+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tig torch suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

tig torch suggestions

My machine (Lincoln Aspect 230) came with a pretty cumbersome torch. I'd like to get a smaller one.

Looking at this guy

https://usaweld.com/collections/linc...27920195715155

Or this one from Lincoln:

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en/p...k?sku=K1782-14

not familiar with what is available because I have always just used what came with the machines. Is the Lincoln any better or worth the extra money? Was thinking to go Flex but never used one. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: tig torch suggestions

I have only used Airco .
    But I have used a lot of mig guns they all about same.
    Water cool is more flexible but pain too with water and coolants need.

There a lot of tig uses and will give great advice too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBill View Post
    My machine (Lincoln Aspect 230) came with a pretty cumbersome torch. I'd like to get a smaller one.

Looking at this guy

https://usaweld.com/collections/linc...27920195715155

Or this one from Lincoln:

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en/p...k?sku=K1782-14

not familiar with what is available because I have always just used what came with the machines. Is the Lincoln any better or worth the extra money? Was thinking to go Flex but never used one. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah this will be a light air cooled torch.

Post Thanks / Like

and now for some advice the OP can actually use....

JamesBill,

Both of those TIG torches are relatively similar. They are both 17 "sized" so they are typically rated at 150A DC. The AC rating is sometimes "equal" but in reality the TIG torch will always heat up more on AC. They will work for you machine, but not at full output (230A) for very long. The torch itself will heat up, as will the internal copper conductor, but too many times at extreme temps will deteriorate the hose material at the brass fitting inside the torch handle. Your machine came with the 26-series 25ft air cooled torch? So long as you know you will be limited to how much amperage you can use, and that the 17 isn't that much smaller than the 26, go with the CK model from HTP (usaweld). If you really want to shrink the size of the torch, get a 20-series swivel head, which is a water cooled torch that obviously needs a water-cooler. With Superflex hoses, it's a whole 'nother ballgame, and with a rating of 250A DC & AC 100% duty cycle, you won't have to compromise anything.
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-16-2022 at 09:35 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

5. Likes G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    and now for some advice the OP can actually use....

JamesBill,

Both of those TIG torches are relatively similar. They are both 17 "sized" so they are typically rated at 150A DC. The AC rating is sometimes "equal" but in reality the TIG torch will always heat up more on AC. They will work for you machine, but not at full output (230A) for very long. The torch itself will heat up, as will the internal copper conductor, but too many times at extreme temps will deteriorate the hose material at the brass fitting inside the torch handle. Your machine came with the 26-series 25ft air cooled torch? So long as you know you will be limited to how much amperage you can use, and that the 17 isn't that much smaller than the 26, go with the CK model from HTP (usaweld). If you really want to shrink the size of the torch, get a 20-series swivel head, which is a water cooled torch that obviously needs a water-cooler. With Superflex hoses, it's a whole 'nother ballgame, and with a rating of 250A DC & AC 100% duty cycle, you won't have to compromise anything.
    My time at high amps will be limited. My machine did come with a 26 so I want a 17 so all my collets etc fit.

This video shows how big and cumbersome this torch is to meet that amp rating at 13:33

The Lincoln torch I linked is what he compared it too but I take it from your reply the cheaper one from USA weld is also good to go. The sad thing is I have had this machine a week and didn't notice this torch was flex.

Post Thanks / Like

My time at high amps will be limited. My machine did come with a 26 so I want a 17 so all my collets etc fit.

The Lincoln torch I linked is what he compared it too but I take it from your reply the cheaper one from USA weld is also good to go. The sad thing is I have had this machine a week and didn't notice this torch was flex.

That being the case, I say get the CK Torch from usaweld. They put together the torch/cable assemblies there with all CK Worldwide parts, so they usually offer a standard neck, flex, and swivel head, in the 17 series so all your consumables will fit. Call them up and they will make you whatever you need. Actually, they have it directly there on the website in the drop-down menu with the options.

8. Likes JamesBill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As Oscar stated go with CK Master TIG brand, just about all of their torches are rated at 100% duty cycle for both AC and DC, the Lincoln you
    posted is rated at 60%
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

Check out WeldTec/TecTorch/Speedway torches. Really nice stuff. Outifit is run by a guy who used to be an engineer for WeldCraft, then went off and improved on WeldCraft's designs.

Post Thanks / Like

Oscar is very good with TIG and he give you very good information on TIG.

My background is structural steel work and really big repairs using Fluxcore and Stick.

I would avoid water cooled and stay with air cool but only for my experience with MIG guns.

Good luck
    Dave

Yeah this will be a light air cooled torch.

Post Thanks / Like

The sad thing is I have had this machine a week and didn't notice this torch was flex.
    I can't imagine why one would not want "flex" (or better yet, "super flex" rubber) hoses on a torch. The air-cooled torches I've used were stiff and unwieldy, like wrestling a gator all the time. The 20 series water-cooled torch that came with my Syncrowave 250 is a joy to use by comparison. I later replaced the OEM torch with a WeldTec WT-20H (heavy duty) which can take all my Sync will ever throw at it (310A).

As for torch duty cycle, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the torch has a longer duty cycle than the machine that feeds it. If I recall correctly, the WeldTec WT-20H can take 310A at 100% whereas the Sync 250 can only put out 310A at around 25% duty cycle.
    Last edited by StandarDyne; 07-17-2022 at 08:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Oscar is very good with TIG and he give you very good information on TIG.

My background is structural steel work and really big repairs using Fluxcore and Stick.

I would avoid water cooled and stay with air cool but only for my experience with MIG guns.

Good luck
    Dave
    As usual, you offer relatively worthless advice when it comes to TIG.

My suggestion is for you to stay out of the TIG threads.

The OP wants a smaller torch. Water cooled torches are smaller than air cooled.

