Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 81

Thread: Best welding helmet for tig?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    On the machine or helmet? Helmet doesn't have those options and I don't use pulse on my machine because it's a 0 skill required way of welding.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    It's not that I don't want him too it's just that 1 I don't think he's pay 1k he agreed to buy me a helmet for around 500 but I already have a credit for 500 so I'll use it towards a helmet and if it's more then I'll ask him to cover the rest up to 500$. I just don't want to get the g5-02 for it to be trash. I have no experience with speed glad except the cheaper ones and they weren't that good.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Nah, I choose the helmet and he splits it with me. Harbor freight helmets are **** fyi. I can't use something that'll fail in a few months when Im doing work worth hundreds of thousands for the navy, hospitals, casinos, police, and other huge companies

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Well idk if the g5-02 is even a good helmet or worth anything close to it's price.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    2,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Welder View Post
    Nah, I choose the helmet and he splits it with me. Harbor freight helmets are **** fyi. I can't use something that'll fail in a few months when Im doing work worth hundreds of thousands for the navy, hospitals, casinos, police, and other huge companies
    And no pulse welding either, because everyone knows that's no skill required type of work

    Sent from my fab shop using a mig welder and a grinder

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    2,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Welder View Post
    On the machine or helmet? Helmet doesn't have those options and I don't use pulse on my machine because it's a 0 skill required way of welding.
    Tig welding in general is zero skill, get a real job

    Sent from my fab shop using a mig welder and a grinder

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal-LA
    Posts
    10,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Welder View Post
    Nah, I choose the helmet and he splits it with me. Harbor freight helmets are **** fyi. I can't use something that'll fail in a few months when Im doing work worth hundreds of thousands for the navy, hospitals, casinos, police, and other huge companies
    Hmmmm. I give my employees a hood. After that they go buy whatever they want on their nickle.

    Once you go pro you will have backups.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal-LA
    Posts
    10,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Welder View Post
    On the machine or helmet? Helmet doesn't have those options and I don't use pulse on my machine because it's a 0 skill required way of welding.
    Huh, WUT? Does it have adjustable/programmable arc start at least? Is it inverter or transformer?
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Never say that here
    From my back ground stick is hardest then fluxcore. Mig and Tig is easy to ?????

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Tig welding in general is zero skill, get a real job

    Sent from my fab shop using a mig welder and a grinder

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    2,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Never say that here
    From my back ground stick is hardest then fluxcore. Mig and Tig is easy to ?????

    Dave
    I'm just giving the OP a hard time because of his statements about zero skill work, and huge clients that he works for.



    Sent from my fab shop using a mig welder and a grinder

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    I can not say tig was hard as last one I learned. It like using a torch with hood on. Both are slow 🐌 and I need speed.
    Even stick was easy for but a lot of people have hard time with stick too. Fluxcore is always a problem since most try weld like mig and does not workout .

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I'm just giving the OP a hard time because of his statements about zero skill work, and huge clients that he works for.



    Sent from my fab shop using a mig welder and a grinder

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Transformer I believe, miller syncrowave 350

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Idk about you but anyone can learn to lay mig dimes in any position in under 5 hours and stick is just as easy. From single passes go multipasses including bevels and different electrodes for root welds etc. Tig is the one that actually takes time and all to learn and no one truly masters it.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    I didn't quite get what you meant by your comment lol, to me and many others pulsing just requires no skill or pedal control because all you do is drag the torch like a mig gun and throw in wire if you even need any. It has its uses but anyone who use it as their primary source of welding has no business saying they can weld because anyone can use pulse.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    I personally think flux is easier than mig. Smoother too. I don't use them on a daily basis because I prefer to specialize in tig as I believe that's where the money's at for precision time consuming work

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    I'm just trying to figure out if the miller digital elite is good or if it's worth getting the speedglas g5-02

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,073
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Welder View Post
    Idk about you but anyone can learn to lay mig dimes in any position in under 5 hours and stick is just as easy. From single passes go multipasses including bevels and different electrodes for root welds etc. Tig is the one that actually takes time and all to learn and no one truly masters it.
    Ehhhhh........ that's a mighty big statement to make.

    I'm not saying you're wrong or right.

    BUT, I don't care about stacking dimes. I like GOOD welds. Teach a new welder to set their own machine and run any position with GOOD results in 5 hours, whether MIG or SMAW and you might as well be a magician.



    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 1 Week Ago at 12:43 AM. Reason: Typo

  18. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
  19. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal-LA
    Posts
    10,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Welder View Post
    I didn't quite get what you meant by your comment lol, to me and many others pulsing just requires no skill or pedal control because all you do is drag the torch like a mig gun and throw in wire if you even need any. It has its uses but anyone who use it as their primary source of welding has no business saying they can weld because anyone can use pulse.
    High Speed pulse. You don't have it on your Synch350. You are describing low speed pulse for cadence. I get you, kind of dumb and I don't waste my time with low speed pulse. High Speed pulse is like 100 pps and above for DC arc puddle agitation, and perhaps arc flaring for low penetration.
    High speed pulse also keeps your hood sensors excited for darkening. Sometimes a low standard arc results in flashing. Most really high quality hoods have sensitivity adjustment but many times does not get it done. I found this out when my AD would not stay dark on DC but always did fine on AC.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

  20. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Welder View Post
    I didn't quite get what you meant by your comment lol, to me and many others pulsing just requires no skill or pedal control because all you do is drag the torch like a mig gun and throw in wire if you even need any. It has its uses but anyone who use it as their primary source of welding has no business saying they can weld because anyone can use pulse.
    Well at the risk of derailing the thread further....

    Ancient welding proverb say "ask 5 welders how to do something and get 7 answers" (or some variation of).

    Just because there's different ways of doing it, does not mean that it's a "lesser" way. Honestly I'm confused why you wouldn't make the easiest welds you could, that's why machine welders and positioners were invented. Because it's economical and doing a repetitive job over and over you want to make it easier on yourself. I get it we all like to flex about how difficult manual welding is, but unless you're welding strictly for the challenge of it, economics play a factor. The hard way is almost never going to be the most efficient, and when you quote a job based on how long it'll take you, are you not incentivized to be efficient while maintaining quality? That's more money for you, your company, or your customer if you pass it along to them. If difficulty is your jam why not use the same gear they used when they invented TIG and it was called heliarc? Modern high frequency arc starting bah, AC welding on aluminum? Bah where's the challenge if the polarity cleans for you, just do DCEN and suffer through the contamination because it's way harder that way. Next you'll tell me you only use 1/8" diameter tungsten regardless of amperage because fighting arc wander means you have more skill.

    You have a unique and rather blind outlook on welding if I'm honest. To say that pulse welding is automatically easier and it's beneath your skill because it requires no effort is also patently wrong from my experience.

    We build a job at work, it's 0.063" titanium to RPS11.14 (Goodrich's aerospace fusion welding spec), it mandates all sorts of high quality requirements, chief among them is no blue on the weld. This job is a bunch of really horrible access fillet welds, if you try and straight amps (no pulse) dab wire into it you'll be there forever, probably overheat everything and get all sorts of bluing. Or you can set your machine to floor the pedal (because it's all the same thickness so why not make it consistent) and pulse over the wire, meeting the customer drawing/weld spec and doing it faster than you would otherwise by miles. And guess what? The limited access nature of the weld joint still makes it an incredibly difficult job.

    Don't even get me started on weld repairing a longitudinal machine weld on sintered mesh made out of a nonsense alloy with straight amps, best of luck. Or materials that qualify as foil, so below 0.010" thick. A welder who knows how to set the pulse to get the results he wants is a better welder than one who never uses it all in my opinion. I see it at work all the time, guys who run straight amps on some of the Inconel alloys always seem to end up with more defects than guys who run high frequency pulse all the time.

