Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching From Acetylene To Propane

Post Thanks / Like

Switching From Acetylene To Propane

Hello, I'll start by saying I'm a hobbyist welder. I want to change my oxy/acetylene torch over to oxy/propane. The problem I'm having is what adapter to use between my acetylene regulator (CGA-510) and a 20 or 30 pound BBQ style propane tank. I have seen some adapters but they don't appear to have the little nub on the end needed to activate the propane tank? I already have the correct (T) hoses, torch tips, etc. The hang-up is the adapter. Can anyone supply the correct adapter part number. Many thanks in advance.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Switching From Acetylene To Propane

Quote Originally Posted by Uncrichie View Post
    Hello, I'll start by saying I'm a hobbyist welder. I want to change my oxy/acetylene torch over to oxy/propane. The problem I'm having is what adapter to use between my acetylene regulator (CGA-510) and a 20 or 30 pound BBQ style propane tank. I have seen some adapters but they don't appear to have the little nub on the end needed to activate the propane tank? I already have the correct (T) hoses, torch tips, etc. The hang-up is the adapter. Can anyone supply the correct adapter part number. Many thanks in advance.

Kurt
    We discussed a lot of this in the torch thread i started

The acetylene regulator (for a large tank) should fit any propane tank.

You will need to get a propane tip for your torch and run appropriate pressures

If your acetylene regulator is one for a small plumbing size acetylene then you will need a larger regulator. Any acetylene or propane regulator for that size tank is good. A victor one is around $80.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

As BB said above or you cold do what I did. Since the regulator input fitting is 1/4" NPT and the stem on a propane fitting, (the hand tighten one, I forget the proper name) is the same size I just used one off an old BBQ, remove the acetylene fitting from the regulator and screw on the propane one.
    One thing you will have to do is drill out the small flow valve in the center of the propane spigot, if you don't, you won't get enough flow from the propane tank.......Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Like BrooklynBravest said you need the propane cutting tip and if use rose 🌹 bud they have that in propane too.

I have just used the acetylene regulator. They do make propane but just more cost and acetylene works great

Dave

Kurt

5. Likes BrooklynBravest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurt
    Kurt,
    You won't need any adapter. Propane is a fuel gas and as such is CGA510 also. Your regulator will mount straight up.
    Last edited by danielplace; 08-01-2022 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Might need the adapter on a new style tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I was questioning that as well, but I don't think so. My older appliances (tiger torch etc.) still work with the new tanks because they use the internal threads which haven't changed. The acetylene regulator will also use the internal threads. The hand tighten barbeque's etc use the external threads.
    I was looking at the torch kits after Brooklyn posted the link to the oxy/propane one he was looking at. I notice that Victor now sells an orange regulator for propane and the same green one for acetylene. Maybe it's just color co-ordination to make sure it goes with T hoses and doesn't get mixed up in a multifuel environment? I'd like to know if there's any internal differences....
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I have never needed an adapter? I use same regulator no adapter acetylene
    And propane tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope.

The new tanks still accept standard CGA510 threaded anything.

11. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I was questioning that as well, but I don't think so. My older appliances (tiger torch etc.) still work with the new tanks because they use the internal threads which haven't changed. The acetylene regulator will also use the internal threads. The hand tighten barbeque's etc use the external threads.
    I was looking at the torch kits after Brooklyn posted the link to the oxy/propane one he was looking at. I notice that Victor now sells an orange regulator for propane and the same green one for acetylene. Maybe it's just color co-ordination to make sure it goes with T hoses and doesn't get mixed up in a multifuel environment? I'd like to know if there's any internal differences....
    Many brands sell dedicated Propane and Acetylene regulators. The biggest difference is the Propane has a output gauge 0-60psi and no 15 psi red warning on them. The diaphragms in them are usually the same exact composition and are multi-fuel.

For the Miller Smith brand the acetylene is a 30-15-510 and the propane a 30-50-510 where first number is model series and second is the output pressure and last is of course the CGA size.

Acetylene,

https://www.millerwelds.com/accessor...5-psig-3015520

Lp,

https://www.millerwelds.com/accessor...0-psig-3050510
    Last edited by danielplace; 08-01-2022 at 07:17 PM.

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I not found any that did not have both.

But changing new style is easy both use 1/4 ips .

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I not found any that did not have both.

But changing new style is easy both use 1/4 ips .

Dave
    Usually the POL and CGA510 fittings for the tank both use 1/4" NPT for connection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I’m gonna guess it’s because people like that it says propane mostly.

But the kit includes the propane tip and rosebud.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

17. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI 1/4" NPT and 1/"4 IPS same thing. There a few other ways to say 1/4" NPT and 1/"4 IPS.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Usually the POL and CGA510 fittings for the tank both use 1/"4 NPT for connection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    FYI 1/4" NPT and 1/"4 IPS same thing. There a few other ways to say 1/4" NPT and 1/"4 IPS.

Dave
    Wrong. NPT is national pipe tapered. IPS is iron pipe straight thread.

Post Thanks / Like

IPS stands for IRON PIPE SIZE

https://www.taylorwalraven.ca/pipe-d...-pipe-size.php

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Any time working with pipe outside just water pipe you can find straight , tapered right hand , left hand and British

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Great video from victor aside from it was recorded on a potato.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 08-02-2022 at 09:19 PM.

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Great video 📹

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post

Great video from victor aside from it was recorded on a potato.

Post Thanks / Like

There's male and female acetylene regulators, depending on region I guess might decide which one you have, it's annoying when the LWS gives me a female threaded acetylene tank and I have to go searching for my adapter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    There's male and female acetylene regulators, depending on region I guess might decide which one you have, it's annoying when the LWS gives me a female threaded acetylene tank and I have to go searching for my adapter.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    air liquide have female and male threaded tanks depending on if the tank is a rental or owned.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I swtiched tanks on my weed burner the other day, wouldnt open the valve right, had to change the bottle to right one. Wouldnt open ofpd for some reason. I can fill either. The fill uses the same as a torch.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sberry; 08-03-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I swtiched tanks on my weed burner the other day, wouldnt open the valve right, had to change the bottle to right one. Wouldnt open ofpd for some reason. I can fill either. The fill uses the same as a torch.
    That’s the biggest tank you have? Does that come in mens?

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    air liquide have female and male threaded tanks depending on if the tank is a rental or owned.
    Air Liquide uses an acetylene specific fitting on their standard size cylinders where everyone else just uses a left hand fuel gas fitting. Some of the small tanks can have different connections. You can usually get adapters to switch to what your regulators have. You used to need a special washer with Air Liquide acetylene cylinders but the fitting was changed so you no longer need the special washer.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a bulk liquid oxygen tank they have to come and fill every 10 years to go with your propane tank?