Thread: Practice Metal

Post Thanks / Like

Practice Metal

I found a great place to get some drops/cutoffs. I talked to the manager of this location, told him I'm getting ready to take welding classes, and wanted to get some practice material. He had more than this, but for a cheap price, I just took these home on a whim. Of course......I'm gonna stop by often! The rebar came from another source.....guy who is the foreman and builds major warehouses, etc. Likely, I'm going to cut these into smaller pieces, and do several practice welds.

Name:  practice metal.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  141.9 KB Name:  practice metal-rebar.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  107.7 KB
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Miller Spoolmate 150
    Primeweld cut 60 Plasma Cutter
    Milwaukee Chop Saw
    Bauer Portaband Saw w/Swag Table
    Dewalt, Milwaukee, Porter Cable 4.5 grinders
    Mag Drill/Annular Cutters
    ArcUnion J-20 Portable Rod Oven
    Vevor pipe stands

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Practice Metal

Are the crosses the same? If yes, I would save them for a project. Looks like you got a project not scrap.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice little score!

Most pros in the trades are pretty nice, and will often give you some material/items for free if you are nice, are going to use it for yourself, and it isn't too much of a hastle.

If they can't outright give it to you they will sell it to you deeply discounted usually. This goes for construction as well - it never hurts to ask!

I agree with tapwelder, I see most of a small (but strong) welding table right there.

Break down the crosses for 4 legs, use rebar for leg stretchers, use the i beam for the top, might cut off one of the flanges and use it for something.

Building actual things gives you a ton of experience in not only welding but actual fabrication
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 07-15-2022 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Are the crosses the same? If yes, I would save them for a project. Looks like you got a project not scrap.
    Yes on the cross braces. Would make nice bench supports, eh? The other is square tube, 6” and 1/4” thick. Also a 10” Ibeam -1’4” thick. The guy had almost a dozen 2”x2” square tube, about 30” long in the same bin, and had another bin with some 3/16” plate scraps of nice size. I have about 2/3 rds sheet of 3/16” on hand, so I will probably go back next week to see what he has available.
    Last edited by metalmelter2021; 07-15-2022 at 02:56 PM.
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Miller Spoolmate 150
    Milwaukee Chop Saw
    Vevor pipe stands

Post Thanks / Like

I’m thinking about a plasma cutting table with rebar top[!?]
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Miller Spoolmate 150
    Milwaukee Chop Saw
    Vevor pipe stands

6. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful, some grades of rebar are hardened or high carbon (can't remember which) and may be difficult to weld. https://weldingheadquarters.com/how-to-weld-rebar/
    Miller Multimatic 255

8. Likes California, rhunt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Be careful, some grades of rebar are hardened or high carbon (can't remember which) and may be difficult to weld. https://weldingheadquarters.com/how-to-weld-rebar/
    Louie, thank you very much for that link on weldable/non-weldable rebar. Excellent read! You guys come thru with helpful info, and that is the precise reason I decided to join this forum.
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Miller Spoolmate 150
    Milwaukee Chop Saw
    Vevor pipe stands

10. Likes Louie1961, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could take this rebars, cut 4 pieces 6" long and weld them together. then just run stringer beads, for practice and dunk in a bucket of water to cool in between beads.
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Although that site has some good information, it also has some inconsistencies. Under "selecting the correct filler", he talks about the two methods (stick & MIG) of welding A615 Grade 60, and the correct filler (E9015-X, et al), whereas below under "Can A615 rebar be welded?", he says "A615 rebar is a high-strength steel alloy which is not suitable for welding. A615 rebar is susceptible to cracking. In case there is a need to weld A615 rebar, it is necessary to preheat it adequately." [Highlighting mine]

13. Likes Oscar liked this post