, despite having plenty of batteries,, when I need a "real" angle grinder, I drag out a corded one,,,
    8500 rpm. My corded Milwaukee has 10,000 rpm, if I remember correctly. My Dewalt corded has 10,000 rpm as well, and my Porter Cable corded [the good one made in USA, McMinnville, Tenn.] has 12,000 rpm.

I think for the small jobs I will do from time to time, the cordless Milwaukee will be a good addition to my arsenal, and I'll be able to use different grinders for different things, keeping different discs, flap wheels, cut-off wheels and wire brushes on them without having to change out nearly as often.
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Miller Spoolmate 150
    Milwaukee Chop Saw
    Vevor pipe stands

6. Likes SweetMK, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of those cordless Milwaukee grinders, and all sorts of name brand corded grinders. Those cordless are my go to and hang on my tripod at the arc. I run one with a saucer twisted knot and the other with a 27 grit Walter. Can't beat them the less cords in the way the better. And with fuel prices the way they are, the less I have to run the welder the better.

Name:  20220126_114052.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  143.6 KB

Name:  20210721_122128.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  254.5 KB
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

8. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be very useful with a wire wheel on it for cleaning slag off the weld, and doing some rust removal if needed.
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Miller Spoolmate 150
    Milwaukee Chop Saw
    Vevor pipe stands

10. Likes 52 Ford, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Dewalt grinder speed are dictated by battery size. I only use it in the field but no complaints. Does Milwaukee have that
    Feature?
    That's a flaw, not a feature. Without going into analogies, you can get more power out of a bigger battery. Actually, one analogy - think of each battery cell inside the battery pack like an acetylene tank. If you want a LOT of flow, you need to gang up a bunch of tanks.

Same deal with cordless impact wrenches, drills, etc. I'm actually planning on buying a large 24V power supply and using that to run my cordless tools when I'm in the shop. The power supply would be able to provide steady voltage to the tools, so I can get maximum performance out of them. My big cordless, brushless drill will kill a 1.5Ah battery in about a minute if running something like a large paddle or Forstner bit.

12. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    I have a couple of those cordless Milwaukee grinders, and all sorts of name brand corded grinders. Those cordless are my go to and hang on my tripod at the arc. I run one with a saucer twisted knot and the other with a 27 grit Walter. Can't beat them the less cords in the way the better. And with fuel prices the way they are, the less I have to run the welder the better.

Name:  20220126_114052.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  143.6 KB

Name:  20210721_122128.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  254.5 KB
    Are you sure that air hose it big enough?

14. Likes Freebirdwelds, SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Are you sure that air hose it big enough?
    Sure makes that needle scaler hit, I also use it for arc gouging, loader tires, etc.. I use a 3/8" whip for my mini air cat needle scaler and anything else.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

16. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron, SweetMK, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Dewalt flex volt system allows varying size batteries to be used and get more power. I thought it extend run time when
    Using smaller batteries, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m happy with my 18v Ridgid grinder. Plenty strong and good amount of runtime before changing batteries if 4 amp.

I keep a cutoff wheel on it.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

2 stroke angle grinder... need I say more?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15493846363...hoCJ2IQAvD_BwE

Actually might not be that bad an idea. A motor that size aughta make around 3HP. So... 745W*3 = 2,235W... 18+ amps on a normal 120V circuit. More if you have lower voltage.

Would go good with a 2 stroke drill and a 2 stroke Sawzall, anyway. Bet it'd look pretty cool hanging on the wall.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 07-13-2022 at 05:45 PM.

20. Likes xmmancharl, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's pretty obvious why it doesn't show a brand name. A gas tank mounted to a major spark generator... What could possibly go wrong?
    Cordless grinders inspire a whole new generation of catalytic converter and welding cable thieves.

22. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious why it doesn't show a brand name. A gas tank mounted to a major spark generator... What could possibly go wrong?
    Cordless grinders inspire a whole new generation of catalytic converter and welding cable thieves.
    Millions of gas powered chop saws out there.

24. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Well, that certainly is not me, nor why I got one. Convienience in the field is my reason. When just a small grind is needed, then its easy to pull a cordless out and take care of it, and not have to worry about an extension cord for just a small grind.
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Miller Spoolmate 150
    Milwaukee Chop Saw
    Vevor pipe stands

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Millions of gas powered chop saws out there.
    Yeah, but they don't have the gas tank exposed like that grinder and have a much better guard around the blade.

Post Thanks / Like

Just what you need a 2 stroke pain.
    I guess you buy case of spark plugs to keep it running.

I use a 4 stroke generator and a cord.

Dave

Actually might not be that bad an idea. A motor that size aughta make around 3HP. So... 745W*3 = 2,235W... 18+ amps on a normal 120V circuit. More if you have lower voltage.

