Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Successful side hustles?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Successful side hustles?

Here is a good example that I finished this morning- a little dog gate 55x 26. I will make $225 above materials and shop cost. Probably spent 5-6 hours total so around $40/hr.

Name:  4109D483-FE29-4D3F-B1A5-A2C8C7740EF7.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  213.5 KB
    Last edited by wb4rt; 1 Week Ago at 11:45 AM.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

2. Likes RCWelds, Roert42, albrightree, LtBadd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    Here is a good example that I finished this morning- a little dog gate 55x 26. I will make $225 above materials and shop cost. Probably spent 5-6 hours total so around $40/hr.

Did you do the install as well as the welding? Did you build the little fence, or, was welding done on site, and built as you went along?
    Last edited by RCWelds; 1 Week Ago at 12:10 PM.
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Spoolmatic 150 spool gun
    Primeweld Cut 60 Plasma Cutter
    Vevor Pipe Stands
    Bauer Portaband/Swag table
    Grinders-Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Dewalt
    ArcUnion M-20 portable rod oven

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great 👍

Dave

5. Likes Sberry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you were closer I would hire you.

Post Thanks / Like

Customer bought the fence but the matching gate was too narrow.

It was all built in my shop and easy installation- 4 Tapcons bolts and drill holes for cane to hold gate in place.

She wanted the gate to swing completely open and latch both ways. I had to modify the hinges with spacers to do that.

Name:  0003FB1F-8550-463A-899F-7D11BD0D9F08.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  224.1 KB
    Last edited by wb4rt; 6 Days Ago at 07:23 PM.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

8. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's cheap!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Customer bought the fence but the matching gate was too narrow.

It was all built in my shop and easy installation- 4 Tapcons bolts and drill holes for cane to hold gate in place.

She wanted the gate to swing completely open and latch both ways. I had to modify the hinges with spacers to do that.

Name:  0003FB1F-8550-463A-899F-7D11BD0D9F08.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  224.1 KB
    Awesome job on the gate!

I realize it was a customer design but I would certainly hate opening that wide a gate part way every day just to walk through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

You said 5 hrs but thats a days work. I run in to that some, if you were hiring what would you do with that person in soime sense? But,,,, as a side type thing, in the end, when its all done a guy made +200 in his pocket without busting a hump, going to a real job,, ha,,, but thats net and its simple , if a guy could start off in the morning 5 days a week and finish mid afternoon, have the place swept up, not have to dewal with a lot of problems,,,, its not a get rich scheme but you didnt go backwards and to tell the truth have to do so much work and bill 3 times as much,,, overhead or go to work, take payroll out, all the expenses of going to a job, car, traffic time on the road etc that in the end the net is about the same anyway. Said u figured some shop expense in already.
    I donre this, seen it done, watched friends do it, watched them work 80 hrs a week. One of my Buds finally gets Grandkids so he gonna slow down, fired 2/3 the customers and went from 10 or 12 a day and some saturday to 4 1/2 or 5 hrs 5 days and doubled the actual net. Was in his chair by 2. I dont take busy work. As someone said, its not all bad, I dont turn away a walk in but I dont go after it. I fix fuel and brake lines for good customers but if you say,,, call me when you wanna fix my fuel lines you gonna be lonely.
    I know farmers buy broke stuff and going to have it fixed, never happens. I offer council,,, dont buy it unless you figure to cost twice as much as you think it should to fix it, some more, but I aint looking to do your fixer uppers. They are great people but cant grasp 40$ isnt too much to go to a field and weld a bracket would have never busted had they tighten a bolt 20 yrs ago.

12. Likes Roert42, wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one the other day,,,, I dont really gouge but I charge a bit to be able to do it NOW. They even waited and helped. They appreciate I aint too busy working on a deadbeat car to get to their equipment drive shaft puked in the middle of the job.
    I didnt gouge but changed the rate a little on the invoice and as similar to the gate above had 150 for 2 hrs work and 3 time and a couple dollars expense. No drive time, customer went got the part.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a good example that I finished this morning- a little dog gate 55”x 26”. I will make $225 above materials and shop cost. Probably spent 5-6 hours total so around $40/hr.

Nice job ! Now you need to sell them some railings.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

15. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a side gig as well. I still am in the corp world. I do mobile as well. I have a full shop, I do all sorts of fabrication and repairs.
    I upped the game when I finished my CNC plasma table I built. It has paid for itself in less than a year. It allows me to be more efficient than the other guy and is repeatable. I do cut jobs for other fabricators/welders. Even some on here. To the OP, your rate is too low. My Mobile rate is pretty high but customers are paying it and continue to pay it. I have a mobile minimum just to turn the key in my truck, then a minimum of a 1 hour labor rate when I get there plus the job itself. No advertising: it is by word of mouth. I just have business cards. Yes mower decks suck. However I do have a nice deck cut file for the front part of a 60" scag mower.
    T.J.
    Last edited by TJS; 6 Days Ago at 04:17 PM.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Successful side hustles?

as far as prices being "too low" it is totally irrelevant to the welder doing the work.

if he is happy doing the job for the price he charges that is all that matters.

