Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 94

Thread: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Trying to help out a customer - he's making some forklift toe kicks and I can get the steel just fine, but the supplier doesn't drill angle.

    I have an old 1/2" hand drill that'll do the job, but what's the best bit to use? Annular, hole saw, twist bit?

    I'm thinking 250/300 rpm with oil? Don't be shy about any and all suggestions.

    Thanks!
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfield,CT
    Posts
    1,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Annular cutter but you are not going to hold it with a hand drill unless you make a weldon to drill chuck adapter. If you do this make a pilot hole for the annular cutter pilot. Or find a friend with a Bridgeport, the annular cutters will fit in a 3/4" collet for what you are doing. Or rent a MAG drill.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Annular cutter but you are not going to hold it with a hand drill unless you make a weldon to drill chuck adapter. If you do this make a pilot hole for the annular cutter pilot. Or find a friend with a Bridgeport, the annular cutters will fit in a 3/4" collet for what you are doing. Or rent a MAG drill.
    what TJS said.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    If you only have a few holes to drill and your 1/2" drill motor is reliable and slow-speed, using twist bits in stages, maybe 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" and finally 1" (the last two being reduced-shank) would work, if you're careful and control pressure so it cuts but doesn't grab. If you had to buy all the bits, it might not be the cheapest. Are the holes for pins, bolts or something else and how close should they be to 1"?

    I don't have a business, but likely have bits I could use on my Bridgeport and could use a boring head to get off-size holes, if wanted.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Please post a photo of first and last hole drill using hand drill.

    They say a BP mill will drill a 3/4" maybe if you do it slowly 🐌 .
    I had drill press that was 3 hp and could drill a 1" hole.
    Today I use a 3/4" mag drill on top my welding table.

    Dave

    FYI I have had employees drill 1 holes they lasted about 3 holes then the drill motor spin them around until the cord unplug as run trying to plug.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    Trying to help out a customer - he's making some forklift toe kicks and I can get the steel just fine, but the supplier doesn't drill angle.

    I have an old 1/2" hand drill that'll do the job, but what's the best bit to use? Annular, hole saw, twist bit?

    I'm thinking 250/300 rpm with oil? Don't be shy about any and all suggestions.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by smithdoor; 08-16-2022 at 01:46 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Torch with a template.

    Otherwise, drill press or mag drill with holesaw or annular cutter. Hole is fine if can keep rpm’s low. Takes longer than annular but cheaper startup.

    Or find somebody to punch the holes.

  7. Likes farmersammm liked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Fairfield,CT
    Posts
    1,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Yup Smithdoor "they say", the they is me. I have done it, and yes it is true it works great.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post

    FYI I have had employees drill 1 holes they lasted about 3 holes then the drill motor spin them around until the cord unplug as run trying to plug.
    Yep. After the cord wraps around your arm , twist your arm and causes you to tighten your grip on the trigger. Hopefully it comes unplugged.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Yep. After the cord wraps around your arm , twist your arm and causes you to tighten your grip on the trigger. Hopefully it comes unplugged.
    most likely the wrist would be broken and the finger may OR may not tighten on the trigger.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    It was an old 1/2” black n decker drill. Hence, the sign I candle
    of 1/2” or a bit that will break more readily. I have never had a broken finger or wrist. However I was
    Younger. Pain and frustration, yes.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    No fun either way. IF you use a hand drill position yourself properly, grip the tool securely and consider the direction of rotation before you pull that trigger.


    Personally I would decline the job if I didnít have access to a mag drill.
    :

  13. Likes 12V71, BD1 liked this post
  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    6,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Sounds like the perfect opportunity to pick up a mag drill and an annular cutter. Otherwise I would look into bridge reamers or hole hawg type bits which are meant to enlarge a hole. Stepping up reamer or hawg sizes would enlarge the holes quickly without grabbing that a twist drill would.

  15. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  16. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    not to mention the smile on your face after effortlessly boring your first hole. Priceless.

    *maybe thatís just my hormones kicking in
    :

  17. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    8,087
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Name:  IMG_9940.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  141.0 KB

    Oh quit being such a bunch of pansies... we're here to torture metal. It's just black iron and it's "only" 3/4" thick. My biggest twist drill with the 1/2" shank is a 1 1/4". Until I got my drill presses maybe 15 yrs ago, my only options were the man-killer B-D or it's slightly heavier and uglier older brother, the 1/2" Sears. The process is quite simple. On the first squeeze of the trigger you let the handle swing around and hit you square in the gnads. After that, any damage to your arms or wrists will seem quite minimal. Be sure to use cutting lubricant and enough beer to keep the bits cool between holes with plenty of rest stops as you get into it. If I was in a hurry I kinda like the torch option though. I'd use a carbide burr in the die grinder to clean up the holes.

