Thread: A big surprise!

Post Thanks / Like

A big surprise!

I had two little Atlas lathes. I probably spent $125. buying them. A few years ago, I faced the truth, I wasn't going to restore them. I gave them to a friend I knew would treat them well. I hoped he could make one from two.
    His restoration was over the top! He perfected each tiny part, replacing many, machining others, 3D printing accessories, & re chroming tiny widgets not available. I kidded him it was too perfect, he'd never use it.

He has used it many times, each time cleaning it & oiling to show quality perfection. He was dismayed to learn the base was not original, but a base from another machine altered to fit, he built new closely matching the specs of original.

A couple years ago he had a stroke. He's mostly recovered, but a bit shaky. This late spring he needed a new roof on his 1960s ranch house, couldn't find a roofer. Several calls failed to find anyone with available time. I drove past, was surprised he had the roof stripped & covered with roll sheeting, then no progress. I asked about it. He was desperate, roof was leaking. He stripped it, covered with roll underlayment, but couldn't find a roofer to reshingle. He confessed he didn't trust himself on the roof.

Seth & I shingled his roof. It wasn't his idea, I volunteered, I wouldn't accept payment.

Today, he presented me with the second lathe restored. The first was 1941 model year, I think a low production year for small lathes. Mine is 1945, I think also low production.

Name:  Atlas Lathe.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  99.8 KB
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A big surprise!

This is the kind of thing I like to read, thanks for posting it. You did a good thing, twice. I hope he gets better. Enjoy your lathe.

Tony

3. Likes 52 Ford, Shootr, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a dam nice gesture from both of you. There should be more people like the both of yuh's.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

5. Likes 52 Ford, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what a great story!
    :

7. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post

Seth & I shingled his roof. It wasn't his idea, I volunteered, I wouldn't accept payment.
    That is the essence of rural Vermont: a person in need not willing to impose on others for help, and a neighbor stepping up to help on his own accord.

Very nice looking lathe by the way! Is that a milling machine in the background to the right?
    Glen

Red-D-Arc EX300 (Miller XMT304)
    Hobart Champion 16
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

9. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good on you Willie, 'ur a good 'un. What goes around comes around.......Mike

11. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArcTan View Post
    That is the essence of rural Vermont: a person in need not willing to impose on others for help, and a neighbor stepping up to help on his own accord.

Very nice looking lathe by the way! Is that a milling machine in the background to the right?
    Big lathe. 1904 model year. It does 20" diameter X 53" between centers, 1-1/2" through the hollow shaft. Biggest challenge was it was built to run from a 540 RPM line shaft. Single phase motors are hard & dear to find other than 1725 RPM. A good friend found me a gear box made to reduce motor speed to slow it down. I can get down to 12 RPM, or up to 3000 If I recall.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

13. Likes ArcTan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great looking lathe

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I had two little Atlas lathes. I probably spent $125. buying them. A few years ago, I faced the truth, I wasn't going to restore them. I gave them to a friend I knew would treat them well. I hoped he could make one from two.
    His restoration was over the top! He perfected each tiny part, replacing many, machining others, 3D printing accessories, & re chroming tiny widgets not available. I kidded him it was too perfect, he'd never use it.

He has used it many times, each time cleaning it & oiling to show quality perfection. He was dismayed to learn the base was not original, but a base from another machine altered to fit, he built new closely matching the specs of original.

A couple years ago he had a stroke. He's mostly recovered, but a bit shaky. This late spring he needed a new roof on his 1960s ranch house, couldn't find a roofer. Several calls failed to find anyone with available time. I drove past, was surprised he had the roof stripped & covered with roll sheeting, then no progress. I asked about it. He was desperate, roof was leaking. He stripped it, covered with roll underlayment, but couldn't find a roofer to reshingle. He confessed he didn't trust himself on the roof.

Today, he presented me with the second lathe restored. The first was 1941 model year, I think a low production year for small lathes. Mine is 1945, I think also low production.

Name:  Atlas Lathe.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  99.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Great story, you're a nice guy!
    What about the Powermatic planer!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Great story, you're a nice guy!
    What about the Powermatic planer!!!!!
    That arrived last weekend. One of my extra sons upgraded. I paid what he had in it.
    Years back I had a 24" 5HP, sweet machine. It was in the "sugar house" when the flood buried it. That day the Lord tooketh & giveth. I lost possessions, gained cynicism. Cynicism has brought me benefits optimism took away.

In times of catastrophe, government gives. When government gives, only the well connected receive. Those who have lost assume huge mortgages to make the well connected more wealthy.

17. Likes Meltedmetal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome story Bill!
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP