Thread: 47 Lincoln shorthood

Post Thanks / Like

47 Lincoln shorthood

I am asking I have never worked on a shorthood so here goes I bought this shorthood in western montana from an estate the son of the owner took it off the old truck sold the truck set the welder in the weeds I got it home it is a little rough but they had drained the anti freeze and the gas. I put it in the shop took the exhaust manifold off it was broken replaced it and put new exhaust pipe on it put new spark plugs and new wires on it hooked it up to another 200 to spin it after a few tries I got it running . Runs good starts easy hasnít been run in 20 plus years . Here is my problem this machine doesnít have a hole for a starter so there are no electric wires on it when I started it it when to high rpmís pushed the governor rod back got the pin in the old time vacum box got it down to normal idle messed with the linkages got the rpmís normal but what are people using to get the machine to go to idle from welding rpmís . I am guessing the vacum box doesnít work .
    I am hoping Duane55 can enlighten me Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 47 Lincoln shorthood

Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    I am asking I have never worked on a shorthood so here goes I bought this shorthood in western montana from an estate the son of the owner took it off the old truck sold the truck set the welder in the weeds I got it home it is a little rough but they had drained the anti freeze and the gas. I put it in the shop took the exhaust manifold off it was broken replaced it and put new exhaust pipe on it put new spark plugs and new wires on it hooked it up to another 200 to spin it after a few tries I got it running . Runs good starts easy hasnít been run in 20 plus years . Here is my problem this machine doesnít have a hole for a starter so there are no electric wires on it when I started it it when to high rpmís pushed the governor rod back got the pin in the old time vacum box got it down to normal idle messed with the linkages got the rpmís normal but what are people using to get the machine to go to idle from welding rpmís . I am guessing the vacum box doesnít work .
    I am hoping Duane55 can enlighten me Thanks

A lot of people put an idle up kit on them from bwparts.com, but i'm not sure if it needs 12v power to run. the bellows might just need some tweaking to work, or your throttle linkage could be put on wrong. Do you have any pictures of the bellows device and your throttle linkage?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a short video of the R-51 bellows idler functioning on a '48 short hood. I removed the plunger retainer bar so I could activate it by hand as I didn't have the generator wired up yet to weld.

MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like