Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone near Ventura, CA want to scrap a submarine?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone near Ventura, CA want to scrap a submarine?

Ok, I'll admit I may have watched too much Jacque Cousteau as a kid but I have always wanted a submarine, so when one popped up on psubs for cheap, I bit. I made the drive down. Trailer looked a bit sketchy but I hoped it might make it home. Unfortunately I didn't even make it to the trailer shop to pack the bearings without nearly losing a wheel. I ended up deflating the tire and pulling the hub to get it off the road. Looking at the trailer in the morning light it's clearly not road worthy. Now I'm looking for someplace to strip the motors, batteries, and cut off the conning tower. The rest I was planning to scrapping. If your in the Ventura, CA area and can help scrap a heavy sub you're welcome to the hull and trailer. I think the axles are 7K rated.

Send me a PM and I'll get you my cellphone number. I'd like to be heading home in a day or two if possible.

Name:  IMG_6555.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  104.5 KB

2. Likes dave_dj1, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone near Ventura, CA want to scrap a submarine?

The sub looks very interesting. Any chance you could post a few more pics?

I am.no where near you so can't help with the scrapping.

I grew up with Jacques Cousteau as well and might be able to find some people who know a little about your sub.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

maybe drag it to the nearest walmart or somewhere (strip what u want) spray paint free on the side, and head north. the kind of people youd be encountering , arent anything like what ur used to back home - i wouldnt be hanging around there for that sorta thing
    Last edited by 123weld; 07-20-2022 at 02:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Ok, I'll admit I may have watched too much Jacque Cousteau as a kid but I have always wanted a submarine, so when one popped up on psubs for cheap, I bit. I made the drive down. Trailer looked a bit sketchy but I hoped it might make it home. Unfortunately I didn't even make it to the trailer shop to pack the bearings without nearly losing a wheel. I ended up deflating the tire and pulling the hub to get it off the road. Looking at the trailer in the morning light it's clearly not road worthy. Now I'm looking for someplace to strip the motors, batteries, and cut off the conning tower. The rest I was planning to scrapping. If your in the Ventura, CA area and can help scrap a heavy sub you're welcome to the hull and trailer. I think the axles are 7K rated.

Send me a PM and I'll get you my cellphone number. I'd like to be heading home in a day or two if possible.

"I impulse bought a cheap submarine and it didn't work out"...

Seriously, though. Are you planning on building a submarine or a semi-sub? Or are you just saving the tower as a conversation piece?

If you build a sub, PLEASE make a thread about it!

Edit: probably worth saving some of those tanks, too... maybe?

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 07-20-2022 at 07:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

my big question would be, are u really plaaning on getting inside the thing. u couldnt hold a gun to my head to make me get in something like that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    "I impulse bought a cheap submarine and it didn't work out"...
    Seriously, though. Are you planning on building a submarine or a semi-sub? Or are you just saving the tower as a conversation piece?
    If you build a sub, PLEASE make a thread about it!
    Edit: probably worth saving some of those tanks, too... maybe?
    Building a sub has been on my to-do list since I was a kid. The opportunity came up, I had time this summer, so I figured I'd make a trip of it. Stuff that would be easy to fix back home is proving challenging here. I wasn't really keen on scrapping it but it was parked on the street and I needed to solve the problem. I've made arrangements to take it back to the storage yard in the morning. I'll likely drive home tomorrow.

I was hoping this would provide enough of the expensive bits to get me motivated on my own sub project. I had planned on re-using the conning tower and a few other sections of the hull. The 5 foot diameter sphere isn't perfectly round and likely needs to be scrapped. The dive characteristics of it are not ideal.

I have a set of drawings for a K-350 two man submersible that I'd like to build. I may opt for a smaller one man sub because I doubt anyone would really be crazy enough to go for a dive with me.

8. Likes whtbaron, 52 Ford, WenValley, labparamour liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=forhire;8874724an sub because I doubt anyone would really be crazy enough to go for a dive with me.[/QUOTE]

id probaably do it if we stayed above in the swimming pool, and we ddint close the latch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    id probaably do it if we stayed above in the swimming pool, and we ddint close the latch
    as a matter a fact, i already done it when i was a kid. it was either disneyland or universal studios had a ride like that (anyone rember it

11. Likes xmmancharl, N2 Welding, Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Building a sub has been on my to-do list since I was a kid. The opportunity came up, I had time this summer, so I figured I'd make a trip of it. Stuff that would be easy to fix back home is proving challenging here. I wasn't really keen on scrapping it but it was parked on the street and I needed to solve the problem. I've made arrangements to take it back to the storage yard in the morning. I'll likely drive home tomorrow.

I was hoping this would provide enough of the expensive bits to get me motivated on my own sub project. I had planned on re-using the conning tower and a few other sections of the hull. The 5 foot diameter sphere isn't perfectly round and likely needs to be scrapped. The dive characteristics of it are not ideal.

