Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problem drilling mild steel flat bar

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem drilling mild steel flat bar

On mild steel you should produce ribbons, not chips.

2. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Using a sharp bit, try it on 900 and 570 rpm. I think you will leave it on 570 rpm when you see the difference. I doubt you saw any ribbons at 2000+ rpm.

I know your bits will last longer.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

4. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps look at the chart as up to the drill size, so 1360 would be recommended. My drill was altered for drilling large holes and using hole saws. So, I drill everything at 100ish rpm’s. Slow for small drill bits, but beautiful to always see ribbons being produce and positive progress.

6. Likes whtbaron, Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that "slower is almost always better" -- for the simple reason that you're less likely to overheat the bit and/or harden the workpiece -- but I believe there is also such a thing as "too slow." I'm not a machinist, but I believe that if you go too slow, things can get "grabby," potentially breaking the drill bit, mangling the workpiece and injuring the operator...I'm always careful to fixture/clamp everything down good when using slow cut speeds. There's a LOT of torque at the chuck when you step down the "gear ratio" so much.
    Last edited by StandarDyne; 4 Days Ago at 08:27 AM.

8. Likes Flyer58, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer58 View Post
    I did use cutting fluid, which I called oil earlier, and set the speed based on the decal on the drill press. The metal is actually 1/8 mild steel but my handy dandy thickness gauge is in decimal and gauge. I'm totally sold on the idea of getting a sharpener or at least watching a few videos about how to resharpen the bit I have. I appreciate everyone input

Drill press recommended RPM:

Attachment 1742226
    You should have been drilling at less than 1300, so 900 if that's the next speed down

Sent from my fab shop using a mig welder and a grinder

10. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This old Tony has a pretty good sharpening tutorial

MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC, victor Oxy/Acet

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

12. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When doing a lot of drilling in A36 using a 3/16" drill bit I use 1800 to 2000 rpm

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    You should have been drilling at less than 1300, so 900 if that's the next speed down

Sent from my fab shop using a mig welder and a grinder

14. Likes Flyer58, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Need a battery drill for hand drilling, I realize there are other ways and lots more guys know way more than I do about it but not many beat me up when it is time to punch a few holes in a strip. I hand drill host things even in the shop, small holes with odd setups are just so much faster on the bench or in a vise vs truing to fit everything in a jig on a press. Again I understand other ways of doing this but I grew up with the same thing, my first drilling wasnt what it is now whare I get feel for speed and prtessure and regulate easily with battery drill and also much safer on larger holes as the tool is power limited.
    As I mention, I drill most all of this dry and often use a few drops of water if I wanna cool but I am finishing and painting and dont want that crap all over my shop, if it ruins a little bit, oh well, if I gotta sharpen a bigger on so be it, like a grinding wheel just part of the cost, when it becomes cheaper I toss. I buy the small bits for a dollar and they are those noresman ones USA and simply get a handfull on occasion, be different if they were 5 but at a dollar, 2 for a 1/4, bought 10 and going to get 10 more this year a size up. They get lost, spread out, ruined, sharpened on occasion. I got an index, a couple with all the sizes but got a tackle tray on a bench with pile of bits and use all those for the rough fab.
    I am so accurate hand plasma I blow a lot of holes with it, I got to be careful to make them big enough, can do it to near thread a bolt in.

16. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to get another can of Rapid Tap, good thing to have on hand but use it a few drops at a time and can use it right up at the end of a cut without running all over. A lot of my dripping really does end up in chips,,, but,,, its relatively fast and there is a hole when I am done, I dont care about a curled chip at the finish,, I want the hole and it really doesnt know if its the proper way or not.
    I dont always go so fast but I timed a "what could" time with actual drilling, already had the pilot and 3/8 thick with 3 drops per 1/8 and could cut this 1 1/8 in 40 seconds. Now,,,, there are other ways, better bits I am sure, some more perfect scheme involving lots morre tools and a whole puddle of fluid but aint no way, no how to do this in place this fast and accurate with as few tools and economical as this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sberry; 4 Days Ago at 10:05 AM.

18. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the case of the op,,, overheated the bit, too fast, too long mayube, not enough pressure at the right time, etc but most likely a combination of that and burning the end of the bit in to a hard admix left in the hole, drilling from other side with new was easy,,, not a real huge mystery.

20. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I try avoiding any type oil for drilling steel it is one thing that needs cleaning before welding and or painting.

When do use cutting that need cutting I just use pipe threading

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I need to get another can of Rapid Tap, good thing to have on hand but use it a few drops at a time and can use it right up at the end of a cut without running all over. A lot of my dripping really does end up in chips,,, but,,, its relatively fast and there is a hole when I am done, I dont care about a curled chip at the finish,, I want the hole and it really doesnt know if its the proper way or not.

22. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I generally wipe off the oil after I'm done drilling. Paint sticks better that way.

24. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am hesitant to use cutting fluid when i punch or drill, since it will need to be cleaned off. I used soapy water on my lathe once for aluminum machining, the resulting red/ orange finish has lasted about 15 years.

26. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried soapy water and its cheap and works well but the resultant rust on iron worker, drill press and vises wasn’t worth it.

I now prefer petroleum based coolants followed by a wipe down with stoddard solvent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

28. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great
    But try that with 20 to 100 tons a month in steel. Even brushing oil take time.
    If doing a little projects I will use cutting oil.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I am hesitant to use cutting fluid when i punch or drill, since it will need to be cleaned off. I used soapy water on my lathe once for aluminum machining, the resulting red/ orange finish has lasted about 15 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this was my first attempt at sharpening a 3/8 drill on the bench grinder. In some ways it was easier than expected but I also determined I needed to be a bit more exact when getting proper alignment, angles and straight edges so it will take more practice and a lot more time if i try making a split point using my Dremel. I also need a better magnifying glass and some accurate measuring tools. Small diameter bit aren't gonna happen at this point without a dedicated sharpening tool. Maybe with better reading glasses.

Here's the cutting results, dry and the press set at 900 RPM. I think there were two ribbons but I stopped when something flew off and I could never find it so it's possible only one edge was cutting.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  658.3 KB
    Last edited by Flyer58; 3 Days Ago at 05:58 PM.

31. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The titanium coated bits are very brittle and chip often. I prefer to sharpen them lightly more often than to wait for them to go dead.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    I agree that "slower is almost always better" -- for the simple reason that you're less likely to overheat the bit and/or harden the workpiece -- but I believe there is also such a thing as "too slow." I'm not a machinist, but I believe that if you go too slow, things can get "grabby," potentially breaking the drill bit, mangling the workpiece and injuring the operator...I'm always careful to fixture/clamp everything down good when using slow cut speeds. There's a LOT of torque at the chuck when you step down the "gear ratio" so much.
    The only problem I have at 80 rpm is that it will slip the belt when it "grabs". I do use cross slide vises to hold the victim steady but I haven't experienced a lot of damage or injury. Sometimes with thin sheet you need to hold it down flat with high clearance vice grips or C clamps. A reverse on the drill would come in handy for when it jambs and "some day" it's going to get wired for a reversing switch.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

You got chips 🍟.
    I have been sharpening drill bits since the 1960's.

Great job 👏 👍 👌

Dave

Well this was my first attempt at sharpening a 3/8 drill on the bench grinder. In some ways it was easier than expected but I also determined I needed to be a bit more exact when getting proper alignment, angles and straight edges so it will take more practice and a lot more time if i try making a split point using my Dremel. I also need a better magnifying glass and some accurate measuring tools. Small diameter bit aren't gonna happen at this point without a dedicated sharpening tool. Maybe with better reading glasses.

Here's the cutting results, dry and the press set at 900 RPM. I think there were two ribbons but I stopped when something flew off and I could never find it so it's possible only one edge was cutting.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  658.3 KB

35. Likes Flyer58 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    You got chips ��.
    I have been sharpening drill bits since the 1960's.

Great job �� �� ��

Dave
    Thanks! LOL. Not the first time I've ended up with chips. My avatar is a potato chip like the first time, 25 years ago, when I welded a square tube door frame and didn't know about distortion and how to minimize it.
    Old Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 MIG conversion
    Vulcan 220 Omnipro

37. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was buying a gross of drill bits and reshaping. So paid big time to reshaping .

Try contact tips.
    I would throw a boat load till one I ran out. The welder need one as got to close to work with tip and weld the wire to tip.
    I remove the cup took grinder and ground back the bad spot and he keep welding.
    The only other option was stick and I only that could weld stick and 1,000 of pieces to weld. Hard to keep employees working when your under the hood. They will stop and watch you welded.

Dave

Thanks! LOL. Not the first time I've ended up with chips. My avatar is a potato chip like the first time, 25 years ago, when I welded a square tube door frame and didn't know about distortion and how to minimize it.

Post Thanks / Like

We used to dril a ton of contact tips, being copper a dull drill would snap almost immediately, we drilled them in a lathe with a collet setup, usually .045 tips that we'd punch to 1/16.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Bernard had some wrongly labeled Centerfire tips. Customers couldn't understand why the wire wouldn't go through their new contact tips. Things like that can make some customers pretty irate... and for good reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I dont always go so fast but I timed a "what could" time with actual drilling, already had the pilot and 3/8 thick with 3 drops per 1/8 and could cut this 1 1/8 in 40 seconds. Now,,,, there are other ways, better bits I am sure, some more perfect scheme involving lots morre tools and a whole puddle of fluid but aint no way, no how to do this in place this fast and accurate with as few tools and economical as this.
    Rapid Tap is good stuff. I used it with the boring head in the drill press. It definitely helped.

Post Thanks / Like

You can use rapid a couple drops at a time, different than the regular cutting fluid used to flood it.