Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How is this setup? Low cost /entry level aluminum welding setup (Beginner)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How is this setup? Low cost /entry level aluminum welding setup (Beginner)

Quote Originally Posted by redman22 View Post
    but it is a 4000 watt (5000 peak) generator with a 240 plug. It wouldn't meet the wattage demand, but would be close
    You're in for another rude awakening, lol

The Primeweld MTS200 is a much better choice. Remember, build the 7sec drag car. Even if you only want the 7sec time slip once every 3 years, you'll know it can do it.
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-29-2022 at 09:05 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

2. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Redman, I've been in your position before. My philosophy in life has always been to buy the tool and do the job myself, instead of paying someone else. That way I ended up with the tool. I now have a lot of tools and equipment due to that philosophy.

You haven't mentioned which process you want to use on the aluminum. TIG or MIG?

Either way, you will need to budget for practice materials and extra consumables. MIG is typically acknowledged as being the easier technique to learn, but TIG is more versatile. You'll need to have your weld areas surgically clean for aluminum.

Personally I'd be in the market for an older TIG machine, such as a Syncrowave 250 with a water cooled torch or the previous generation Dialarc 250 with high frequency. You may be able to find one within your budget. The only drawback is that you'll need at least 50A circuit and more likely 75A on 240VAC to weld 1/4" aluminum. However those machines that should last a lifetime for you with good care. Leave them unplugged when not in service so that any voltage spikes on the power lines won't cause harm to the circuitry.

Everybody in this thread has given you good advice regarding machine sizing. If you buy a good quality machine used, you can get more for your budget and not have to worry so much about long term parts availability. My first TIG machine was a 1960's vintage Airco Heliwelder that I bought used in the late 1990's. It worked great for me for 10 years and still worked fine when I sold it after buying my Syncrowave 250DX.

Best of success to you.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend the PrimeWeld MIG180 that comes with a regular mig gun for steel, a welding stinger for stick welding, and a spoolgun for aluminum. You have 30 days to decide if you like it or not, if it doesn't do the job the way you want, you can call them up and return the machine. They will only ask you where to send the label, and why you're returning it. They have always picked up the phone when I've called, have been pleasant, and helpful , before and after the sale. I have had one for almost a year (mig 180) and it has been an asset. I originally purchased a Mig 160 but didnt like that it only took 4" spools. They returned my money within 24 hours of recieving the machine back. A week later I bought the Mig 180 because my Lincoln 210mp was still waiting for a new main PCB (6-8 week wait) . After owning it for a couple of weeks I found it pretty handy, its also a good stick welder, 7014,7018,6013,6011 all work great on it, 6010 is a little sticky , but I can make it work. It is by no means an industrial machine, but the capabilities vs. the price ($500) make it pretty good deal.
    A 3 year warranty with a phone # to call a person ,,,, priceless. I have spent 4 weeks, and about 20 hours chatting with bots at CenturyLink trying to straight out my internet and phone , I have only spoken to one person(in India if I had to guess) who only tranferred me to a line that used phone prompts to troubleshoot.......but no, I need finance,,,,,,,, noooooooooooooooooooooo! But I digress, customer service is high on my list anymore, there are tons of cheap welders out there , but these guys at Primeweld are here in NJ and do a great job.
    Yes it can do aluminum, and suggest you try it out. With a little bit of pre heat, and only doing several small weld spaced out , it can work . I haven't tripped out the duty cycle over heat yet , and I've done some long stretches of aluminum.

Just my opinion on my experience with PrimeWeld, give them a call before you buy, and ask them your questions. I think you ll find they are very helpful, and the have never over represented their machines capabilities.

good luck
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend the PrimeWeld MIG180 that comes with a regular mig gun for steel, a welding stinger for stick welding, and a spoolgun for aluminum. You have 30 days to decide if you like it or not, if it doesn't do the job the way you want, you can call them up and return the machine. They will only ask you where to send the label, and why you're returning it. They have always picked up the phone when I've called, have been pleasant, and helpful , before and after the sale. I have had one for almost a year (mig 180) and it has been an asset. I originally purchased a Mig 160 but didnt like that it only took 4" spools. They returned my money within 24 hours of recieving the machine back. A week later I bought the Mig 180 because my Lincoln 210mp was still waiting for a new main PCB (6-8 week wait) . After owning it for a couple of weeks I found it pretty handy, its also a good stick welder, 7014,7018,6013,6011 all work great on it, 6010 is a little sticky , but I can make it work. It is by no means an industrial machine, but the capabilities vs. the price ($500) make it pretty good deal.
    A 3 year warranty with a phone # to call a person ,,,, priceless. I have spent 4 weeks, and about 20 hours chatting with bots at CenturyLink trying to straight out my internet and phone , I have only spoken to one person(in India if I had to guess) who only tranferred me to a line that used phone prompts to troubleshoot.......but no, I need finance,,,,,,,, noooooooooooooooooooooo! But I digress, customer service is high on my list anymore, there are tons of cheap welders out there , but these guys at Primeweld are here in NJ and do a great job.
    Yes it can do aluminum, and suggest you try it out. With a little bit of pre heat, and only doing several small weld spaced out , it can work . I haven't tripped out the duty cycle over heat yet , and I've done some long stretches of aluminum.

