Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most Dangerous Tool

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Dangerous Tool

My brother in-law Al needed to cut some brick retaining wall so he borrowed my dad's 9" grinder with a masonry cutting disc fitted. Dad was a retired builder and his grinder had been sitting for 15 years. As soon as Al touched the bricks the disc broke in half, one half spun off into the garden and the other fully embedded itself into his thigh. He managed to hobble to his car and drive to the hospital where they dug it out for him. Big scar. Always use a new disc if borrowing a grinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Just sounds DANGEROUS

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    JERRY-RIGGED coil spring compressor.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm left handed so any tool with one of those little buttons that lock the trigger on.
    I was standing on a ladder drilling into concrete with a 1/2 drill when the bit grabbed and trigger locked on. Made for a few tense moments.

4. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcguide View Post
    I'm left handed so any tool with one of those little buttons that lock the trigger on.
    I was standing on a ladder drilling into concrete with a 1/2 drill when the bit grabbed and trigger locked on. Made for a few tense moments.
    Precisely the reason all the lock buttons on my drills have been ground off flush. I was drilling up into the track frame on a Cat once and hit the trigger lock on one of those big Black and Decker 1/2" drills and broke a few bones in my hand when the bit caught and pinned me against a track roller. Once the smoke came out it released me.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish it had safety clutch.
    I use a lot of the Black and Decker 1/2" drills.
    I still have a Black and Decker 1/2" right angel drill. It give more grip when drilling it has two speed gear box.

I did own a Black and Decker 1" drills. Had #3 morse taper it was retired after turn two guy use drill around and around.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Precisely the reason all the lock buttons on my drills have been ground off flush. I was drilling up into the track frame on a Cat once and hit the trigger lock on one of those big Black and Decker 1/2" drills and broke a few bones in my hand when the bit caught and pinned me against a track roller. Once the smoke came out it released me.

Post Thanks / Like

In the machine shop, I would say the drill press, people get complacent. Next is the surface grinder followed by the lathe and mill equally. Wood shop saws followed by disc sanders. 4.5 is dangerous but the 9 inch with a bit of kick back is worse. To me it all depends on what we are working on and with.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

I had a zing slip by my glasses the other day, was using a cut off and it really bounced, I wasnt in line with it. I grind a lot and anything I can possibly do with a 4 1/2 and hard wheel I do. I see the first tool for a lot of guys is the disk and I used to before plasma but I dont care for them so much especially on electric. I also use the gaurds and I do not run cut off on a rotary or pencil especially doubly so without a gaurd. I LOVE gaurds and with proper management are an asset to control dros and aim away from operator.
    I work with guys in my shop with this, under cars they aint got to grind against a light fixture or sensitive part. They seem to understand a torch but often come from industrial and not a real concern to anyone in particular. Its second nature now for me to shoot it away on the floor instead of tool boxes, I mention a rotator vise in other posts and it allows for fast clamp in good or better positions and was meaning to get creative and come up with a targeted collector for grinding. But even in my welding area more real dust than grinding dust, its heavy and hits the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

We have custom air hose and no matter what get someone a klutz or not specifically trained and walk behind them, 3 people working where there should be 2 and cause a trip. Sharp sheet metal is a big one and in some shops a sander is a must for sheared work. I bought a big machine I should have sent back for that, no debur, was terrible. As part of my fabrication and work area not scared to zing a sharp edge.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-28-2022 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We have3 custom air hose and no matter what get someone a klutz or not specifically trained and walk behind them, 3 people working where there should be 2 and cause a trip. Air is something you got to make as easy or eaier thjan dropping it on the floor. It takes a little discipline but it its designed in it works. So many people are so used to using the floor as a workbench its hard to retrain them.
    Nother thing, I bout cut my helpers finger off when in a rush to use a circ cause my crap batteries were dead to the right tool. New good stuff designed for the right power with right bits etc so easy and safe cvompared to some wrist breakers and I actually like the lower speed of the grinder as good or better for light fab where its zings in every direction and scuffing paint and rust.
    Another tip of the day, back to knives. Always Stanley blade in a Stanley knife and we thro away any knockoff or other brand. They are not the same.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-28-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The spring compressors with the locking pin are much safer then the ones without, however, they are also more bulky and don't fit in tight spaces so you have to get creative to get them on and off.
    Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post
    In the machine shop, I would say the drill press, people get complacent.
    x10

Can't believe I forgot about the drill press, that's almost gotten me a time or two and I'm generally pretty careful!

Post Thanks / Like

Typically the most dangerous tool is the person operating it at the time. It's that simple.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    x10

Can't believe I forgot about the drill press, that's almost gotten me a time or two and I'm generally pretty careful!
    I haven't had any problems since I put the cross slide vice on.... I really like it for lining things up and holding them solid.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

15. Likes Meltedmetal, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst is not tool.
    It is summer time drink 12 pack of beer before lunch. Today it would include California cash Corp 💸 💰 🤑 .
    Anything can happen. Work on buildings it more fun.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I haven't had any problems since I put the cross slide vice on.... I really like it for lining things up and holding them solid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    The worst is not tool.
    It is summer time drink 12 pack of beer before lunch. Today it would include California cash Corp �� �� �� .
    Anything can happen. Work on buildings it more fun.

