Post Thanks / Like

Get Bent

Yeah..........get bent, in so many ways

Name:  transport1.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  226.9 KB

Name:  transport2.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  210.8 KB Anyways.........thought this might be interesting. No plagiarism here I hope.

I dunno how an ironworker, or press, might handle this..........but I need a very tight radius bend. Pretty simple to do........slit the material about 70% through, then heat it, and bend it. Go in very small increments so that you don't stress the material to the point of a stress crack. Heat is in the orange range. This is heat working,, not heat shrinking.

The bend goes over center to compensate for the welding to fill the gap. Welds will make the thing pull back to somewhere near a 90* angle.......hopefully It's a judgement call as to how far you go. It usually comes out somewhere where you want it.

Saw some nice comments on the fiasco. Thanks.....really appreciate it. Week's worth of break was nice. Opportunity to cool down, not get ugly.

Got the cataract surgery measurements done. Ready to rock I guess. Interesting side note. Asked the dood how the actual sight measurements came out in the initial exam. Right eye: 20/60. Left eye 20/200........which I understand is technically, and legally blind So, guess it's about time to get 'er done. Small disagreement about a local vs. an IV happy juice. I won. No damn knockout crap when I don't need it. The deadening drops will do the job just fine. Lets me wear a N95 while the work's being done. Been Covid free for over 2yrs, don't need to blow it now. I got lungs that look like the inside of a coal mine.

We did compromise on an IV access(no line hooked to it) in case things get a bit froggy.

The guy is a bit strange. Keeps talking about the near 1500(maybe 15,000) successful surgeries he's done. I really don't care.............just make sure that mine is good. I don't care about your laurels. K'kins made about the same observation. She's a no-nonsense kinda girl. (Technically she's way beyond bein' a girl, but she sure likes like a little kid when she sticks her tongue out between her lips when she's concentrating on something)

We didn't win Megamillions.

Johnson Grass, after the 3" of rain we got, is back to growing 1" per day. Bluestem greened right up too. That beat winning the lottery. Back to the mid 100's later this week.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 08-01-2022 at 05:40 PM.

2. Likes whtbaron, rhunt, q240z liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Get Bent

Lots of light rains here are slowing down my repair work too... especially the things that won't fit in the shop. Sort of a pain, but the crops are loving it... beats the drought conditions we had last year...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

get your eyes done. you will wonder why you ever hesitated !!

need some rain here

"don't get me started" about mega lotteries. they should just have a hundred or whatever single million dollar prizes instead.

like i said "don't get me started "
    :

5. Likes NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

need some rain here

"don't get me started" about mega lotteries. they should just have a hundred or whatever single million dollar prizes instead.

I won $100. once in a raffle I didn't know I entered. Funny, a friend was asked to pick the name out of a hat. The boss of the auto supply store asked: "Does anybody know him?" None of the employees answered. "Throw that one away" was the boss's direction. My friend spoke up: "I know him!"

It was a $100. gift certificate I used to get a very nice tap & die set.

I don't buy lottery tickets. Now & then a raffle fund raiser for a volunteer fire company.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno how an ironworker, or press, might handle this..........but I need a very tight radius bend. Pretty simple to do........slit the material about 70% through, then heat it, and bend it. Go in very small increments so that you don't stress the material to the point of a stress crack. Heat is in the orange range. This is heat working,, not heat shrinking.

The bend goes over center to compensate for the welding to fill the gap. Welds will make the thing pull back to somewhere near a 90* angle.......hopefully It's a judgement call as to how far you go. It usually comes out somewhere where you want it.
    I've done things like that when it was easier, but at least for tubing or pipe (structural use), I have found it often easier to cut the material at a 45* angle and rotate one so the assembly has a 90* angle, welding in alternating sections on opposite sides if distortion might be a problem. With solid material, I'd think V-ing both sides would allow full penetration if doing it this way, and no heating would be needed. Digging my OA out can sometimes be a chore in itself.

Sorry; missed the "fiasco" unless you're referring to the burn.

I think we got 30 or 40 large drops of rain in the yard yesterday, almost enough to affect the (calendar) yearly accumulation! It has been cloudy and a bit muggy (compared to normal) but the air is rather calm and the temperature (~80*F now) is great.

Post Thanks / Like

need some rain here

Yeah the eye surgery is quick and easy, no mystery there, I did have a small amount of anti-anxiety drug (believe it or not Fentanyl) injected after my blood pressure went nuts from simple anxiety, 45 seconds later it was a go. I also recommend that if you might cough, suck on some good cough drops first. Coughing is not good when you have micro tools in your eye.