Would go good with a 2 stroke drill and a 2 stroke Sawzall, anyway. Bet it'd look pretty cool hanging on the wall.

28. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been happy with my Milwaukee cordless. Prefer it with wire wheel or flapper but it handles a grinding wheel well with an 8ah or larger battery. Stlll use mostly corded in the shop but these are great remote

30. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So if ya like the 2 stroke angle grinder the check out a rail saw, It'll clamp on the rail & use a 16" blade(I think) to cut your work just like a chop saw. I think they're around 7 horsepower and 30 ish pounds.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

32. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has any one used larger consumables with their cordless grinder using custom made guards? It's been on my to-do list. My cordless grinders are 8500 RPMs, and 6" wheels/discs are good to at least 10,000 RPMs. I know most 5" consumables are good to 12k. Even some 7" consumables are good to 8500 RPMs. It would increase the circumferential surface speed almost equal to a 11,000 RPM 4" corded electric grinder. I'll eventually get to making some guards out of 16ga sheet, I'd just need to figure out the nitty gritty details to form them properly.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Has any one used larger consumables with their cordless grinder using custom made guards? It's been on my to-do list. My cordless grinders are 8500 RPMs, and 6" wheels/discs are good to at least 10,000 RPMs. I know most 5" consumables are good to 12k. Even some 7" consumables are good to 8500 RPMs. It would increase the circumferential surface speed almost equal to a 11,000 RPM 4" corded electric grinder. I'll eventually get to making some guards out of 16ga sheet, I'd just need to figure out the nitty gritty details to form them properly.
    I think the problem with larger wheels, even though the RPM is good, would be the extra torque required would just kill the battery faster.

35. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt type 27 7" stones are good to 8,700 RPM.

I've been meaning to do the same thing. If I have a good guard on a grinder, I wouldn't have any problem running a 7" wheel rated at 8,700RPM at something more like 10K.

I also know multiple people who have had 7" wheels explode on 12K RPM grinders. Those were cutting wheels and on grinders that take a lot more abuse that I put mine through.

Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt type 27 7" stones are good to 8,700 RPM.

I've been meaning to do the same thing. If I have a good guard on a grinder, I wouldn't have any problem running a 7" wheel rated at 8,700RPM at something more like 10K.

I also know multiple people who have had 7" wheels explode on 12K RPM grinders. Those were cutting wheels and on grinders that take a lot more abuse that I put mine through.

I'm not talking about what you are. You're wanting to spin them faster than they are rated for. I'm only wanting to get more out of a cordless due to the lackluster RPMs. I can't increase the RPMs, but I can increase the speed of the abrasive by just using a larger wheel.

I think the problem with larger wheels, even though the RPM is good, would be the extra torque required would just kill the battery faster.
    It would, but for quick jobs, it might be worth it. One can just charge the battery when they get home.
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-15-2022 at 11:14 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

38. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good application for a corded tool. I'm fairly certain I've said this before (on this thread?), I've never stalled my "full size" 4-1/2" Bosch. I HAVE run a 7" wheel on it before. I just didn't let it "spool up" before I started grinding and I kept some weight on it while I was using it to keep the RPM down. Never did stall it. I was putting enough weight on it I was sorta worried about breaking something. I had some carbide hardfacing that needed to be ground down flush.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not talking about what you are. You're wanting to spin them faster than they are rated for. I'm only wanting to get more out of a cordless due to the lackluster RPMs. I can't increase the RPMs, but I can increase the speed of the abrasive by just using a larger wheel.
    Yes and no. I sorta wondered off on a tangent. I guess I get distracted easily when I'm tired. (I'm tired.)

Like 12V71 said, you're going to run out of torque faster. I'm not sure what sort of logic is in the brushless Milwaukee grinders (I don't have one), but if it's anything like the rest of the brushless stuff that I have, it actually regulates current going to the motor based on desired RPM indicated by trigger position... that might not have made any sense.

With my big brushless drill, I can use it for days on a single battery if I'm drilling 1/4" holes, or drain a battery in a few minutes if I'm running a big forstner bit.

I imagine it's going to be a similar situation with the grinder.

Overthinking this a bit - you're going to have to use at least X amount of energy to remove a certain amount of metal. Assuming the grinder CAN supply enough torque, the additional SFM is going to come at the cost of higher current draw...

What I'm trying to get at is you'll probably be able to move more material faster, but you're also going to go through batteries faster (proportionally?)

Worth looking into more free-cutting abrasive wheels, too. I hear Walker has some fancy new stuff out that absolutely EATS mill scale.

(Edit: typo)

I think the Walker wheels are called like flexi-cut or flex-cut or... I dunno Flex something.

Last edited by 52 Ford; 07-15-2022 at 11:26 PM.