Just my opinion on my experience with PrimeWeld, give them a call before you buy, and ask them your questions. I think you ll find they are very helpful, and the have never over represented their machines capabilities.

good luck
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post

good luck
    Thank you for this advice! I will call them now.

And @scsmith42 - I am really only interested in Mig right now. It seems to be a little more user friendly - and is what I have experience with (even if super minimal). And I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the max I will be able to weld is 3/16'' aluminum with the equipment I am looking at. I'll just send any 1/4'' welding to my local shop.

I just found a Hobart 190 with a spool gun, regulator, etc for $850. I think my first choice right now is the Primeweld at $550 - with the Hobart being my second choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I will stop doing any 1/4 now that I find out it cant be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post

good luck
    This is probably accurate word for word and tested by someone that knows.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I like the Hobart I got to admit,,, or it really amazes me the low cost the stuff has become and it works. When we compare it to traditional machines or hi end and start talking that they wont be here 30 yrs from now what this says is I got no use for the thing really. The upscale forums are full of broke stuff, boards cant be fixed yet we worry to tears we might have to replace this 500$ machine in 10 years.
    As for the post above,,,, that is a poster case for good net advice for a couple reasons. Number 1,,, being rather qualified to form an accurate opinion and whiler there are other guys talk about various machines and are experts its boilded down for a guy that is unsure,,,, buy this machine.
    Scott V is expert but tests so many and uses them in the same sentence that I cant keep track of them. Louie does that well with the Rebel, splains it all well,,,, its really economical, I could hit the buy button real easy if I needed it.
    Last edited by Sberry; 07-29-2022 at 10:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    This is probably accurate word for word and tested by someone that knows.
    you can say that again !
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I am with some others here,,, I say buyu the tool on this one too. Its a good place to start, its a good place to make a mess of some stuff if not careful but the tool will pay off every time you use it after this. While the alum gets the attn plan on another gas bottle right off,,, even look used but the workhorse in a small shop is 180 machine 030 solid wire.

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many with so many names now, they are basically the same couple models but with 50 names, just put a sticker on it so its important to fixure out which it is. I believe someone said avoid Lotus maybe? Same for that yes thing and then there were some shiners. I suspect most of this stuff,,,, 85% or better comes down 1 of 3 lines by about 2 big companies and a smaller 1. Junk, then a step up, then a bit better one and the marketing is between the 2nd and the third which cost just a bit more.
    Same with a lot of modern tools, yes there is a survivor among the 9.95 HF grinder but its junk and then 20$ and its a little better but starting at about 30 can sort thru and find the model is the generic fugger they use world wide and sticker it. For most practical purpose a guy has to get near a hundred bucks if then to get something noticeably better,,, you could paint it and toss it in a gang box and no one give it a second thought. It was a blessing to find that tool in this business. Opening a box at 30$ and getting years service to it was a rea; splution and I hate fussing with that crap and have seen buckets full of Metabo and others just the same. Someone just give me 3 heavy Mill they ruined in a factory, they make too much peak power to run that long. I have never overheated a Walmart B&D, have done the industrial,,,, this is better.

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many with so many names now, they are basically the same couple models but with 50 names, just put a sticker on it so its important to fixure out which it is. I believe someone said avoid Lotus maybe? Same for that yes thing and then there were some shiners. I suspect most of this stuff,,,, 85% or better comes down 1 of 3 lines by about 2 big companies and a smaller 1. Junk, then a step up, then a bit better one and the marketing is between the 2nd and the third which cost just a bit more.
    Same with a lot of modern tools, yes there is a survivor among the 9.95 HF grinder but its junk and then 20$ and its a little better but starting at about 30 can sort thru and find the model is the generic fugger they use world wide and sticker it. For most practical purpose a guy has to get near a hundred bucks if then to get something noticeably better,,, you could paint it and toss it in a gang box and no one give it a second thought. It was a blessing to find that tool in this business. Opening a box at 30$ and getting years service to it was a rea; splution and I hate fussing with that crap and have seen buckets full of Metabo and others just the same. Someone just give me 3 heavy Mill they ruined in a factory, they make too much peak power to run that long. I have never overheated a Walmart B&D, have done the industrial,,,, this is better.

