+ Reply to Thread

Thread: millermatic 251 no weld question

Post Thanks / Like

millermatic 251 no weld question

yesterday my neighbor asked me to help get his millermatic 251 welder going. he says it turns on it clickes when he pull the trigger and the wire feeds out. but is will not strike an arc.

no i have yet to look at it before i asked a few questions. when i did maint and had to work on these like 30 years ago if it did this it almost always was the contactor the energized with the trigger. it would either not move when it was told to or it moved and the contacts were dirty. but this machine had a few contact relays so before i spend hours looking at the internal wire diagram it may be possible this one is different. this one has a circuit board years ago the welders i maintained did not have these, so it is possible that board has failed. the cap bank does not show any blown caps on it

so if anyone happens to have any ideas where i may start looking that will be a big help. i figure the fist i siwll do using the wire diagram is trigger output and then back test from the gun outputs back to the first point of power.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: millermatic 251 no weld question

If the board or main rectifier have failed it should give a code of HL.P 003 on the digital displays. That's the only think aside from a poor work connection or bad contact tip that's mentioned in the manual.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

thank like i said i have not yet messed with it. he said it had no codes but i will have to go over there and turn it on and see what it does. but that code is a help for starters and i will let you know what i find he told me he cleaned all the connections and when he turns it on the gas works the wire feeds so the trigger is working and it has the displays showing but he didn't say what codes he got if any, and i think he said he ca change the voltage.

does anyone happen to know what TP i can probe to test the board?
    so if i probe 7 and 8 for input to the diode pack and get power the main transformer is outputting to the diode pack?
    and then prob 44 and the tip or the positive to the gun and no power the diode pack is bad ? or the main pcb is bad? correct that is how i see it at this point

Name:  weld dia -4 diode.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  16.6 KB

Name:  Inkedwire dia-1.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  86.6 KB
    Last edited by corvairbob; 08-07-2022 at 11:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The 251 will kill the output power if you feed wire too long without initiating an arc IIRC.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

thanks will tell him that maybe he did that and forgot. also is there a setting on this machine that lets you control the length of the wire before you strike an arc? being it will shut down if the wire feeds to far out. maybe he set that to far and went past the internal fail safe? i do not know this machine and have been years for working around them so i;m a bit rusty on the controls. i think when i worked at shape there robots had those welders on some machines and when i helped the weld techs i remember some of the settings but most of them was done thru the robot controls and i did not mess with the robots.

thanks
    Last edited by corvairbob; 08-08-2022 at 09:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corvairbob View Post
    thanks will tell him that maybe he did that and forgot. also is there a setting on this machine that lets you control the length of the wire before you strike an arc? being it will shut down if the wire feeds to far out. maybe he set that to far and went past the internal fail safe? i do not know this machine and have been years for working around them so i;m a bit rusty on the controls. i think when i worked at shape there robots had those welders on some machines and when i helped the weld techs i remember some of the settings but most of them was done thru the robot controls and i did not mess with the robots.

thanks
    The manual might still be on Miller's site. I have my paper copy around here somewhere, but don't know where off the top of my head.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

it has been awhile but can you tell me where the power starts for the contact tip? doesn't the hose have a braded covering the carries the power from the roller area to the contact tip? if i remember from work that now and the the welders would have now welds and the weld tech changed the gun/hose and it worked. so now that i think of it could then be the issue here being he said everything seemed to work but no arc? i guess i could measure to see if there is voltage at the contact tip but there may not be enough to strike an arc, so dose this sound like a possibility? being i did not inspect those broken guns when the weld techs removed them it could have been the triggers but i'm wondering if the power cable may have failed? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

ok guys today i went and tested the lead connections at the wire feed and he had 34 volts dc. and then i did the contact tip and had 34 volts dc so i hooked up some scrap metal and gat a bead so i'm leaning to a bad whip on this one. and most likely at the gun end. now that we have been chatting on this i'm starting to remember what the weld techs had when they ran into this issue. and how they repaired it. so i told him when he needs to use it again and if he gets a no weld to let me know and i will help him take the gun apart and look for a broken braded cable at the gun lug. thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist