Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: syncrowave 250?

Post Thanks / Like

syncrowave 250?

which is a better machine the 250 or the 350, what should I look for when buying one other than welding on it to make sure it works, how easy are they to repair, how often do they breakdown and are parts still available for them? somebody on the forum stated that the syncrowaves are inverters. a fabrication guy told me to get a transformer rather than an inverter. what do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: syncrowave 250?

Quote Originally Posted by miller#1 View Post
    somebody on the forum stated that the syncrowaves are inverters. a fabrication guy told me to get a transformer rather than an inverter.

what do you guys think?
    I think you are highly confused.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of welding experience; I'm just wondering from machine to machine how they differ. I know a 250 will weld thinner material, but how thick will it weld?
    also, how thin will a 350 weld? I don't like Lincoln; I always have to scratch start on the Lincoln machines I've used. that being said I want to stay with miller. what do you guys recommend as far as a tig/stick machine that does both ac and dc? i would like to have a water cooler capability.
    Last edited by miller#1; 07-17-2022 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of welding experience.

Best of luck.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

which is a better machine the 250 or the 350, what should I look for when buying one other than welding on it to make sure it works, how easy are they to repair, how often do they breakdown and are parts still available for them? somebody on the forum stated that the syncrowaves are inverters. a fabrication guy told me to get a transformer rather than an inverter. what do you guys think?

Which is better?

If I'm not mistaken, all the data about most modern machines is readily available from the companies, and getting it from the source insures it will be accurate.

Just curious; do you know the basic differences between the systems using a transformer vs an inverter?

As for my opinions, I like the old machines I've had for years (and the older free ones I've picked up and hope to restore) but have no way of knowing breakdown statistics, comparison workings of machines I don't have, or for that matter, what kind of welding you might consider doing.

Last edited by Oldiron2; 07-17-2022 at 08:39 PM.

6. Likes miller#1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

inverters manipulate the electrical current to create ac or dc, I can't remember which comes first. whereas a transformer is sort of organic.
    won't be doing any portable welding at least not for a few years therefore don't really need the portability of an inverter. I thought syncrowaves were transformers, but somebody on this forum just told me that syncrowaves are inverters?
    i want to be able to weld exotic metals like titanium, Inconel, nickel, copper, silver and gold. along with the basic stuff like stainless, mild steel, aluminum and cast iron.

Post Thanks / Like

John T, thanks for the help I appreciate it!
    true wisdom only comes from pain- I've never heard anything truer. I mean that truthfully
    Last edited by miller#1; 07-17-2022 at 09:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The 250 and the 350 weld about the same. Both are transformers, and neither are easy to repair if the main PC board fails. Board repair or a new board is between $600 and $900.

The thing that would sway me one way or another is a pulser and or sequencer. If the 350 has the pulser or sequencer installed, I would go for that machine.

10. Likes miller#1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm picturing the old tall syncrowave 350s with a handle that you turn to switch polarity not the new ones on millers Websight. are we talking about the same welder? I used an aerowave in class for about 3 years. I would jump back and forth between my booth with the aerowave and the taller syncrowaves. had a syncrowave 200 but no other machine I've welded with even comes close to comparing to an aerowave. most of my experience is in tig welding. i want an aerowave realistically but they dont seem to be easy to find.
    Last edited by miller#1; 07-17-2022 at 10:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want an Aerowave then just go get a decent inverter welder. It will weld better than the Syncrowave or the Aerowave. The Syncrowave 250 and 350 are essentially the same machine and one will not weld thinner than the other, UNLESS it has a pulser and a sequencer installed/built in. They are both transformer machines controlled by an SCR array that was modulated by a printed circuit board. If that board fails, the machine becomes a useless anchor. The older 250's never had a pulse option, the newer ones did. The 350's often can be found with those options installed. The Aerowave was a hybrid SCR/transformer/inverter machine. Based on everything I have ever read, they were NOT known for their reliability. I think they broke down a LOT. They are NOT worth finding. Get an HTP invertig or a Miller Dynasty and you will be much happier.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

right on thanks! I'll just get a dynasty. how often do parts fail on the dynasty's?

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure if you do a search on here you can find a couple of horror stories about Dynasty board failures, but those always seem to be after the warranty expired. But in general they are great machines. The HTP welders are also worth looking into. I have NEVER heard of one failing at all in the last 1o years I have been on this board. I have also never heard of a dissatisfied owner with one of the HTP units. They are made in Italy and are built like tanks. Fronious, ESAB, Lincoln, Lorch and others all make decent TIG inverters as well. Generally speaking I would feel safe with any of the above brands.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

do you know anything about the new dynastys? miller changed the design within the last few days. i hope they are not made with cheaper materials now they look kinda cheap.
    Last edited by miller#1; 07-18-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If the board fails it can be repaired and I keep a small inventory of some refurbished syncrowave boards and aerowave boards. Aerowave's have their share of issues, but they are all repairable.

17. Likes miller#1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That isn't accurate in regards to repair pricing for the syncrowave boards.