Post Thanks / Like

Fargin puter posting 2x.
    But this is 1 reason I post about that particular grinder. I dont say,,, which is true,,, there is tyhis and that, we say,,, used several of these in a tuff shop, this model at this store and I have had several pm and even a shop owner or 2 says,,, dont tell anyone but its what I use too and guys say, bought it last week, beat the snot out of it and am impressed. I was going to get another and see Walmart changed, for giggles I buy 22$ one but havnt tried it yet. I was tossing it in the back in case but thats how we found the BD,,, should have use them sooner but they were insurance and I finally open one and been using them since. I think I used 4 or 5 in last 20 years and the first one we really ran lots. Never had to replace or fix a cord.
    I like the DW402 for handling but not as durable as the cheaper orange one.

Post Thanks / Like

Fargin puter posting 2x.
    But this is 1 reason I post about that particular grinder. I dont say,,, which is true,,, there is tyhis and that, we say,,, used several of these in a tuff shop, this model at this store and I have had several pm and even a shop owner or 2 says,,, dont tell anyone but its what I use too and guys say, bought it last week, beat the snot out of it and am impressed. I was going to get another and see Walmart changed, for giggles I buy 22$ one but havnt tried it yet. I was tossing it in the back in case but thats how we found the BD,,, should have use them sooner but they were insurance and I finally open one and been using them since. I think I used 4 or 5 in last 20 years and the first one we really ran lots. Never had to replace or fix a cord.
    I like the DW402 for handling but not as durable as the cheaper orange one.

Post Thanks / Like

Used tanks may not pass testing.
    I look at 80 to 120cf tank size
    The smaller you refilling a lot.

Dave

I am a beginning welder who hasn't welded in ~15 years. The only welding experience I have was shop class in high school. I caught on quickly and made some pretty solid welds back then - and have been looking for an opportunity to get back into welding.

We have a horse trailer that needs an aluminum ramp built. I was quoted $2500 from a local shop for the ramp (way above what I am willing to spend) and figured this was the perfect opportunity to spend some money on a welder.

I am going to be welding predominately 3/16'' aluminum, but will also be welding some 1/8'' and some 1/4'' aluminum. Based on what I have read, mig welding is probably the way to go. 120v access is by far the most accessible to me - but I can get access to 220v for the larger 1/4'' materials.

Any advice on this setup? I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible, but if I should go a different route with anything, I am absolutely open to doing just that! I wanted to be close to $500, but am fine going as high as about $750 all in.

Hynade 175 amp 110/220v multiprocess (Mig, stick, tig) welder (I hope to use 110v @ 155 amp max, but can get 220 access if more amperage is needed) - $270
    https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Functio.../dp/B09JJPCTYN

-or-

Lotos 140 multifunction welder (comes with regulator) - $370
    https://www.amazon.com/Welder-Alumin...s%2C131&sr=8-5

Spool gun - $100
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/20166906903...kAAOSwPU9bX8Sa

Harbor freight welding helmet, gloves, etc ($35 helmet, $22 gloves/safety gear)
    https://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...met-64527.html

Argon regulator ($30 on Amazon) and Argon tank ($100 shipped used on Ebay)

All in cost would be around $550 (or approx 650 for the lotos.
    It looks like material costs are going to be around $500 if I build it myself. So for a little over $1000 total, I can build the ramp and have a welder for future use!

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where the OP is located geographically, but this is off the Primeweld site.

Name:  prime180mig125tank.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  33.3 KB

Lots of work can be done with a machine like this. They also offer a bottle of 75/25 for the same price.

HTH
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where the OP is located geographically, but this is off the Primeweld site.

Name:  prime180mig125tank.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  33.3 KB

Lots of work can be done with a machine like this. They also offer a bottle of 75/25 for the same price.

HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are so many problems with this idea. First and foremost, I can't see you getting away with any less than $1200 in materials, not including anything you waste because of your inexperience. Unless you are talking mini horses or ponies, I think you are going to need much more material than you think. 2 inch, 0.187 wall extruded tube is going to cost you nearly 100 for a 4 foot length. I am guessing you need at least 6 of those for the frame. a 4x4 sheet of quarter inch diamond plate is another $600. You will then spend another roughly $1200 for the welder, gas, helmet, etc. Then who know what the vet bill will be when the thing fails and a horse gets injured. None of this includes the value of your time, and the amount of material you will waste from the learning curve. $2500 for the quote was cheap in my opinion.

I am not telling you to not buy a welder, and I am not telling you its not freaking awesome to learn how to weld. But for the sake of the safety of your animals, don't learn on a ramp for a horse trailer. Spend the $2500 to have a pro do it for you, and take your time with the learning how to weld piece of it. Learning how to weld aluminum really is going to require you to learn how to weld on steel first. Aluminum is difficult to learn on. The smart call here is to take it in two steps. If you get into the welding and really like it you will likely spend many thousands on welding equipment, supplies, materials etc. before you get to the point where it will save you money on an aluminum project of this magnitude.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

It will be probably keeping the down on single project in aluminum.

