Thread: Miller Blue Star 2E AC/DC Question

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Blue Star 2E AC/DC Question

Howdy y'all,
    I picked up a new to me Blue Star a few weeks ago and have been working to get it running using a lot of the information from this website.

Unfortunately, whoever owned this machine before me cut off the decal portion that had the SN stamped, and there doesn't seem to be any other stickers or SN indicators. Hopefully, that won't affect my question.

I have 70 AC OCV at the work and electrode terminals around 3000 RPM, the machine will strike a strong arc, but as soon as the engine loads, it falls in RPM, the arc dies and then the engine revs back up to weld RPM. I also have proper voltage at the outlets in power mode.

This is leading me to believe that this is an engine or a governor problem on the Tecumseh.

Do I just need to adjust the fuel mixture screw or take the carb apart and clean it up? Engine runs strong otherwise. Any input would be appreciated! TIA.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller Blue Star 2E AC/DC Question

Sounds like this is a older welder when you say {adjust the fuel mixture screw }.

If so I would look at carburetor and see needs cleaning and check the rest fuel lines and tank.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by aoestreich View Post
    Howdy y'all,
    I picked up a new to me Blue Star a few weeks ago and have been working to get it running using a lot of the information from this website.

Unfortunately, whoever owned this machine before me cut off the decal portion that had the SN stamped, and there doesn't seem to be any other stickers or SN indicators. Hopefully, that won't affect my question.

I have 70 AC OCV at the work and electrode terminals around 3000 RPM, the machine will strike a strong arc, but as soon as the engine loads, it falls in RPM, the arc dies and then the engine revs back up to weld RPM. I also have proper voltage at the outlets in power mode.

This is leading me to believe that this is an engine or a governor problem on the Tecumseh.

Do I just need to adjust the fuel mixture screw or take the carb apart and clean it up? Engine runs strong otherwise. Any input would be appreciated! TIA.

Post Thanks / Like

Get stinger and ground close enough so you can manually open up the throttle while maintaining an arc. If this works then it's a governor problem. It could be the governor spring needs moving to a different hole. Some pics would help us help you.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aoestreich View Post
    Howdy y'all,

Your also running a motor that was designed before ethanol fuel. It wouldn't hurt to clean the carb and tune the motor to better run this type of fuel. Or clean the carb and buy non-ethanol fuel in it.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

Look under Miller manuals and and there should be a trouble shooting section. There will be several different manuals based on the serial number but the basic machine and operation should be similar. Not sure if your machine has an idle control or not. If not could be a governor issue or a fuel issue like Freebird suggested.

Post Thanks / Like

As mla2ofus indicated it may be a governor issue. I've corrected "bogging under load" issues with older units by replacing the governor spring with new. Springs can lose their spring rate over time especially if/when they get rusty which will affect governor response.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

7. Likes Kpack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What you have is a plugged-up jet in the carburetor almost guaranteed or it is at least the first thing you should investigate IMHO.

Get that cleaned out and the engine will accept the load properly without dying out. It is lack of fuel. Seen this many times with machines.
    Last edited by danielplace; 08-06-2022 at 08:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Clean if first, do it before speculating about every possible cause. Even if its not the whole problem wont hurt abn wont be guessing. That carb might have a very fine bleed hole it seems gets plugged. Its about invisible little fugger, dont give up, do it in the light and use hi pressure air.