Post Thanks / Like

The older machine is the harder parts will to come by.
    The manufacturers like price parts so buy a new machine. Typically they have parts less than 20 years

The low end welders have very few replacement parts on market. There exceptions like the Harbor Freight 180 . Most of HF 180 is same as the HF170.
    FYI the 170 and 180 are mig welders only

Dave

20. Likes miller#1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

im kinda all over the place with this thread. sorry for the confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

As Louie eluded to, they make a cheap one now, brandy new, plugs in to a common outlet. Costs almost nothing.
    2nd,,, and you aint the only one so bear with this but,,,,, I gotta have a Dialarc cause its the greatest thing I used in school etc when the machine a guy should be looking at is a DC buzzer or a Maxstar type even better. You are asking about welding machines, you are asking weldors, should be asking a salesman,,,, what is the right machine for me and I am about sure a good one could pick the right unit in 4 questions etc, maybe 5.

23. Likes miller#1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the previous experience in 3 years of class doesnt make for,,,, well something. I try not to let my bias guide this. My own entry experience in heavy ironwork but doesnt mean a guy that wants to build a little lawn art with his grandkids needs a 400 SA even if it is a great machine and a wonderful deal.
    If you do not have a home welding machine today and have any work to do besides practice coupons run down to the store imediately and buy a new 210 MVP feeder with 030 and solid wire,,,,, dont ask why, dont ask what, just do it and you can thank me later.

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell yuou this to some extent. You dont think it will happen but it will and its easier if you pay attn to a few been down the road. (not that I always did that,,, rarely so I have experience) but can remember thinking 20 yrs in was something and now 43 years since I took my first all position open butt test for Ironwork. I have a version of most of the machines so to speak and could get any one I wanted, some discount and cheap even, but almost any and any way to power it, I got a forklift and a crane, I can haul and lift it. This is what I use.
    I probably might be able to pick up a tig and hire on if I had to but to get anything done its a mig first then the buzzer to burn some free rod.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

26. Likes miller#1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I owned not one, but two syncrowaves, for decades. It was a great welder, but honestly, it was only great because I got them so cheap. I actually thought the Syncrowave was a decent stick welder as well as a decent TIG welder. But compared to modern inverters that take up so much less room, use less power, etc. its no competition. And the modern inverters weld so much nicer. If you are strapped for cash and you want to buy a syncrowave, great, go for it (same for an aerowave). But if you are going to spend real money, don't spend it on an old transformer machine. That would be my advice.
    Miller Multimatic 255

28. Likes miller#1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got mine cheap, 100$, tipped my bud the tv tech to fix a board 100$. Bought a bottle, 330. Had some torches I got at a sale and a fist full of tunk. Boiught 2 boxes of rod in 25 yrs, did and caught my work on the first box and it took a year or so and still have mosto my 2nd. The 210 and a spooly replaced it for the work I do. I own a lot of alum most people dont, it makes sense. I got 200 in to the machine, its ok but I can,,,, makes a difference. Its donne with then and I own it now, not going to upgrade or replace it but if I was going to would be something economical new with the features that were not even invented when they made the big ole monster.
    These kinds of things are really for a guy knows his way around a fuseboxand has the service and the means.
    A new modern machine isnt even a demand factor really, I guess they figure if you are welding not in a hot tub, this is like adding a common electric cloths drier except so intermittent not even a concern to most modern service and some not even so modern mnaybe.
    Made for a dryer outlet conversion and as I mention I could do it all other ways but I can fully appreciate a machine with factory cord to a legal common outlet ansd to top it off as a super bonus so many now work so well from 120V,,, I understand its a great ida you can fix backhoe buckets in the back yard but the utility of a modern welder is something to those grew up with older equipment was a pain in the arse to power.

Post Thanks / Like

Louie,,, really,,, if you were a real bud would be helping me to get him to run down and get a yellow 180 and trade me for the synch. I am real tempted to see what my little max is worth is a sideways move to that. You have me convinced that is a deal. I ran a 10 against an 11 a while back and really forgot the difference as well as was mentioned by others the Hobart 6011 acting funny and stalling, stumbles and sticks on restarts. Kind of anoying and for doing fussy field work not so impressive.
    I have hooked up the Max next to the DC buzzer on 7018 and only stick rod I ever ran on the synch was 1 3/32 when I got it to see if it worked. I got a stinger socket on it, should chuck a couple big ole rods in it someday. But thing is, the DC buzzer is really so good in the sense that the machine is better than I could do and even back in the day never notice night and day between it and anything else, not really.
    New machines are quiet too.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-19-2022 at 03:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The Veg still hasnt sent me 50$ for talking him in to a couple reasonable machines. Almost brings a tear to the eye when he came asking about every machiune they invented then we steer him a little and in the end has a very good match. Had some help run a circuit and the fit is really good. I could be wrong,,,just seems like a shot in the dark, have been with assumptions about original posters so all my babble is in general to the nature of diy and find most can make a thousand steel welds for every aluminum unless it involves specialized stuff etc but , build fix make it go is a different matter.

Post Thanks / Like

whoops