In steel you have two low cost options.
    Stick and fluxcore.

With aluminum you need tank around $300.00 plus equipment. You can buy low cost but you new to this type welding should have better equipment or your welds may not hold up to a 1,000 pound horse.

You could do a blend of steel and aluminum.
    Make framing out steel tubing and bolt the aluminum deck to steel frame.

It will save a lot money in aluminum and equipment

Dave

I am a beginning welder who hasn't welded in ~15 years. The only welding experience I have was shop class in high school. I caught on quickly and made some pretty solid welds back then - and have been looking for an opportunity to get back into welding.

We have a horse trailer that needs an aluminum ramp built. I was quoted $2500 from a local shop for the ramp (way above what I am willing to spend) and figured this was the perfect opportunity to spend some money on a welder.

I am going to be welding predominately 3/16'' aluminum, but will also be welding some 1/8'' and some 1/4'' aluminum. Based on what I have read, mig welding is probably the way to go. 120v access is by far the most accessible to me - but I can get access to 220v for the larger 1/4'' materials.

Any advice on this setup? I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible, but if I should go a different route with anything, I am absolutely open to doing just that! I wanted to be close to $500, but am fine going as high as about $750 all in.

Hynade 175 amp 110/220v multiprocess (Mig, stick, tig) welder (I hope to use 110v @ 155 amp max, but can get 220 access if more amperage is needed) - $270
    https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Functio.../dp/B09JJPCTYN

-or-

Lotos 140 multifunction welder (comes with regulator) - $370
    https://www.amazon.com/Welder-Alumin...s%2C131&sr=8-5

Spool gun - $100
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/20166906903...kAAOSwPU9bX8Sa

Harbor freight welding helmet, gloves, etc ($35 helmet, $22 gloves/safety gear)
    https://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...met-64527.html

Argon regulator ($30 on Amazon) and Argon tank ($100 shipped used on Ebay)

All in cost would be around $550 (or approx 650 for the lotos.
    It looks like material costs are going to be around $500 if I build it myself. So for a little over $1000 total, I can build the ramp and have a welder for future use!

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

As for the 240 circuit, my plans are likely less than idea. I have a generator that I would be using for access to 240 - or - I can use the dryer outlet. It would clearly be a temporary setup, but it is a 4000 watt (5000 peak) generator with a 240 plug. It wouldn't meet the wattage demand, but would be close. I figure I can weld for short periods of time to keep from tripping any circuits. Keep in mind this isn't a profession for me - it is a hobby at best.

Eastwood has a 180A mig welder that they claim can weld 1/4'' aluminum that I am seriously considering. There is also a primeweld 180 mig that they claim can weld 1/4'' aluminum for about $100 less than the eastwood. Alternatively, there is the Lincoln 180 mig that also claims to weld 1/4'' aluminum, but it is just over $1k after buying the spool gun - while the Eastwood is $650 and the primeweld is $550 including the spool guns.
    That generator likely won't be enough for your plans....17A running and 20A peak isn't enough.

Primeweld calls for a 30A breaker for the 180 machine using 240V input. Also, if you drill down in the Primeweld 180 manual they spool gun is listed at 3/16 max.

The Eastwood also calls for a 30A breaker and claims 29.6A draw at 240V input.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion would be to borrow a stick welder from a friend, family, neighbor and build the thing out of steel. Learning curve is much less steep, and you can find junk or scrap anywhere to practice on.

Then decide if you want that mig, or multi-process or just a cheap used buzz box. Or heck, buy both. PS, i know nothing about modern multiprocess welders. But i know i do like having more than one welding machine in my shop.
    Last edited by bead-boy; 07-29-2022 at 04:32 PM.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

Get a used tank, bring it to a LWS that swaps tanks, like Praxair (now called Linde) there's literally no reason to buy a brand new tank.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

24. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Might desire a tig torch cooler?

Post Thanks / Like

Your generator is way too small and you need to know if the welder you're considering is even designed so it can be used with a low end generator. Electrical circuit in a shop or home is different than a generator. You need a lot more watts than the rating on welder when using a generator. Otherwise everybody would be running shop welders on their trucks powered by a multi-purpose generator.

Post Thanks / Like

Take the $2500 that a fab shop would charge and buy a slightly used miller or Lincoln, 250 amp CV MIg machine, get set up with a bottle of Argon for aluminum and 75/25 for steel and you'll have a machine for life that will have good customer support.
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

28. Likes Lis2323, bead-boy liked this post