Thread: Welder for body work

Post Thanks / Like

Welder for body work

Looking to restore and older Chevrolet C10 (1965) and make it into a work truck. It is in fairly good shape, but the floor boards have to be replaced. I believe these are 18 g steel. I have a Lincoln AC/DC which says it can weld this thin metal, but I was wondering if it would need to get a mig? Is it possible to get good results with the stick, or am I out of luck?
    Last edited by TooNew; 08-13-2022 at 12:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder for body work

Quote Originally Posted by TooNew View Post
    Looking to restore and older Chevrolet C10 (1965) and make it into a work truck. It is in fairly good shape, but the floor boards have to be replaced. I believe these are 18 g steel. I have a Lincoln AC/DC which says it can weld this thin metal, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to get a mig? Thoughts?
    Yes, mig would be the way to go. There is a wire burns really smooth with C25 gas. It is ESAB/Allstate EasyGrind wire, the body man's best friend.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

3. Likes whtbaron, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Solid wire, gas shielded mig all the way man.

Here's a rust pile I mig welded floors in - enjoy
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...irs?highlight=
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

5. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welder for body work

Looking to restore and older Chevrolet C10

I was wondering if it would need to get a mig?
    Yes.
    MIG
    Solid wire (.023) with 75/25 gas.

If the next question was "can I use flux core?"

The answer is No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

7. Likes welding1, whtbaron, 455dan, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    If the next question was "can I use flux core?"

The answer is No.
    Why not? Car panels too thin for flux core? (Serious question...I'm not a wire feeder guy.)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 👍
    This is great place for solid.

Most my work was stick and fluxcore almost all of my work was over 16 gauge into plate and

Light gauge Solid wire MIG with gas easy to use and most can do a great job.

Dave

Looking to restore and older Chevrolet C10 (1965) and make it into a work truck. It is in fairly good shape, but the floor boards have to be replaced. I believe these are 18 g steel. I have a Lincoln AC/DC which says it can weld this thin metal, but I was wondering if it would need to get a mig? Is it possible to get good results with the stick, or am I out of luck?
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Solid wire, gas shielded mig all the way man.

Here's a rust pile I mig welded floors in - enjoy
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...irs?highlight=
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Yes, mig would be the way to go. There is a wire burns really smooth with C25 gas. It is ESAB/Allstate EasyGrind wire, the body man's best friend.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as your Lincoln has a CV mode you can just get a mig suitcase add on for it. I have the Miller one and it works great on my trailblazer.

Post Thanks / Like

Like JohnT said, .023 with 75/25. You can weld some real thin sheet metal. I use it do Chinese furniture repair and thats some thin a$$ $!ht...
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

The tubing Chinese is very thing like car sheet metal. It is hard to weld with any fluxcore.
    I use a torch with E70S-6 ore brazing rod.
    E70S 0.023 with C25 like John T will work too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by welding1 View Post
    Like JohnT said, .023 with 75/25. You can weld some real thin sheet metal. I use it do Chinese furniture repair and thats some thin a$$ $!ht...

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect time for a mig, can pay for it in one project on a car anymore. They can be turned down to near foil. Prolly 24 ga range, as thick as a matchbook which is .020 or so is I hate to use the word easy but not impossible. One thing, I have attacked a couple 3 floorboards, I have even stick weld a couple in. Restore, do a solid job is relative so to speak buit just cause they were thin in that spot when they made it doesnt mean its got to be that light when you repair it. Lots of body guys like to fancy themselves as welders and it aint so.
    I did a truck some time back and the mechanic helpr I had at the time was excelent protofitter sheet patch guy and did the blanks for me. They were all 1/3 bigger an he said, you cut to size and final fit, there is the blank and it was really easy. The stock I gave him was some thicker and some pieces/[;aces where post coating is possible or even isnt, some can be done pre, some access but some baches a lot thicker and stronger, makes for holding shapes well, makes it stronger, makes it a lot easier to seal weld.
    I need to get some pics, didnt do a lot of it as of later years but use a couiple techniuques seen in a couple places on the net but also instead of true butt weld often more of a plug from behind. The lap is really so slight that it becomes consumed and looks quite a bit lot like a root bead but without all the gap fill burn thru common on tru butts in light ga and really helps to hold shape as well as fluysh grinding and ending up with slight relief for body filler.
    Had one a while back said,,, its the best patch I ever bondo over, never got it proud cant be fixed with a little filler. Too high,, cant fix it, got to try to shrink, got to do a whole bunch instead of a skim in small spot is easy to finish to grade. When grinding the bead down dont have to grind flush to both pieces, only 1
    Last edited by Sberry; 08-19-2022 at 09:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

These are some poor pics. As I recall we didnt even finish that yellow one, was hidden and the white was a folded factory sea,, seems some bracket on the firewall rusted out and thru and we cut it off/out maybe and made a heavy patch, reweld it back in from other side and go around this and seal it , forgot some little boog to fix on the bottom weld but was all coated and matted again.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Sberry; 08-19-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you do this with flux,,, yes,,, but its not a fun job to start with and that makes it harder and so much harder to finish well.

16. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aside from the gas/no gas debate... one of the key pieces of advice that Shovelon gave you in his first post was "Easygrind".... pay attention... you don't want to be grinding hard wire smooth where you really don't want bondo...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

So,,, let's throw the new technology in autobody panel repairs into the mix

A lot of modern cars can't have that kind of welding done on body panels because the process takes too much strength out of it (the HAZ softens the thinner, stronger, heat treated sheetmetal). Body Shops today are Brazing these panels and pieces in with SilBz, spray/pulsed Migged, as required my the manufactures (and talk about EasyGrind!).

It's an interesting process that I have played-around with after getting a HTP PP220 last year. You leave a slight gap and the bronze will wet the backside, actually can make a bead back there, so the front can be ground flush. Now I know this doesn't apply to what the OP is doing, and most of us too,,, but it might be what the future holds (for whatever doesn't go to Aluminum....)

19. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think easy grind is pretty much a brand, start simple here and get your feet wet before buying and "researching" everything you can find on the net. It is confusing to the point of missing the basics.

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB Easy Grind is good stuff until you have to pay for it.
    I have never had an issue grinding, sanding or machining 70S6 wire.

Post Thanks / Like

We put floor pans in Richard’s Chevy truck a while back using 3/32 6013 rods it was fairly easy, came out sort & nice I ask him if he has any pictures
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14 Saw

Post Thanks / Like

We put floors pans in Richard s Chevy truck a little while back with 60133 rod# welded a short stictch the did di$ 5he oth3 side had some damp rags in th3 floor to Kees i5 cool. Ill @sk if his hots pictures
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14 Saw

Post Thanks / Like

Back 1960's most used brazing rod and a torch for vehicle repair sometimes E70S welding rod.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    We put floor pans in Richard’s Chevy truck a while back using 3/32 6013 rods it was fairly easy, came out sort & nice I ask him if he has any pictures

Post Thanks / Like

if you don't have a mig welder go beg, borrow or buy one. get one that has infinite adjustable voltage. 120 volt welder is the best option. more closely related to what are welding. .023-.025 solid wire and 75/25 gas. and practice. practice. practice. junkyard fender, cut apart into strips, clean ALL paint off, drill or punch holes 5/16-3/8 inch and use to practice plug welding. start in center of hole, weld to outside edge and around back to start. have fun!
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel