Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinnest metal to weld with .045 wire

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinnest metal to weld with .045 wire

I agree, if you can switch wires, it is the best option. Just make sure your liner isn't too large for the thinner wire.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried anything thinner than 11 gauge with 0.045 er-70s6 wire. But I have had no problems welding 11 gauge with that wire both in short circuit mode and pulsed spray mode, both with 90/10 gas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I don't understand why you would try to weld such thin steel with .045 wire, it's like trying to solder a circuit board with an acetylene torch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I think it's just a secondary consequence due to what he already had loaded up in his machine.
    That would probably be me if I was to lazy to change the wire and tips

Can you switch wires? Or is it not an option?

He posted he only has setup for .045"

Quote Originally Posted by jzr75601 View Post
    I've usually worked quite a bit on 1/4" and up material running through a 350amp Tweco Spray master mig gun and a four roll feeder using .045 ER70s-6 solid wire at this time, I only have a set of .045V drive rolls in the feeder so limited in that respect. haven't had the setup or parts to run smaller wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Then do all your welding with 0.045 wire.
    To weld thinner gauge use trigger on and off like a pulse and or a back bar.

Also if switch the fluxcore it like dropping a size of wire. I have used a lot 0.052 fluxcore I could weld 16 gauge with a pulsing the trigger.

Dave

I've usually worked quite a bit on 1/4" and up material running through a 350amp Tweco Spray master mig gun and a four roll feeder using .045 ER70s-6 solid wire at this time, I only have a set of .045V drive rolls in the feeder so limited in that respect. haven't had the setup or parts to run smaller wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Please pardon my newbe question but referring to a mig parameter chart it looks like 18ga is the thinnest metal that .045 wire should be used for, do most of you find this to be true?
    My reason for asking is with voltage and wire speed set as close as possible and running practice welds I get a lot of burn through even on 16ga . And maintaining a fast and consistent travel speed seems pretty challenging. What what'd you all think? Please try going easy on me,LOL

I think the thing to remember is that most MIG welding at these thicknesses is done as a series of tacks and not as a continuous bead.
    Miller Multimatic 255

6. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you switch wires? Or is it not an option?

In Post 7, he said he doesn't have the parts, meaning the feed rolls & liner, I take it,to use smaller wire. He also hasn't mentioned his location, so we have no idea how had it is to get those parts there.

Maybe he's stubborn too, like I tend to be, so wants to keep trying until he either succeeds or has to give up.

What stick-out is being used, and would increasing that help significantly, assuming it keeps decent gas shielding?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    In Post 7, he said he doesn't have the parts, meaning the feed rolls & liner, I take it,to use smaller wire. He also hasn't mentioned his location, so we have no idea how had it is to get those parts there.

Maybe he's stubborn too, like I tend to be, so wants to keep trying until he either succeeds or has to give up.

What stick-out is being used, and would increasing that help significantly, assuming it keeps decent gas shielding?
    Stickout won't make much difference. .045 wire needs to be ran at such a slow speed that even burn off will be an issue. .035 wire would even be challenging. As mentioned,.023 or ..030 is more suited. It works the other way as well, using say.030 wire on 3/8 or 1/2" steel, the wire starts getting erratic because of the high speed causing burn off issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to buy a second welder. 😀

Post Thanks / Like

Like Louie said, just start and stop, doing a series of tacks , it's not a big deal, I even do that when welding 16ga with 035 wire when I'm too lazy to turn the heat setting down a couple clicks.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running a Miller cp200 at this time.
    What feeder are you using ? Many of the feeders have flip over drive rollers. If its a miller feeder there should be some parts available. The 350 amp gun, the 4 roll feeder, and the wire seem a bit large for a CP200.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    What feeder are you using ? Many of the feeders have flip over drive rollers. If its a miller feeder there should be some parts available. The 350 amp gun, the 4 roll feeder, and the wire seem a bit large for a CP200.
    albrightree, I really like the industrial look and feel of my current setup it is in fact overkill for what I do. It is old and doesn't feel like a toy but in any event The feeder is an old Miller 30A and currently uses the old style dedicated one piece drive rolls .But awhile back I managed to find a NOS set of geared drive roll adapters on ebay which will allow me to run the current style flip over drive rolls as you mentioned

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    albrightree, I really like the industrial look and feel of my current setup it is in fact way overkill for what I do. It is old and doesn't feel like a toy ,The feeder is an old Miller 30A and currently uses the old style dedicated one piece drive rolls .But awhile back I managed to find a NOS set of geared drive roll adapters on ebay which will allow me to run the current style flip over drive rolls as you mentioned. I was saving them for after the old style wears out they are NLA and somewhat hard to find. I'll go ahead and use them now. so I'm not locked into one type
    Last edited by jzr75601; 07-30-2022 at 01:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree with Dan, time for a second machine. There is a lot of babble about tig and multi process but I could skip all that for A second small feeder. I am on the hunt for another, no hurry as I made it this long without 3 steel feeders but I am going to add a 120v unit with 023. I had my neighbors here, it was handy and I been using larger wire for so long that I can weld near foil with the little stuff providing I got some cheaters to see that little wire way down there,,, ha I put 045 in my 250 last time, have always used 35, its ok, can turn if up some for speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely agree with Dan, time for a second machine. There is a lot of babble about tig and multi process but I could skip all that for A second small feeder. I am on the hunt for another, no hurry as I made it this long without 3 steel feeders but I am going to add a 120v unit with 023. I had my neighbors here, it was handy and I been using larger wire for so long that I can weld near foil with the little stuff providing I got some cheaters to see that little wire way down there,,, ha I put 045 in my 250 last time, have always used 35, its ok, can turn if up some for speed.

Post Thanks / Like

When CEP (Rip, Carl) welded a bracket on my gate, 1/16" wall 2" square galvanized tube, he used .45 flux core and made it look easy. It was, for him!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stoneaxe View Post
    When CEP (Rip, Carl) welded a bracket on my gate, 1/16" wall 2" square galvanized tube, he used .45 flux core and made it look easy. It was, for him!
    .045 flux core is pretty small wire, I would say .030 hard wire has about the same deposit rate