IMHO of course ...
    :

18. Likes wb4rt, tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am terrible in biz. The parts that interest me are,,, well,,, interesting but I am not diligent enough and really greedy enough to be really good at it. I have done it alll my life though. I had somne habitzs early on really but a damper on it but some of that was educational all its own and really got some of the "journeyman" aspect of it,,,, yes, there is craft which is a bit different. While some shiney gets the attn cause its pretty,,,, it should in that sense like a snapon tool but the finish and a lot of it not that difficult if a guy works on it long enough should look good.
    Particular aspects are interesting and there are so many ways to do the same thing as a small guy. The neatest I see are a hybrid sort of a deal,,, what a guy might call,,, barely legal. One of my Buds, wife had another shop biz and they file joint. Anything check paid went in to that kept track, paid some to keep head up. The auto repair didnt have a sign out but busy enough, he got lot more effecient in the end but,,, the parts guys hated it cause he paid in cash every delivery and had a policy of "not marking up parts". The jobs were estimate so 400 at his or 400 down the road the same except one had less parts and a bit more labor, these were regular customers mostly. Several benifits to this, did all the book keeping daily, paid the sales tax when he bought the parts, cause they not marked up no further tax due or even tax number so to speak. Was a "side" thing, cash in and out every day, no paper work to "confuse " it all. Simple hand invoice to a customer if they wanted it.
    I have seen great 1 man shows so disciplined the run a real 9 to 5, got a refined system from long time in related biz. One thing is,,, they dont try to get all the work they can, they get better work and reliable customers in where there is some trust. I see the mail man drop his car, come get it, how much do I owe, there was no estimate, nuthin but can I drop the car in the morning? How much was it when they pick it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another thing. I know I miss some but,, I will weld a piece of alum for regular customers or if it comes in but I dont chase it down, I dont flag people down to see if they need fuel and vapor lines changed on old pickups, I dont chase driveability crap, I will fix it as it comes along but I do weld and paint and if ypu dont want it finished nice there is Craigs list 120V flux Joe advertises small jobs,,, he may be fine, I dont know,
    I should hire him on occasion when they come along and see. Had a kid with attitude come thru the other day a real whiz wrench and welder,,, he ripped the gun right out of my hand, gonna show me,,,, and he did, wish I had him yesterday to do bunch of car repair overhead rust crap, not a job I go after but for someone I know.
    Second,,, I dont offer 2 levels of service,,,,, cantcha just,,,,,. I might fly some paint but I got some tricks, tools, methods that make it look good and appropriate. There are even places that tolerate some runs, equipment is slow and hard to paint, I god some staff and they are sponge brush touch up queens, I might lay out the sequence and any particulars and they finish, tape or scuff, some sand etc. Some guys were talking blend the steel and the wood, same thing totally agree. My neighbor an excellent craftsman and then some simply follow traditional to the letter,, perfect but not creative and looks just like another Amish table 101 etc and he is such an expert metal worker as well as wood, but got to make room to finsh some.
    Bills repair on the net with the sa200 is a poster case for good biz, specializes in the most simple welder with just enuf variations over time to confuse a bunch of guys to thinking its some real genius stiff,,,, well,,,, it is in a way due to good marketing and good biz, the 200 is simply the hamburger to drive a good biz plan. Even the p[arts are well thought out, source from 100 places for the same thing vs searching a couple places for 100 different models of car like a general auto might.

Post Thanks / Like

There are neat tricks to avoid tying up inventory. About half the parts for a 200 off the shelf at good auto parts so,,, Joe calls, got a water pump,,, let me look,, peeks at store next door, yup we got it, they gonna be there in an hour, you send the secretary across the street and buy it in a white box or even semi brand, done with bearings all the time. The parts truck is not only running delivery but also pickups.
    In welding or turd herder there might be a minimum charge, Iideally is to have a couple calls close together or customers really understand the cost to being responsive.
    Ideally a guy has a little shop and a little install/service, something he can drop to take a call. You cant be committed to others junk, it needs to be treated like emergency , dealt with schedule, what it takes to secure it and when someone says no hurry it doesnt mean forever, I like to have it done or date first call,,, whatever, on occasion dont call them even though its finished or can say,,, working on it now, when they stop and am on their project, doesnt have a thick layer of dust on it. That doesnt mean I dont do things at the last minute, but I got a grip this is something they wanna use.
    I also splain and debreif if I need to and often got to splain why I tossed another couple 300 at it but make sure its worth it and the end result is BETTER than they expected. The seat cover guy keeps his work custom and the rates hi and simply wont do half way and if you dont pay wont do it again but its always great, never premium price for a slacker job and dont change price to do it that way.
    Last edited by Sberry; 5 Days Ago at 11:28 AM.