The OP should get a water cooled torch. He just needs to decide on which size, amp rating, and features, etc.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

14. Likes INXS2, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I said I am Fluxcore and stick not tig and water cooled mig guns.
    Not giving advice on tig.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    As usual, you offer relatively worthless advice when it comes to TIG.

My suggestion is for you to stay out of the TIG threads.

The OP wants a smaller torch. Water cooled torches are smaller than air cooled.

The OP should get a water cooled torch. He just needs to decide on which size, amp rating, and features, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

For the OP, another option to look at for making the existing torch head smaller is to get some of these.

I have stubby and stubby slammed at work and they help to get the torch head into tight places.

You can find these at trick tools

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Dave
    He wants tig torch suggestions. If you are not going to help on that topic, stay out.

Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

18. Likes INXS2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've welded with a lot of different style and size Tig torches. CK worldwide is a great option. If you're not going to be in the 200 amp plus range for more than 2 to 3 minutes at a time while giving it a 10 minute break a 17 size torch will have no problems for a while. Now if you want a 17 size with extra duty cycle you could look at CK worldwide 26 Trim Line. It is exactly the same size as a 17 and uses the same consumables. The only downside to it is it uses the larger cable (super flex) so its slightly less maneuverable. Just my $0.02.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weld_ View Post
    I've welded with a lot of different style and size Tig torches. CK worldwide is a great option. If you're not going to be in the 200 amp plus range for more than 2 to 3 minutes at a time while giving it a 10 minute break a 17 size torch will have no problems for a while. Now if you want a 17 size with extra duty cycle you could look at CK worldwide 26 Trim Line. It is exactly the same size as a 17 and uses the same consumables. The only downside to it is it uses the larger cable (super flex) so its slightly less maneuverable. Just my $0.02.
    Yeah I won't be throwing away the torch that came with the machine so I can switch to that for bigger stuff.

Right now the switch to water cooled would be about 2000 for torch and cooler so it isn't worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Superflex cables are worth every penny.

What are amperage are you welding and for how long?

Air cooled torches are fine but when they run at higher amps or longer times you end up spending a lot of time waiting for them to cool off or putting on band-aids on your blisters. The higher the amps and the longer you run the more you need either a bigger torch if air cooled or a water cooled torch. You can push a 150 amp torch beyond it's rating but it's going to heat up quickly.

After of few years of hobby welding TIG with a #26 sized air cooled torch I got a chance to use a #20 water cooled torch. It's so tiny and never it gets hot even at a full 200 amps. I went home and bought a #20 water cooled and built a cooler and never once regretted it.

22. Likes psacustomcreations, metalman21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave
    He's asking about TIG torches, so if you're not giving TIG advice why reply at all?
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

24. Likes John T, Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I won't be throwing away the torch that came with the machine so I can switch to that for bigger stuff.

Right now the switch to water cooled would be about 2000 for torch and cooler so it isn't worth it.
    No need to go with an expensive Lincoln cooler so you could make the switch for a lot less. In fact, I would recommend staying away from Lincoln coolers as they have a fairly poor reputation for supplying individual repair parts for coolers.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

26. Likes metalman21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    He's asking about TIG torches, so if you're not giving TIG advice why reply at all?
    I came here looking for soldering torch suggestions. Am I in the wrong place?

28. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you make the switch to a water cooled no. 20 you won't regret it. It can be done for far less. The only slight drawback might be having to plug the water cooler in separately if the Aspect doesn't have a built-in cooler power supply. I don't know the particulars on that 230.
    I set up an Esab with a used Binzel cooler from Ebay, model identical to a Miller Coolmate 3. Came with a brand new Procon pump. I have a no. 26 air cooled (Trimline) to use occasionally if I need to go mobile out of the shop. All my torches are CK with super-flex hoses, the plastic hoses suck.
    Last edited by metalman21; 07-17-2022 at 02:35 PM.
    Ernie F.

30. Likes JamesBill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    If you make the switch to a water cooled no. 20 you won't regret it. It can be done for far less. The only slight drawback might be having to plug the water cooler in separately if the Aspect doesn't have a built-in cooler power supply. I don't know the particulars on that 230.
    I set up an Esab with a used Binzel cooler from Ebay, model identical to a Miller Coolmate 3. Came with a brand new Procon pump. I have a no. 26 air cooled (Trimline) to use occasionally if I need to go mobile out of the shop. All my torches are CK with super-flex hoses, the plastic hoses suck.
    Yeah I had seen references to the Aspect only offering DC power for the cooler but if powering it separately is fine I guess I do have an affordable option. I'll keep that in mind if I find myself doing way more aluminum.

Ask one question, get educated on a better solution. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Why it doesn't come with a WC torch is a mystery to me. HTF are you gonna weld with 230A with an air-cooled torch? It's like selling a car with a lawnmower engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    Why it doesn't come with a WC torch is a mystery to me. HTF are you gonna weld with 230A with an air-cooled torch? It's like selling a car with a lawnmower engine.
    They offer it in multiple packages, so that some consumers end up upgrading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    They offer it in multiple packages, so that some consumers end up upgrading.
    That's just lame, and I bet a lot of noobies get screwed because they don't realize (yet) that they need a WC torch to weld aluminum. So they end up having to buy two torches instead of one. Win-win for the mfgr, lose-lose for the consumer.

I'd be tempted to call Lincoln, tell them to shove their stupid AC torch up their @ss, and send a torch appropriate for the machine. A cooler should also be "standard equipment" for a 230A machine.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I believe Miller had the same scheme going when I bought my Sync 250. Fortunately I knew enough before I bought it to get the cooler and WC torch. I would have been pissed if I had to add that stuff after buying the base machine...
    Last edited by StandarDyne; 07-17-2022 at 06:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist