Thread: Miller Challenger 172 tripping breaker

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Challenger 172 tripping breaker

I have had this machine since new. Started welding as usual set on 1/4" metal using .035 flux core. My 20 amp breaker tripped after a few seconds. Pulled wire out of gun, pulled trigger and tripped again. Reset breaker and runs fine until trigger is pulled. I pulled the cover off, and tried it again, short pulls of the trigger and it sparks near a relay at the back of the machine, btw the drive motor turns when triggered but not for long. Any thoughts? TIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller Challenger 172 tripping breaker

Quote Originally Posted by Danbury5123 View Post
    I have had this machine since new. Started welding as usual set on 1/4" metal using .035 flux core. My 20 amp breaker tripped after a few seconds. Pulled wire out of gun, pulled trigger and tripped again. Reset breaker and runs fine until trigger is pulled. I pulled the cover off, and tried it again, short pulls of the trigger and it sparks near a relay at the back of the machine, btw the drive motor turns when triggered but not for long. Any thoughts? TIA
    How old is the unit and how much usage has it had? What internal circuit breakers does it have, any? Might there be a buildup of dirt or metal shavings near the relay?
    If you disconnect the gun and cable (but not the control wiring), does it act the same? Any difference if the ground cable is also disconnected?

Do you have, or can you download a schematic for the machine? If so, for the sake of making the work of helpers here easier, can you post it?

3. Likes Kpack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You may have a shorted weld output rectifier diode D1 or D2. The relay could be the main contactor with a shorted diode resulting in the spark you see.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

5. Likes Kpack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the problem, I pulled the wires off of the drive motor, pulled trigger and breaker still tripped. Removed the lower side cover and looking around I found 2 insulated wires that have been touching probably since new. They had melted the coating and shorted to one another. Separated and working great!! Thanks to everyone who commented. I will upload a picture soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job.