+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lack of slag?

Post Thanks / Like

lack of slag?

I'm in the process of building a welding table and pulled out the old stick welder for some of it. One thing I notice when using the stick welder is that I don't get much slag, and never get the big "peal". I typically use 3/16 6011. I'm guessing this is an indication of something I'm doing wrong/different. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lack of slag?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_J View Post
    I'm in the process of building a welding table and pulled out the old stick welder for some of it. One thing I notice when using the stick welder is that I don't get much slag, and never get the big "peal". I typically use 3/16 6011. I'm guessing this is an indication of something I'm doing wrong/different. Any ideas?

6010 / 6011 doesn't peel, 7018 is what your thinking when you think peel. There is a list of peelers and a list of clingers.
    you wont see a lot of slag with 6011.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ¼ Ton of Torches OFC-A/OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Lincoln Tomahawk 1000
    Ingersoll Rand T-30-14hp-25cfm
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

3. Likes Kpack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree.
    I typically grind the E6010/E6011 first pass before starting E7018 pass.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    6010 / 6011 doesn't peel, 7018 is what your thinking when you think peel. There is a list of peelers and a list of clingers.
    you wont see a lot of slag with 6011.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfectly normal.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! As you can tell, I'm still pretty new to the differences.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember that problem the time I used E6011 a long time ago.
    Try E7024 if lay it down in a fillet it make a weld but most welders can not use the rod.

Dave

Thanks guys! As you can tell, I'm still pretty new to the differences.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I remember that problem the time I used E6011 a long time ago.
    Try E7024 if lay it down in a fillet it make a weld but most welders can not use the rod.

Dave
    I don't understand, it doesn't get any easier than 7024 until you try it overhead or vertical, 7024 is a fantastic choice for flat & horizontal.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I don't understand, it doesn't get any easier than 7024 until you try it overhead or vertical, 7024 is a fantastic choice for flat & horizontal.
    Yeah, used a lot of the stuff on flat work, get the angle right to where it self-consumes and flip your hood up and chat with other people. When your knuckles hit the plate, start over. Groove joint of course or a fillet, a certain amount of feel comes into play.

10. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I once purchased 10Lbs of 1/8" 6011 from MSCdirect. It was their brand "Welders Choice" made in china. It was they only time using 6011 that it had as much slag as 6013, and smelt like burning leaves. I checked the box, and the rod was printed 6011, I thought about returning it, and got left outside in the rain so I just threw it out. The .045" dual shield wire I got from them ran fine (plenty of slag like its supposed to have), but generally 6011 has very little slag, and the little it does produce is difficult to remove, and is often hit with grinder, or power brush. 6011 3/16" ? You must have a really big welding table, I have never used 6011 over 5/32" that I can remember. What machine are you running it on ?

HTH
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

12. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    I once purchased 10Lbs of 1/8" 6011 from MSCdirect. It was their brand "Welders Choice" made in china. It was they only time using 6011 that it had as much slag as 6013, and smelt like burning leaves. I checked the box, and the rod was printed 6011, I thought about returning it, and got left outside in the rain so I just threw it out. The .045" dual shield wire I got from them ran fine (plenty of slag like its supposed to have), but generally 6011 has very little slag, and the little it does produce is difficult to remove, and is often hit with grinder, or power brush. 6011 3/16" ? You must have a really big welding table, I have never used 6011 over 5/32" that I can remember. What machine are you running it on ?

HTH
    I got some too. that crap sucks at low amps, I'm used to the white Murex 6011C and use a lot of it on irrigation repairs and can get a good weld all the way down to 70 amps with 1/8". The MSC stuff took at least 100 amps to burn steady. That don't work on toilet paper pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

I know but welders I hired could not use E7024 or E7018 they did go to school too. About rod they could use was E6011, E6013 and E7014 flat and horizontal only.

Any thing else I had to do.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post

HTH
    Sorry, my mistake...not sure what I was thinking, but it's 3/32" not 3 16"

16. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I know but welders I hired could not use E7024 or E7018 they did go to school too. About rod they could use was E6011, E6013 and E7014 flat and horizontal only.

Any thing else I had to do.

Dave
    I'm obviously not real welder, but can stick things together and run a rod half decent, but I can't for the life of me burn a 7018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm obviously not real welder, but can stick things together and run a rod half decent, but I can't for the life of me burn a 7018.
    Try it with a DC machine? Dialarc melts it like butter...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

E7018 is rod used for when the weld maybe X-ray. You need to heated the rod to 350°F it can for short time in a 10 pound heater at 250°F before welding. If do not the rod is no longer low hydrogen rod.
    It is a pain to use E7018 correctly.

I used for metal buildings being inspected and could be X-ray.

On this site it is challenging to weld with E7018 they think it stronger.

But most use A36 steel and E6013 or E7014 will do a great without per heating need.

In technical terms all rod needs to be per heat but not need on most work.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

E7018 or other low hydrogen rod if you do not heat the rod the H2O in flux will turn to a gas and leave bubbles in the welded. Making the welded like a perforated paper.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist