Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cordless Grinder Acquisition

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cordless Grinder Acquisition

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Yes and no. I sorta wondered off on a tangent. I guess I get distracted easily when I'm tired. (I'm tired.)

Like 12V71 said, you're going to run out of torque faster. I'm not sure what sort of logic is in the brushless Milwaukee grinders (I don't have one), but if it's anything like the rest of the brushless stuff that I have, it actually regulates current going to the motor based on desired RPM indicated by trigger position... that might not have made any sense.

With my big brushless drill, I can use it for days on a single battery if I'm drilling 1/4" holes, or drain a battery in a few minutes if I'm running a big forstner bit.

I imagine it's going to be a similar situation with the grinder.

Overthinking this a bit - you're going to have to use at least X amount of energy to remove a certain amount of metal. Assuming the grinder CAN supply enough torque, the additional SFM is going to come at the cost of higher current draw...

What I'm trying to get at is you'll probably be able to move more material faster, but you're also going to go through batteries faster (proportionally?)

Worth looking into more free-cutting abrasive wheels, too. I hear Walker has some fancy new stuff out that absolutely EATS mill scale.

(Edit: typo)

I think the Walker wheels are called like flexi-cut or flex-cut or... I dunno Flex something.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Ok, makes more sense now. I don't doubt the battery will be drained a bit faster. That is why you take out the drained battery and swap in another one. Then if and when the 2nd battery is drained, then you take that one out and put the 3rd fully charged battery in if needed. I thought that would be pretty obvious. Don't tell me y'all only have 1 battery?!?!?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

2. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Ok, makes more sense now. I don't doubt the battery will be drained a bit faster. That is why you take out the drained battery and swap in another one. Then if and when the 2nd battery is drained, then you take that one out and put the 3rd fully charged battery in if needed. I thought that would be pretty obvious. Don't tell me y'all only have 1 battery?!?!?
    You can have more than one battery?!?

Post Thanks / Like

When I need another battery, I've been going to Lowe's Depot and exchanging it.

Found out you can actually charge them YOURSELF the other day. Now this!

What's next? Wireless TV clickers? PHA!

5. Likes 12V71, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have three cordless grinders (Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt) and modded or replaced the guards to take 6" cutting discs which makes them far more useful.

The DeWalt was easiest because their 6" guard only differs by the internal lumps which engage the notches in the gearbox casting so I ground those off. The others were easy though as I just cut the collars off the correct guards then welded them to random 6" leftover guards.

Another handy trick is to buy a quality steel Jacobs chuck (no cheapies!) then use a lathe or mill to keep it centered and drill then tap to match your angle grinder thread (5/8"-11 for mine). That turns your angle grinder into a fast right angle die grinder which fits more places than my beloved but large Milwaukee 5196.

7. Likes 52 Ford, 12V71, Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    I have three cordless grinders (Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt) and modded or replaced the guards to take 6" cutting discs which makes them far more useful.

The DeWalt was easiest because their 6" guard only differs by the internal lumps which engage the notches in the gearbox casting so I ground those off. The others were easy though as I just cut the collars off the correct guards then welded them to random 6" leftover guards.

Another handy trick is to buy a quality steel Jacobs chuck (no cheapies!) then use a lathe or mill to keep it centered and drill then tap to match your angle grinder thread (5/8"-11 for mine). That turns your angle grinder into a fast right angle die grinder which fits more places than my beloved but large Milwaukee 5196.
    I've added Jacob's chucks to a a few different tools. I welded a 1/2" chuck to the nut for a bench grinder arbor so I can run 1/4" shank wire wheels and cup brushes.

Pretty convenient.

I also welded a 1/2" drive socket to a keyless 1/2" chuck. Comes in handy sometimes. Like drilling with forstner bits where you can't get a good grip on a drill. With the impact you don't have to worry about reaction torque. Lineman use a 7/16" hex impact to similar effect.

Can't say I've added one to a grinder. I'll prolly end up doing that. Thanks for the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I've added Jacob's chucks to a a few different tools. I welded a 1/2" chuck to the nut for a bench grinder arbor so I can run 1/4" shank wire wheels and cup brushes.

Pretty convenient.

I also welded a 1/2" drive socket to a keyless 1/2" chuck. Comes in handy sometimes. Like drilling with forstner bits where you can't get a good grip on a drill. With the impact you don't have to worry about reaction torque. Lineman use a 7/16" hex impact to similar effect.

Can't say I've added one to a grinder. I'll prolly end up doing that. Thanks for the idea.

They do make dedicated 3/8"- 1/2" square drive keyless chucks for impact wrenches. Got a few, can't remember the brand though.

10. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    They do make dedicated 3/8"- 1/2" square drive keyless chucks for impact wrenches. Got a few, can't remember the brand though.
    I've seen em. Next time I need one I'll have to buy one. The DeWalt chuck I used on my last Jacob's chuck to square drive adaptor shattered when I stuck it on a 1/2" pneumatic rattle gun and opened up the regulator. One of the jaws broke.

When I was in my teens, I took the chuck off a broken drill and ran a bolt in the tail end of it. The threads were fine thread and the bolt was coarse. Did that so it wouldn't come loose. Anyway, I probably still have that one kicking around somewhere. Used it for driving taps mostly. Though, I remember putting about 4 feet of extension on a 3/8" impact wrench and using it to drill some big holes through the sill plate to run power to a building. Guess a 1/4" hex to 3/8" square adaptor woulda been nice to have.

Think it takes a 9/16" socket.

ACTUALLY... I KNOW it takes a 9/16" socket. Because I used that chuck with the 3/8" gun and a ratchet enough that I wore out the first 1/4" of depth of a 12 point socket. I still have that socket.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen em. Next time I need one I'll have to buy one. The DeWalt chuck I used on my last Jacob's chuck to square drive adaptor shattered when I stuck it on a 1/2" pneumatic rattle gun and opened up the regulator. One of the jaws broke.

When I was in my teens, I took the chuck off a broken drill and ran a bolt in the tail end of it. The threads were fine thread and the bolt was coarse. Did that so it wouldn't come loose. Anyway, I probably still have that one kicking around somewhere. Used it for driving taps mostly. Though, I remember putting about 4 feet of extension on a 3/8" impact wrench and using it to drill some big holes through the sill plate to run power to a building. Guess a 1/4" hex to 3/8" square adaptor woulda been nice to have.

Think it takes a 9/16" socket.

ACTUALLY... I KNOW it takes a 9/16" socket. Because I used that chuck with the 3/8" gun and a ratchet enough that I wore out the first 1/4" of depth of a 12 point socket. I still have that socket.

Yeah, I got my chucks to run big wood bits mostly, I did find out my HD Milwaukee 1/2" impact gun wont go to impact mode with 1/2" and below drill bits in steel. Works just like a cordless drill. Just an option.

13. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Yeah, I got my chucks to run big wood bits mostly, I did find out my HD Milwaukee 1/2" impact gun wont go to impact mode with 1/2" and below drill bits in steel. Works just like a cordless drill. Just an option.

Just make sure you buy impact rated twist drills and bits if you do this. In my experience, normal drills do NOT like impacting. Driver bits are the same way. They aren't happy about impact driving.

Post Thanks / Like

You can have more than one battery?!?

. Sure can… …I have a dozen for my Milwaukee tools…..my Bosch I drive tool, only 2, but that little driver has seen a lot of work.
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Miller Spoolmate 150
    Primeweld cut 60 Plasma Cutter
    Milwaukee Chop Saw
    Bauer Portaband Saw w/Swag Table
    Dewalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable 4.5” grinders
    Mag Drill/Annular Cutters
    ArcUnion J-20 Portable Rod Oven
    Vevor pipe stands

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    By how much faster would you say it drains the battery with the 6" discs?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

There two problems I found with battery power tools is battery life is only one or two hours of use.
    The companies making the tools like change the battery or have high price.

I have been using battery power drills since the mid 1980's. The rest of my tools are cord type. For some work I still have cord drills too if drill all day.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by metalmelter2021 View Post
    I already have 3 corded grinders, a Porter Cable, Dewalt and Milwaukee. I picked up a Milwaukee model 2880-20 cordless 18v unit yesterday. Just fidgeting with it after getting home, I think I'm gonna like it. Good balance and power for a cordless, and uses the same battery packs my other Milwaukee tools use, which I have about 10 extras, if needed.

Attachment 1741544