    Oh wait... you asked for the best option. Yea, let someone else with a boring machine do it...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  18. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
  19. #15
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    679
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    How many holes?

    Find someone with a 65 ton or bigger ironworker and they will make easy work of that. My 65 ton will just handle it. 1 1/16 in 3/4, but my 90 ton will do 1 1/4 in 1"

    If not, a mag drill is the way to go.

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    I don't know if this is common anymore but thought I'd throw out something I do. After torch cutting a hole as accurately as I can, I hammer a fine tapered drift into the hole while it's still hot. With a little touch up with a die grinder it can look like a punched hole. I have a drill press but for non-critical (read-jobs for myself), or awkward pieces, it's good enough.

  21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  22. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Quote Originally Posted by bakodiver View Post
    I don't know if this is common anymore but thought I'd throw out something I do. After torch cutting a hole as accurately as I can, I hammer a fine tapered drift into the hole while it's still hot. With a little touch up with a die grinder it can look like a punched hole. I have a drill press but for non-critical (read-jobs for myself), or awkward pieces, it's good enough.
    I like that idea


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Name:  IMG_9940.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  141.0 KB

    Oh quit being such a bunch of pansies... we're here to torture metal. It's just black iron and it's "only" 3/4" thick. My biggest twist drill with the 1/2" shank is a 1 1/4". Until I got my drill presses maybe 15 yrs ago, my only options were the man-killer B-D or it's slightly heavier and uglier older brother, the 1/2" Sears. The process is quite simple. On the first squeeze of the trigger you let the handle swing around and hit you square in the gnads. After that, any damage to your arms or wrists will seem quite minimal. Be sure to use cutting lubricant and enough beer to keep the bits cool between holes with plenty of rest stops as you get into it. If I was in a hurry I kinda like the torch option though. I'd use a carbide burr in the die grinder to clean up the holes.

    Oh wait... you asked for the best option. Yea, let someone else with a boring machine do it...
    This pansy got wrist pain just LOOKING at that drill


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  24. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, CAVEMANN, xmmancharl liked this post
  25. #19
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    8,087
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    It is hard to keep the big bits tight... I think that one is on it's 2nd or 3rd chuck...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  26. #20
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Yeah, No, NO, and Really NO!. Been there, done that. So many better options today. Mag drill, drill press, etc. The only way I make holes in truck frame is a pilot and step up with reamers. In plate it will be a mag drill using a pilot hole the size of the drill web. (I don't do enough to justify annulars)

  27. #21
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    8,087
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Oh easier methods have been around for years. This one dates back to 1947...

    Name:  zNjE@._V1_.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  50.3 KB

    Name:  zf92_hq.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  30.0 KB
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  28. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  29. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    More like body pain from betting that drill you give the operator maybe broken bones too.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    This pansy got wrist pain just LOOKING at that drill


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Name:  IMG_9940.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  141.0 KB

    Oh quit being such a bunch of pansies... we're here to torture metal. It's just black iron and it's "only" 3/4" thick. My biggest twist drill with the 1/2" shank is a 1 1/4". Until I got my drill presses maybe 15 yrs ago, my only options were the man-killer B-D or it's slightly heavier and uglier older brother, the 1/2" Sears. The process is quite simple. On the first squeeze of the trigger you let the handle swing around and hit you square in the gnads. After that, any damage to your arms or wrists will seem quite minimal. Be sure to use cutting lubricant and enough beer to keep the bits cool between holes with plenty of rest stops as you get into it. If I was in a hurry I kinda like the torch option though. I'd use a carbide burr in the die grinder to clean up the holes.

    Oh wait... you asked for the best option. Yea, let someone else with a boring machine do it...

  30. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    8,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Name:  IMG_9940.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  141.0 KB

    .
    that's gotta be the biggest ugliest hand drill i've ever seen
    :

  31. Likes 12V71, Freebirdwelds, CAVEMANN, whtbaron liked this post
  32. #24
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Thats just an early version of the B&D 1/2" rebranded for Sears. My big (Newer) B&D 1/2" is branded Craftsman. Main reason for buying it was the AC/DC rating. Got an old Souix brand 3/8" single speed from a garage sale for the same reason. No more SA200's so AC/DC is not an issue anymore.
    Oh, dont let your guys plug a battery charger or an expensive A/C vacuum pump into an SA either... Grrr.

  33. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
  34. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    AJO, ARIZONA
    Posts
    4,947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Best Drill Bit for 1" Diameter Hole in 6x6 Angle - 3/4 Thick

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    that's gotta be the biggest ugliest hand drill i've ever seen
    I had one that was uglier than that, I inherited it from Granddad, it was about that size and was geared down like crazy, seems like it would take 30 seconds to stop after releasing the trigger.

    NRA LIFE MEMBER

    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.Ē BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

  35. Likes whtbaron liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,665,100,338.99121 seconds with 14 queries