I have a set of drawings for a K-350 two man submersible that I'd like to build. I may opt for a smaller one man sub because I doubt anyone would really be crazy enough to go for a dive with me.
    How deep do you plan on going? As long as you keep it shallower than maybe 100 feet, you could bail out with SCUBA and have enough time to decompress.

Post Thanks / Like

Hell, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I can't swim, I'm used to seeing the bottom. My parents went in a tourist sub in Mexico, but something went wrong with the exhaust and they almost got gassed. I'd still do it...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Ever seen an underwater scooter?

I guess if a K-350 is the equivalent of a 2 seater car, this thing is like a Vespa.

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Hell, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I can't swim, I'm used to seeing the bottom. My parents went in a tourist sub in Mexico, but something went wrong with the exhaust and they almost got gassed. I'd still do it...
    Can't swim? Next year when your fields are flooded, you need to go out there and learn!

17. Likes Meltedmetal, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Decades ago I remember there was an article in Popular Mechanics about making your own submarine type vehicle. I say 'type' as it only submerged 5-6' and was suspended below the surface from two outriggers sort of like a catamaran. If I remember correctly the way it submerged and rose was the two wings came together to sink the center pod where you sat and separated to raise the pod or something like that. I thought it was the coolest thing....still do actually.
    I'd go with you Forhire :-)..............Mike

Post Thanks / Like

The late owner of a local greenhouse was building(having built) this boat. I was getting mulch and asked if the boat was still around. After he settled down I asked if I could look at it. It's too big to be moved so I'm not sure what Jack's plans were but hooo doggy what a bunch of scrap.
    Name:  Boat.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  121.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

i just got off the phone w/ gavin, he said its ok to dump it off in front of his mansion. then u can head down to disneyland for a real ride, and see if u can catch u one of them mermaids

Last edited by 123weld; 07-21-2022 at 04:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    i just got off the phone w/ gavin, he said its ok to dump it off in front of his mansion.

Sorry for the delayed responses. I left my laptop charger at one of the cheap hotels.

I pulled it back to the storage yard and Jim and I removed the batteries, electronics, and all the other bits from the inside. We then drained almost 20 gallons of compensating fluid (appears to be WD-40) from the motors and pulled them off the sub using an engine hoist. By that time it was late in the day so I strapped everything down and headed home. I pulled in last night.

I'm now working on a plan to finish reducing it. We discussed cutting the conning tower off and putting it in Brian's front yard as a type of memorial. He years building the sub and was just finally was doing sea trials when he passed. Here are a bunch of videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz_...szab4AA/videos

Name:  IMG_6556.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  63.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6558.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  90.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6561.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  74.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6559.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  59.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6560.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  60.5 KB

22. Likes labparamour, whtbaron, 52 Ford, 12V71, 123weld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a 2 hour tour around the USS Saratoga in this submarine. My daughter got a tour of the mothership including the subcontrol center. In 40 years of diving this was the coolest dive i've done. Name:  IMG_0221.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  80.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

24. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakodiver View Post
    I got a 2 hour tour around the USS Saratoga in this submarine. My daughter got a tour of the mothership including the subcontrol center. In 40 years of diving this was the coolest dive i've done.
    That sub is very cool. The view must be phenomenal! I've always wondered how expensive an acrylic dome like that must cost.

26. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That sub is very cool. The view must be phenomenal! I've always wondered how expensive an acrylic dome like that must cost.
    Have you ever seen that show "Tanked"? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1849622/

I think they did something about that size in acrylic. It's been a while since I've seen that show, but maybe look at the prices of domed fish tanks? Ya gotta think, some of the big fish tanks might have 2" acrylic.

Post Thanks / Like

There might be cheaper alternatives to the dome. Years ago I remember reading an article on the guys building custom cars with bubble tops and I "think" they used plexiglas. The process involved making a double plywood frame with a hole in the middle of one side. They heated it in a large oven and used low air pressure to blow the "bubble". Pretty low tech really. I'm guessing you would need fairly thick plexi to withstand the pressures depending on your max. depth.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

That dome was at least 4" thick, maybe 6. It is a rich man's toy and rated to 1000 ft, LLoyd's registered and so on. If you have to ask the price...

30. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bakodiver View Post
    That dome was at least 4" thick, maybe 6. It is a rich man's toy and rated to 1000 ft, LLoyd's registered and so on. If you have to ask the price...
    What a wonderful opportunity to dive such a sub. I've seen this sub, or one similar, on TV. It's definitely cool. 1000 ft is just over 30 atmospheres or around 450 psi. Acrylic is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

<snip>

Is the ballast concrete? Could you have jack-hammered it out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Denis G View Post
    Is the ballast concrete? Could you have jack-hammered it out?
    wouldn't that be rather time consuming if you had to surface in a hurry ??
    :

34. Likes 52 Ford, Denis G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    wouldn't that be rather time consuming if you had to surface in a hurry ??
    As a fellow smart-a$$, I applaud you!

36. Likes Lis2323 liked this post