    On the topic of which hood to buy, do what you want, as I stated before every hood has it's drawbacks. In the price bracket you're looking at I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
    Last edited by Thoriated Wolfram; 1 Week Ago at 01:01 PM.

  21. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ct
    Posts
    2,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoriated Wolfram View Post
    Well at the risk of derailing the thread further....

    Ancient welding proverb say "ask 5 welders how to do something and get 7 answers" (or some variation of).

    Just because there's different ways of doing it, does not mean that it's a "lesser" way. Honestly I'm confused why you wouldn't make the easiest welds you could, that's why machine welders and positioners were invented. Because it's economical and doing a repetitive job over and over you want to make it easier on yourself. I get it we all like to flex about how difficult manual welding is, but unless you're welding strictly for the challenge of it, economics play a factor. The hard way is almost never going to be the most efficient, and when you quote a job based on how long it'll take you, are you not incentivized to be efficient while maintaining quality? That's more money for you, your company, or your customer if you pass it along to them. If difficulty is your jam why not use the same gear they used when they invented TIG and it was called heliarc? Modern high frequency arc starting bah, AC welding on aluminum? Bah where's the challenge if the polarity cleans for you, just do DCEN and suffer through the contamination because it's way harder that way. Next you'll tell me you only use 1/8" diameter tungsten regardless of amperage because fighting arc wander means you have more skill.

    You have a unique and rather blind outlook on welding if I'm honest. To say that pulse welding is automatically easier and it's beneath your skill because it requires no effort is also patently wrong from my experience.

    We build a job at work, it's 0.063" titanium to RPS11.14 (Goodrich's aerospace fusion welding spec), it mandates all sorts of high quality requirements, chief among them is no blue on the weld. This job is a bunch of really horrible access fillet welds, if you try and straight amps (no pulse) dab wire into it you'll be there forever, probably overheat everything and get all sorts of bluing. Or you can set your machine to floor the pedal (because it's all the same thickness so why not make it consistent) and pulse over the wire, meeting the customer drawing/weld spec and doing it faster than you would otherwise by miles. And guess what? The limited access nature of the weld joint still makes it an incredibly difficult job.

    Don't even get me started on weld repairing a longitudinal machine weld on sintered mesh made out of a nonsense alloy with straight amps, best of luck. Or materials that qualify as foil, so below 0.010" thick. A welder who knows how to set the pulse to get the results he wants is a better welder than one who never uses it all in my opinion. I see it at work all the time, guys who run straight amps on some of the Inconel alloys always seem to end up with more defects than guys who run high frequency pulse all the time.

    On the topic of which hood to buy, do what you want, as I stated before every hood has it's drawbacks. In the price bracket you're looking at I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
    What he said

    Sent from my fab shop using a mig welder and a grinder

  22. Likes Thoriated Wolfram liked this post
  23. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    im now convinced the OP is a kid in his moms basement playing jokes
    invertig 221 water cooled
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    fronius iwave 230i water cooled

  24. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    7,976
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Quote Originally Posted by cornchip View Post
    im now convinced the OP is a kid in his moms basement playing jokes
    pretty smart kid if so….


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  25. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    whats so smart about him ? i havent seen any proof yet
    invertig 221 water cooled
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    fronius iwave 230i water cooled

  26. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Welcome to group.
    I use a welding hood when I did tig welding.
    Today I just fluxcore welding or torch.
    If did tig I would just use a welding hood.

    Dave


    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Welder View Post
    what is the best welding helmet for tig? im in the USA, i like the miller infinitys field of view but the lens isent super clear, is the miller digital elite clearlight 2.0 good? anything better? anyone have any recommendations? no optrel products though please.

  27. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best welding helmet for tig?

    Many of the low cost hoods will flash light and dark under 30 amps. Get clarification on low amp use prior to purchase.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,660,758,040.08324 seconds with 14 queries