Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help please with boring head on a drill press

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help please with boring head on a drill press

Great job

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Here's some pics. of how I did the repair. The tubing clamped to the drill press table really helped to hold everything as rigid as possible. It's kind of hard to tell but the hole is centered pretty close. I put a piece of paper under the hole so I could see if I was removing material. I had to take pretty small cuts and I took too much of the top of the hole initially so heated it back up and ran 2 beads around the top. The bottom 1/4" or 5/16" was a little tighter to pound the bushing in but It shouldn't come loose like the last bushing the ruined the bore. Putting the hoe back on didn't go too bad except for knocking it off the jack I had supporting it. Of course I took out the 4x4 post sitting on a couple jack stands (for safety) which I should have left in place. Anyway It's back together and hopefully I won't have to worry about again. The 1st pic. is the finish I got with the brazed carbide boring bars. To use them on the side hole of boring head I had to turn them upside down because a drill press runs clockwise. Unfortunately I had to weld the bore again because the hole wasn't centered to my liking. The brazed carbide chipping was a real PIA. I think I would have faired a lot better if I could have found HSS boring bars. My home made boring bar made out of 3/8" square HSS did the trick though. I think it's it's just one of things you learn through trial and error.

Attachment 1742360

Attachment 1742361

Attachment 1742362

Attachment 1742363

2. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done!

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a set of snap gauges, it might be worth checking the concentricity of the bushed bore, since you mentioned it had a tight spot. It shouldn't really make any difference, since it's a hoe. Not exactly a "high precision" application.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an inside spring caliper but forget to use it to check the bore in various places. A millwright from the gravel pit brought his son to ride my MX track and he said their last line bore was a little too small as they really had to whack the bushings in. Mine could maybe have been slightly bigger in the bottom but I'm kind of glad it was tighter because there's very little chance it could drop down if for some reason the bushing came loose like the last one. There's about a 1/4" space under the bushing before the bottom pin mount. Originally I was going to put a large spacer(s) in there but since the bushing is tight, I didn't think it was required. There's still some slop in the whole assembly but it's not related to the pressed in bushings turning or coming loose. I could probably fix some of it with pins about 5 thou. bigger but I don't put lots of hours on the machine so it's not a big deal. The bosses for the pin get worn a little too I think from the forces put on the pins. There wasn't much of the Loctite 660 that squeezed out the top when the bushing was pounded in which I think is a good thing as it should fill any slight gaps on the bore. It's nice that it doesn't dry in the presence of air otherwise it could have hardened in the middle groove of the bushing preventing the pin from being greaseable. Hopefully I'll be trying the backhoe out soon.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 08-09-2022 at 02:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an inside spring caliper but forget to use it to check the bore in various places. A millwright from the gravel pit brought his son to ride my MX track and he said their last line bore was a little too small as they really had to whack the bushings in. Mine could maybe have been slightly bigger in the bottom but I'm kind of glad it was tighter because there's very little chance it could drop down if for some reason the bushing came loose like the last one. There's about a 1/4" space under the bushing before the bottom pin mount. Originally I was going to put a large spacer(s) in there but since the bushing is tight, I didn't think it was required. There's still some slop in the whole assembly but it's not related to the pressed in bushings turning or coming loose. I could probably fix some of it with pins about 5 thou. bigger but I don't put lots of hours on the machine so it's not a big deal. The bosses for the pin get worn a little too I think from the forces put on the pins.
    I'd think packing it with a really viscous grease would not only stop frictional wear, but prevent pounding wear.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you have a suggestion on a brand or type of grease to try?

Post Thanks / Like

Would you have a suggestion on a brand or type of grease to try?
    Any good #2 Moly grease is what I have always used on pin and bushing joints. When I had excavators, all the bucket linkages and pins got grease twice per day. The rest of the machine got it once a day. If it was squealing the operator better have a good explanation or a new job lined up.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used Lucas #2 red and tacky. I don't know if it's necessarily better than other grease but it gives me the least problems with losing prime on the grease gun.

Post Thanks / Like

You look for a mag drill it is makes life simpler.
    The mag drills have very long stroke.

Dave

I bought an inside spring caliper but forget to use it to check the bore in various places. A millwright from the gravel pit brought his son to ride my MX track and he said their last line bore was a little too small as they really had to whack the bushings in. Mine could maybe have been slightly bigger in the bottom but I'm kind of glad it was tighter because there's very little chance it could drop down if for some reason the bushing came loose like the last one. There's about a 1/4" space under the bushing before the bottom pin mount. Originally I was going to put a large spacer(s) in there but since the bushing is tight, I didn't think it was required. There's still some slop in the whole assembly but it's not related to the pressed in bushings turning or coming loose. I could probably fix some of it with pins about 5 thou. bigger but I don't put lots of hours on the machine so it's not a big deal. The bosses for the pin get worn a little too I think from the forces put on the pins. There wasn't much of the Loctite 660 that squeezed out the top when the bushing was pounded in which I think is a good thing as it should fill any slight gaps on the bore. It's nice that it doesn't dry in the presence of air otherwise it could have hardened in the middle groove of the bushing preventing the pin from being greaseable. Hopefully I'll be trying the backhoe out soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave....... The best way to measure inside bore diameter is using a snap gauge aka telescoping gauge. https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piec...e2e0a24933b2a5 This isn't a very good set, but if you're careful, and do repeated measurements, they will get you by. Good set of Starrett gauges can be had on Ebay for a fairly reasonable price.

Any kind of dial gauge is, in reality, a comparator...or indicator. They will tell you if a bore is tapered, but the measurements indicated on the dial aren't to be believed unless you check the calibration with a micrometer.

BTW... I'm glad the job turned out well. I was hoping it would.

Post Thanks / Like

The spring caliper would have told me if some of the bore was bigger or smaller kind of like a go no-go gauge but I never checked. The hole looked close so I went for it and got the bushing in. You can tell how many times I ran the boring bar in the bore by how many chips are on the drill press. At least it was worth it in the end.