Dave
    Oh, I like a cold beer as much as anyone, but I never drink or toke (left most of that behind in my college days) when I'm working or running heavy equipment. That's just a very, very bad idea...

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

18. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Monday after payday is great day.
    Only do hammer work.
    I would save all hammer work knowing payday was coming.

Dave

Oh, I like a cold beer as much as anyone, but I never drink or toke (left most of that behind in my college days) when I'm working or running heavy equipment. That's just a very, very bad idea...
    Last edited by smithdoor; 07-30-2022 at 03:29 PM.

20. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    Typically the most dangerous tool is the person operating it at the time. It's that simple.
    Yep, if we could eliminate tool operators, we could eliminate tool accidents.

22. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    Yep, if we could eliminate tool operators, we could eliminate tool accidents.
    Maybe.... I bet there's somebody out there that's tangled with a CNC.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe.... I bet there's somebody out there that's tangled with a CNC.
    I would call that an "operator"... or at least a "meddler."

Like i said, no operators, no injured operators. But I guess that's obvious and self-evident, kinda like the post I was originally replying to.
    Last edited by StandarDyne; 07-30-2022 at 05:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hands down a ladder is by far the most dangerous thing I can think of. Seen a lot of serious injuries from tools of all kinds grinders, saws, ect and almost all of them involved a ladder!

Post Thanks / Like

I would not call this dangerous.
    I had a 1" hand drill it two guy to do drilling.
    It was retired after to guys using the drill was being turn around and around. I was about 50 feet away running to unplug this drill till the drill unplug it self.

Everyone agree never to use the drill again. The good news no one was hurt may a heart check.

Dave

I can picture this happening.

Back in the day when I worked underground in the coal mines i was drillin a shot in the monkey headin. So Im drillin the lower holes for the bottom and this drill is just chewing its way through, drillin so fast the cuttings arent coming out fast enough and I cant hold it back, this Jap drill had no reverse on it and I knew if I shut the drill down there is no way on Gods green earth Im gonna get that drill steel back. Sure enough it bound up and the drill starts whipping around like a propeller on a B52 bomber and little 160 pd Popeye is spinnin with the damn thing. The air hose wrapped itself around me about 15 times, Howie runs back to shut the air off...he didnt have to...the hose itself pulled off the manifold so the drill stops spinning and there I am about 2 feet in the air hangin upside down with 15 ft or so of air hose wrapped around me hangin onto a drill that aint drillin and noone can see a damn thing because the air from the manifold is blowin dust dirt and anything else that nailed down around in the air. Finally Howie found the manifold and then found the valve to shut the air off. When ther dust cleared a bit he made his way back in after this fiasco and looked at me hangin there like some crazy Halloween ornament. Woukd you like me to get you off of that he asks me. Gee Howie that would be awful considerate of you to do that. (Yes that WAS the question and my answer). It took him a good 20 minutes to untangle all that crap and get me off of that drill...Tunzafun

27. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford, Roert42, Weldalittle, Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post

Back in the day when I worked underground in the coal mines i was drillin a shot in the monkey headin. So Im drillin the lower holes for the bottom and this drill is just chewing its way through, drillin so fast the cuttings arent coming out fast enough and I cant hold it back, this Jap drill had no reverse on it and I knew if I shut the drill down there is no way on Gods green earth Im gonna get that drill steel back. Sure enough it bound up and the drill starts whipping around like a propeller on a B52 bomber and little 160 pd Popeye is spinnin with the damn thing. The air hose wrapped itself around me about 15 times, Howie runs back to shut the air off...he didnt have to...the hose itself pulled off the manifold so the drill stops spinning and there I am about 2 feet in the air hangin upside down with 15 ft or so of air hose wrapped around me hangin onto a drill that aint drillin and noone can see a damn thing because the air from the manifold is blowin dust dirt and anything else that nailed down around in the air. Finally Howie found the manifold and then found the valve to shut the air off. When ther dust cleared a bit he made his way back in after this fiasco and looked at me hangin there like some crazy Halloween ornament. Woukd you like me to get you off of that he asks me. Gee Howie that would be awful considerate of you to do that. (Yes that WAS the question and my answer). It took him a good 20 minutes to untangle all that crap and get me off of that drill...Tunzafun
    You didn't say how long recovery took.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    You didn't say how long recovery took.
    To be honest I didnt get hurt. Its a good thing it was before peacetime or I probly would have crapped my pants. Me and Howie had a good laugh over it and cussed up storm gettin that drill back out though. Turned it it got bent anyway from someone hangin onto it while was spinning

30. Likes Roert42, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

About two months I purchased a electric post hole auger. On first I was waiting for auger to to get stick. It did they had a safety cluch build in the auger. Thank God for for a safety chuck.

Now if only did that for drills.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post

32. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

About two months I purchased a electric post hole auger. On first I was waiting for auger to to get stick. It did they had a safety cluch build in the auger. Thank God for for a safety chuck.

Now if only did that for drills.

Dave
    Same monkey headin same drill about 2 months later Howie was drillin and it got bound up...Howie wasnt so lucky though..he got rapped in the head 3 or 4 times from the handle on the drill and ended up with about 30 stitches in his head and face. Thats why I didnt let go of the drill when I did it, but it ripped the drill right out of his hands. Mining isnt an easy job but we did have fun...Tunzovit