+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spray Paint-Powdercoat-Black Oxide

Post Thanks / Like

Spray Paint-Powdercoat-Black Oxide

I am new here and had been taught welding basics from a nearby shipyard and furthered some education in an adult afterhours education program and have been away from welding for 20 years. I am just getting back into it since I have purchased a tig welder in the last year which I have longed for.
    I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a cnc plasma cutting table and I was wondering what people prefer coating there products with. I understand each has its own purpose but I wanted to hear from others what they think of powder coating vs spray painting vs black oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spray Paint-Powdercoat-Black Oxide

Powder is OK but a lot of cleaning need for powder to stick

Paint is simple and will last a long time

Black oxidation needs to sandblasted before bluing

There is also plating simple for copper plating root kill from hardware store and old copper wire.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wakeboardsteve View Post
    I am new here and had been taught welding basics from a nearby shipyard and furthered some education in an adult afterhours education program and have been away from welding for 20 years. I am just getting back into it since I have purchased a tig welder in the last year which I have longed for.
    I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a cnc plasma cutting table and I was wondering what people prefer coating there products with. I understand each has its own purpose but I wanted to hear from others what they think of powder coating vs spray painting vs black oxidation.

Post Thanks / Like

root kill, like round up.

Post Thanks / Like

Copper sulfate for tree roots.
    Found in plumbing section.
    It is used for sewer lines.

Dave

root kill, like round up.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot depends upon the use of the item. Plus the size of the item. Small items may be put in typical sand blast cabinet, then power coated and baked in an toaster oven, regular sized oven, or you can make your own oven. There is a member here by the name of "acourtjester". Search on his name and powder coating and you can see an oven he made. He has also made and sold several plasma tables.
    I have a plasma table. I either let my items rust or use spray paint. If required by the customer, I send out for powder coating. I do not have the room for a blasting booth and oven big enough for some items I make.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have a 18x21 carport I am just starting to convert to a shop, I cant imagine me being able to do everything in that little space.

Post Thanks / Like

After it is copper you can Nickel plate at home witch looks like chrome plate and is safer to do.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on size of work.
    For painting I use a bread rakes from bakery. It can roll out size for painting then roll inside for drying overnight.

Dave

Thanks. I have a 18x21 carport I am just starting to convert to a shop, I cant imagine me being able to do everything in that little space.

Post Thanks / Like

would be a good idea, I have made several crabs and had them zinc plated and I do plan on building more of them. I had originally made 11 of them and now I have to tell people no because they are also a deco piece for the resturant I run. Nickle would be a better outcome then the clear zinc. Thanks man

10. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck.

Dave

would be a good idea, I have made several crabs and had them zinc plated and I do plan on building more of them. I had originally made 11 of them and now I have to tell people no because they are also a deco piece for the resturant I run. Nickle would be a better outcome then the clear zinc. Thanks man

Post Thanks / Like

If you are making the items for yourself that is one thing.
    If being offered for sale, is the customer willing to pay the premium for each of the finishes?
    If you do it, how long will it take and cost you?
    How much to contract to an outside party?
    What else can you be doing while the item is being finished by the outside party?
    In other words, what is your time worth?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to tell you
    Nickel and copper are easy plating at home.
    To clean the steel sandblasting and then pool acid before plating even vinegar will work.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist