Thread: Dial Arc 250p is kaput.

Post Thanks / Like

Dial Arc 250p is kaput.

Flipped the switch and the fan comes on but it will not weld. Tried it on low, high and AC and DC. Hit the reset. No luck.
    It was working fine two days ago.
    Darkness caught me so I did not have time to switch out the leads which I will do tomorrow.
    If I have to open it up, what is the main things to look for?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dial Arc 250p is kaput.

Say it aint so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you would normally hear transformer hum when
    switch is on. Does it hum now?
    I see there’s a thermostat, circuit breaker, and rectifiers in
    the rheostat(amperage control knob) circuit. If one of these
    was open , fan would still run, machine wouldn’t weld.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

4. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Verify your input power and that there are no shorts in the feeder circuit. You haven't tampered with the input voltage jumpers recently, have you? You might want to check and make sure one of those jumpers didn't come loose. There are so few things that could go wrong with those. If you sure the circuit breakers are all good/reset, and its not an input power issue, I would check that the thermostat isn't stuck open, that the bridge rectifier for the control circuit (SR2) has not failed, check that the rheostat is not failed (full open/infinity ohms) and check the amp range switch is making good contact.

There are no circuit boards in those, unlike a Syncrowave, so there isn't much to go wrong.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Verify your input power and that there are no shorts in the feeder circuit. You haven't tampered with the input voltage jumpers recently, have you? You might want to check and make sure one of those jumpers didn't come loose. There are so few things that could go wrong with those. If you sure the circuit breakers are all good/reset, and its not an input power issue, I would check that the thermostat isn't stuck open, that the bridge rectifier for the control circuit (SR2) has not failed, check that the rheostat is not failed (full open/infinity ohms) and check the amp range switch is making good contact.

There are no circuit boards in those, unlike a Syncrowave, so there isn't much to go wrong.

Turned out my breaker had gone bad. One leg had juice the other didn't. the fan must have been on the good side.

On another note my other two set of lead are hiding from me. I remember putting them somewhere safe the last time I cleaned up. I just can't remember where.

7. Likes Louie1961, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, pretty hard to break a Dialarc. I think I could break a sledgehammer easier.

9. Likes 12V71, Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccwilder3 View Post
    Turned out my breaker had gone bad. One leg had juice the other didn't. the fan must have been on the good side.

On another note my other two set of lead are hiding from me. I remember putting them somewhere safe the last time I cleaned up. I just can't remember where.
    Had that happen once with the incoming lines over the building. One connection worked itself loose from the triplex and cut the voltage to the 230 lines in half.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

11. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccwilder3 View Post
    Verify your input power and that there are no shorts in the feeder circuit. ...

Thanks for emphasizing where the problem was.

Regarding your leads, I do know you didn't loan them to me ... in fact, I don't even know where you live (and what weather, politics, or equipment shortages you are subjected to), so maybe you'd like to add that to your Personal Details, Settings or whatever it's called here, so members can come over when you need help, or borrow tools....

13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Had that happen once with the incoming lines over the building. One connection worked itself loose from the triplex and cut the voltage to the 230 lines in half.
    Had the same sort of problem 5 years ago that cost me a 7-1/2 HP compressor motor. Turned out to be a bad connection on the pole transformer.

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dial Arc 250p is kaput.

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Had the same sort of problem 5 years ago that cost me a 7-1/2 HP compressor motor. Turned out to be a bad connection on the pole transformer.
    bummer !!

just last sunday a transformer blew at 3am. when the utility guys reset the breakers 8 hours later they took their sweet time resetting them
    individually and consequently my (3 phase) air compressor tried to start up and single phased.

monday morning i thought my compressor motor was toast but fortunately i "only" had to replace the magnetic starter.

Last edited by Lis2323; 08-07-2022 at 03:54 PM.
    :

17. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad it was an easy fix!
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    bummer !!

just last sunday a transformer blew at 3am. when the utility guys reset the breakers 8 hours later they took their sweet time resetting them
    individually and consequently my (3 phase) air compressor tried to start up and single phased.

monday morning i thought my compressor motor was toast but fortunately i "only" had to replace the magnetic starter.

Square D now has Motor Logic motor control. The old motor control in your picture likely uses melting alloy thermal units. An electric heater wraps around a solder pot. Passing through the solder pot is a brass "gear" on the same shaft is a star wheel with a gun trigger like mechanism. If one of three heaters overheats, it melts the solder, allowing a spring to rotate the shaft a cog. The whole mechanism is dated maybe Nicola Tesla vintage. It takes a while to react.

Motor logic senses different current in each phase, it can react in 10 seconds sensing magnetic field, it MIGHT save your three phase motor.

My experience in industrial situations; a machine gets plugged, blocks motor rotation, a fuse blows, & it single phases. The motors protected by Motor Logic usually are undamaged, older melting alloy motor controls do not usually save the motor. I far prefer circuit breakers, but it's hard to get breakers in every current rating.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

20. Likes Lis2323, StandarDyne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A motor book I've kept above my desk 15 years estimates a 5% imbalance in phase voltage can increase internal BTU in a motor 40%. They don't estimate what single phase does. I can't offer statistics. It often makes burned motors.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

22. Likes StandarDyne liked this post