Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you think if you saw this welding?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What would you think if you saw this welding?

I do a lot of equipment repair & my goal is to make every weld that goes out PERFECT. However since it is not new steel & usually has to be heatn & beatn to get it somewhat back in shape to be repaired, they seldom do go out perfect. As long as they are sound welds that will serve the purpose, a swipe or two with a flap disc, a shot of paint & let 'er go.

Strive for perfection - you will always get better, settle for the best you can do. Most times the only person that will notice the flaws will be yourself.

2. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Positioning where its an easy flat weld will result in a better looking job.
    My local trailer manufacturer rotates their frames (flipping 'em with a forklift last I heard) to permit as many easy horizontal welds as practical. It's worth the effort to get good at lifting, clamping and rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

We got rigs for lots of stuff but I rarely consider the position for limited work. The hog it obviously makes easy sense to do it that way but a good share of what we do it vert and OH but nothing on that machine I would have flipped it for unless I could do it by hand. MFG for sure, give it as much help as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I am feeling apprehensive right now, had a repair tank yesterday, a trailer shackle and I done it above and beyond and the rest of it looked intact, not a concern so much I didnt even take payment till this morning, should have pilled cash over the weekend,,, ha but was a shiat design and I fix the failure up better. First time it has happened to me in so long I cant even remember, I havnt had a welding call back in 40 years. I discussed this a bit with the guyu over the weekend, says they are peddling this, had been repaired before, we didnt think there was an external cause, it all fit right up in place etc.
    So,,,, the water burner thread brought this on,, repairs I have done a lot and exceed the original on occasion can still have oh shiats to them. I normally look for the fault, we assumed it was the original design and the repair following which I correct.