9. Likes NotaVegetarian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    I've done things like that when it was easier, but at least for tubing or pipe (structural use), I have found it often easier to cut the material at a 45* angle and rotate one so the assembly has a 90* angle, welding in alternating sections on opposite sides if distortion might be a problem. With solid material, I'd think V-ing both sides would allow full penetration if doing it this way, and no heating would be needed. Digging my OA out can sometimes be a chore in itself.

Sorry; missed the "fiasco" unless you're referring to the burn.

I think we got 30 or 40 large drops of rain in the yard yesterday, almost enough to affect the (calendar) yearly accumulation! It has been cloudy and a bit muggy (compared to normal) but the air is rather calm and the temperature (~80*F now) is great.
    For rod like that, I just make a 90 degree cut and butt one against the cut and weld it, maybe a little bevel on the end that butts against the other. No mucking around and you're done. Trying to fill that partial cut and bend would drive me nuts.

11. Likes q240z liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Saw some nice comments on the fiasco. Thanks.....really appreciate it. Week's worth of break was nice. Opportunity to cool down, not get ugly.
    Welcome back!

Post Thanks / Like

I had cataract surgery on my right eye, no anesthesia, and the most difficult thing for me was looking into that bright light so close to my eye for the 10-12 minutes the procedure took. I did well, so no doubt you will also.
    Miller Multimatic 215
    Spoolmatic 150 spool gun, Miller TIG kit
    Primeweld Cut 60 Plasma Cutter
    Vevor Pipe Stands
    Bauer Portaband/Swag table
    Grinders-Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Dewalt
    ArcUnion M-20 portable rod oven

Post Thanks / Like

somethings i'll take the happy knock out juice for, no questions.

the camera for a look see in your insides, pick your end, doesn't matter you want to be out for it.

having wisdom teeth removed, they are always a bugger and when they have to be hammered and chiselled out, best be out for it. thankfully mine where top and bottom on same side so i could still eat. looked like i'd been hit with a brick with the bruising after

and eye stuff, you are only getting to poke my eye with tools if i'm out. i don't even wear contacts as i'm that adverse to poking my eyes with something. and eyes drops are a fight to get near them.

in regards to the get bent? why? would it not of been easier to just weld bars on at 90deg instead of cutting/ bending/ welding? or is there something i'm missing?

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  transport3.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  216.3 KB It would have been absolutely easier to just weld on a piece, but I can never get them tacked at a reasonably straight angle without some sort of fixture.

I figure it took about 1 minute to slice the parts, then another 6-7 minutes apiece to heat/weld/grind.

The material is 5/8 cold roll. The filler is 70Ksi. So, even though the weld isn't fully matching the profile(about half the diameter), the strength is close enough to the cold roll to be ok. These pins will have to take around 375lbs of pull in a straight line(90* to the main straight piece welded through the tubing). Combined load on both pins is 750#. The ears just keep the hooks from falling off, and never take any meaningful load.

The load is a lever that has to apply 1000ft/lbs of torque. The lever is 2' long, which takes the load down to 500#...........although the lever angle, or vector, raises the pull to around 700-750# pull.

I'm concerned about my connections at the other end of the arms, and mast. It's one heck of a lot of torque, especially on the mast. I'm worried about the stress in the bolted area. Not the bolts themselves, but the steel the bolts pass through. I may have made a mistake in the way I designed the connections.

Post Thanks / Like

Awake for a cataract? No thanks. I had a bit of stuff stuck in a cornea some years ago. Eye Doc numbed it with drops, had me put my head on his rig, and told me not to move or blink. Next, I see a needle coming out of the corner of my eye. Jumped back. He was a gruff old guy and after several tries, his receptionist had to push on the back of my head while he held my eye open with one had. Nipped the problem out in about 1/2 second. I just could not hold still with that needle coming at me.

I have had propofol (the stuff that killed Michael Jackson) several times for minor procedures and recommend it. No residual effects that I noticed. First time I asked the Doc if it was the stuff that killed MJ, and she said it was but the difference was she knew what she was doing.

FWIW

17. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bent pieces should do what you need them to do. It happens I have a bunch of 3" diameter 5/16" thick discs. I probably would have punched a 5/8" hole in them and slipped them over the shaft and welded them on but your solution should work.
    ---Meltedmetal

19. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No criticism or anything, just an idea for others in the future. I do loops like these with used semi-trailer u-bolts (I have a ton of them) cut the u-bolt legs at the angle you want and weld it on, this one is 7/8" stock on the end of my forklift boom. I use a 1-1/2 ton chain pull to take the stress off the forks handling truck engines and other heavy stuff.
    Name:  20220803_152906.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  224.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    No criticism or anything, just an idea for others in the future. I do loops like these with used semi-trailer u-bolts (I have a ton of them) cut the u-bolt legs at the angle you want and weld it on, this one is 7/8" stock on the end of my forklift boom. I use a 1-1/2 ton chain pull to take the stress off the forks handling truck engines and other heavy stuff.
    Name:  20220803_152906.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  224.4 KB
    i've been racking my brain for where i did the SAME thing. (prob 7/8"d too)

looked at old photos but can't seem to remember.

sucks to get old....
    :

22. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i've been racking my brain for where i did the SAME thing. (prob 7/8"d too)

looked at old photos but can't seem to remember.

sucks to get old....
    When I change springs or axles I do not waste time reusing u-bolts they get cut above the axle pad and tossed out, but they make great loops for hooking on to stuff.

24. Likes Willie B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    When I change springs or axles I do not waste time reusing u-bolts they get cut above the axle pad and tossed out, but they make great loops for hooking on to stuff.
    I had new rear springs & ALL the hardware replaced on the 1990 Top Kick. New U bolts were equipped with the very long nuts, but U bolts weren't long enough, left a couple threads shy. Truck failed safety inspection because of it, there were other issues also. I was surprised, even down to two fire extinguishers not screwed to the cab. Triangles were behind the seat, it seems that is NOT OK.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I had new rear springs & ALL the hardware replaced on the 1990 Top Kick. New U bolts were equipped with the very long nuts, but U bolts weren't long enough, left a couple threads shy. Truck failed safety inspection because of it, there were other issues also. I was surprised, even down to two fire extinguishers not screwed to the cab. Triangles were behind the seat, it seems that is NOT OK.
    same here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

So where are you supposed to store the triangles? Guess I could hang them from the rear view mirrors...

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Had a truck in last year that had a safety warning about 2 missing bolts on the 5th wheel mount rails. The rails were pre-drilled angle iron and the "missing bolt" on each side was never drilled through the frame rail because of a crossmember obstruction behind the rail. there were 9 functional bolts per side but Mr. DOT was fixated on those holes in the mount rails... I filled the holes with weld and smoothed it up with a dab of paint. Mr. "Inspector" was thrilled there were no missing bolts.
    Funny thing is they can't tell you how many bolts you are required to have. I've seen rigs with 4 per side.

29. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  transport4.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  213.2 KB And so it goes.................

31. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty stout from here...

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Fail

I don't work with pulleys, so I don't know how they react to forces.

Name:  transport5.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  278.1 KB I had a clue that they need to be in line, and assumed that the hooks had enough play to allow them to swivel. God, how wrong I was. They didn't swivel enough, and ruined the winch line. As the line goes over the edge, not in a straight line, the line is cut by the edge of the pulley. This is an absolute failure, and it's on me.

The assembly worked absolutely fantastic, but for this.

So........we go out to look at the problem. I always ask K'kins to come with me. She sees things in a different light, and generally has a very different opinion. On this deal, we both agreed that I'd f'd up bigtime.

So.........................I need swiveling pulleys. No big deal I thought. EXCEPT THAT NO COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE SNATCH BLOCKS ARE MADE IN THE DIMENSIONS I NEED. Hell...............why not

The main problem is....none of the stuff out there has a big enough hook. Before y'all get yer undies in a bunch.........I have a total of 10 inches to accomodate two snatch blocks meeting face to face. I'm working with very limited space. Nothing on the market meets this criteria.

At this point, I'm facing making snatch blocks. I can use the existing hooks, and the existing pulley wheels, to make a swiveling assembly.

There's about 25 days left in the month. Have an axle rebuild, baler fix, and high clearance shoes to make for the disc mower.

We sat down, and figured I could work on the axle during the day, and the snatch block at night(it's mostly machining). Days only give about 4 useable working hours per day due to the 100+ heat. It's doable.

The very good upside.................this rig makes the rake street legal......or at least street safe. I suppose that's about at least 90% of the game. I can lift the arms vertical.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 08-06-2022 at 10:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The takeaway.........which I didn't realize. Lines will always seek a straight line pull. Always. If you don't anticipate that, you're in trouble. I made a wrong assumption as to the flexibility of the pulley system. All pulleys had to be fully articulated. Dummy me.

Post Thanks / Like

So.........................I need swiveling pulleys. No big deal I thought. EXCEPT THAT NO COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE SNATCH BLOCKS ARE MADE IN THE DIMENSIONS I NEED. Hell...............why not

The main problem is....none of the stuff out there has a big enough hook. Before y'all get yer undies in a bunch.........I have a total of 10 inches to accomodate two snatch blocks meeting face to face. I'm working with very limited space.
    If you can post a basic sketch of the machinery and maybe an enlarged sketch or two of the problem area, members here might have suggestions. I don't understand the part about two snatch blocks; are there two blocks pulling two pieces of the equipment together? Two blocks on one piece, pulling on both sides at the same time?
    Suppose you attached the block(s) with a short piece of heavy chain rather than solid linkage? Hard to guess when in the dark.