+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plamsa cutting

Post Thanks / Like

Plamsa cutting

Should I be worried about using a plasma cutter on a vehical? Could I ruin the electronic boards? What precaution should I do?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plamsa cutting

when ever in doubt, just disconnect the battery and keep the ground close as possible to the torch.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A/OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000
    Ingersoll Rand T-30-14hp-25cfm
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

3. Likes whtbaron, RCcrawler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you cutting on the vehicle?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by wakeboardsteve View Post
    Should I be worried about using a plasma cutter on a vehical? Could I ruin the electronic boards? What precaution should I do?

Post Thanks / Like

I've read many posts saying it's OK to use the plasma torch without disconnecting the battery but it sure won't hurt to disconnect it. Same question could be asked about MIG welding after you cut. I see exhaust shops MIG weld the brackets all day long without any problems.
    Old Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 MIG conversion
    Vulcan 220 Omnipro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    when ever in doubt, just disconnect the battery and keep the ground close as possible to the torch.
    What he said. Electricity always finds the shortest path to ground. Keep your work lead close to the stinger & on the opposite side of electronics & you should be OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    What are you cutting on the vehicle?

Dave

I am a manager at a Truck Accessory Store. Besides manager I also do all the work along side the rest of the employees. Sometimes I have to cut front bumpers when installing baseplates like on certain jeeps. It was something that I thought I had to do today but luckily didnt pan out that way. Last thing I need is to have all the air bags go off the second I pull the trigger, if that happend I would **** my pants just as fast as the bags deployed.
    Last edited by wakeboardsteve; 08-12-2022 at 07:52 PM.

8. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Be aware of heat transfer into bumper shocks as well... I've never done it myself, but I've heard of them being blown up when somebody got too close with the heat.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

It does sound like good thing to use any type of heat on that location.

Dave

I am a manager at a Truck Accessory Store. Besides manager I also do all the work along side the rest of the employees. Sometimes I have to cut front bumpers when installing baseplates like on certain jeeps. It was something that I thought I had to do today but luckily didnt pan out that way. Last thing I need is to have all the air bags go off the second I pull the trigger, if that happend I would **** my pants just as fast as the bags deployed.

Post Thanks / Like

No one has ever explained how disconnecting a battery did anything. A lot of problems with that, lots of accidents happen with batteries and new cars got so much connected equipment it can be a real deal to get it started. I never do it, I welded 0n 5000 cars, trucks tractors, couple plane, ships and trains. . Millions including a couple posters work off of truck platforms every day, can you imagine unhooking a welding truck every time use d the bumper for a vise?

Post Thanks / Like

Considering the millions of cars worked on every day, as was said, muffler shops alone you would think the forums would be littered with incidents if it was a problem?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I ever heard of this happening.

Post Thanks / Like

The most complicated electronics I've ever seen on a machine is my "new" backhoe (Case 580 Super N).
    Many years I have used my loader bucket as a welding table. The manual gives an impossibly big procedure to prepare to weld on the machine. I've opted to not weld on it for fear of even more electronic problems.

If I were working on someone else's vehicle I'd avoid it. Even if you do no harm, you'll be blamed for any & all problems that might crop up in future.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were working on someone else's vehicle I'd avoid it. Even if you do no harm, you'll be blamed for any & all problems that might crop up in future
    5000 cars and trucks,, at least,, ,, never had that happen.

16. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well kind of. I have had 2 things over 40+ years and neither incident cost me. Owners involved with both. The one,,, Bud does a conversion and puts 350FI in a 74 wagon. He been working on it and decides he needs a frame patch right then and shows up juiced with another 12 or so, no big deal and I really look it over due to extensive work, no lines, no insulation, no wires, under but workable. I fix this and we even sit and BS, finally he blast off and about 10 mins on the phone, hey MF,,, ya burned my car up, was on fire as I pull in the drive, I run in for eext and got it out.
    I know for a fact I didnt miss this, I do, so I just drop it and next day,,, he calls back, shate,,, I forgot to tie up a harness and it fell on to the exhaust.
    Only other incident was with a plasma. Guy brings the gf car over, was olderm some chevy and had a failed or damaged door post/latch post, maybe it was rusted, dont recall now but we snip it, cut it fix it all up perfect except dipstick fits in in wrong spot and not sure why we didnt test it, dont recall but got all done and it is off so I pick up plas and gonna burn a circle around it and we will move it, no big deal. I cut a window thru the jamb, we had been working on it and had fire watched but fire must have went elsewhere this time and whoosh. Turned that 1/4 hot right now, we ext is fast but burn the paint off of it, half the side of the car.
    Was a good excuse to trade it. I was gonna paint it but they sold it the next day or 2 for a nicer one anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

So, I do some cripple steps to a couple for neighbors, to little older cars and while back the social serv people call and said, thats great, no one will do something like this,,, ha. I told her, with good reason, everyone scared of the liability and sorry I really wasnt looking to do these.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist