Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping moisture off of 7018

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping moisture off of 7018

Hello, I am seeking advice on how to keep moisture away from 7018 rods. I know a rod oven will work, but Im not so keen on having something plugged in 24/7. Are there any ways to temporarily keep 7018 dry, such as a case?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping moisture off of 7018

Seal them with a vacuum packer

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post

That's a great idea.

I'd probably throw in a handful of desiccant beads also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

4. Likes whtbaron, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Screw-top plastic tubes are sold for storing rods. One could be modified with fittings to allow evacuation, and for permanent storage, could then be filled with dry argon. Refrigeration evacuation pumps are ideal for such jobs, but both the household pumps and dry silica gel will work well.

6. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep my 7018 in one of those round plastic rod containers
    with the gasketed screw top. Not sure how much it really does,
    Moisture doesn’t seem to be a problem.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

8. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is in the AWS Data to heat the rod to 350F before welding.

It more of line work you doing to heat or not.

Building , pipe line any time some life maybe in danger you heat rod.

AG type work no heat if breaks it only reds face day or maybe buying new horse 🐎 too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    I keep my 7018 in one of those round plastic rod containers
    with the gasketed screw top. Not sure how much it really does,
    Moisture doesn’t seem to be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great now get pass AWS.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooNew View Post
    Hello, I am seeking advice on how to keep moisture away from 7018 rods. I know a rod oven will work, but I’m not so keen on having something plugged in 24/7. Are there any ways to temporarily keep 7018 dry, such as a case?
    Is this for code work or hobby welding? If it's for code work you would have a procedure to follow. The rods would likely be removed from the vacuum sealed can, and go into a rod oven. Each welder will have a portable tube....fill that from the oven, seal the top and head out to weld. The rods will have to be used within a certain time frame, or go back through a drying process that has to be followed to keep them compliant.

If it's hobby welding it doesn't matter at all. I have opened cans of 7018 that I've been using for the past few years and they weld fine and have zero issues. We get quite humid here, so they've been exposed to a lot of moisture in that time. Fresh, dry, heated rods start easier...that's about all the difference I see.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

12. Likes 12V71, Oscar, whtbaron, CAVEMANN, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    Screw-top plastic tubes are sold for storing rods. One could be modified with fittings to allow evacuation, and for permanent storage, could then be filled with dry argon. Refrigeration evacuation pumps are ideal for such jobs, but both the household pumps and dry silica gel will work well.
    You can do this and purchase the silica packets to throw in the tube to draw the moisture out.

14. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    You can do this and purchase the silica packets to throw in the tube to draw the moisture out.
    As has been said here before, I think the coating on the 7018 is a stronger desiccant than silica gel. In other words, the rod coating will "dry out" the silica gel, not vice-versa.

Pretty sure silica gel won't keep dry rod dry, let alone draw moisture out of it. Otherwise people wouldn't spend big money on heated rod keepers.

OP, unless you're doing code work, I wouldn't worry about it. Dry or not, 7018 still has many benefits over other fillers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    As has been said here before, I think the coating on the 7018 is a stronger desiccant than silica gel. In other words, the rod coating will "dry out" the silica gel, not vice-versa.

Pretty sure silica gel won't keep dry rod dry, let alone draw moisture out of it. Otherwise people wouldn't spend big money on heated rod keepers.

OP, unless you're doing code work, I wouldn't worry about it. Dry or not, 7018 still has many benefits over other fillers.
    The affinity of silica gel varies with its state of dryness. It's been a long time since I've seen data on that and I never studied data for 7018 rod (or how it might vary between manufacturer) but I still believe very dry gel would be useful. In a situation where code-quality dryness was required due to the chemistry of the steel being welded but where ovens were impossible, calcium carbide would work by chemically reacting with the moisture.

Also,a high vacuum will greatly lower the temperature needed to dehydrate rod in an oven. Carried to its extreme with organic compounds (including wet documents), it's called Freeze Drying.

Post Thanks / Like

For longer term storage, rather than spend the $ to buy a commercial rod oven, you can build your own by taking an old dorm sized refrigerator and adding a lamp socket inside. A 60 watt incandescent bulb will keep the temp high enough so that humidity is not a problem.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

18. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    For longer term storage, rather than spend the $ to buy a commercial rod oven, you can build your own by taking an old dorm sized refrigerator and adding a lamp socket inside. A 60 watt incandescent bulb will keep the temp high enough so that humidity is not a problem.
    Maybe for a hobbyist but not for code work, according to this, 7018 needs to be stored at 250-450F. I don't think a light bulb is gonna get it that hot, and if it does, the plastic fridge liner will probably melt or burn...

20. Likes shortfuse, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

as mentioned by others i also keep opened cartons of welding rod in plastic rod storage containers with the gasketed cap. they do the job and are usually less than $10 each

7018s i keep in a rod oven. i am strictly a hobbyist and as such do no code work.

i prefer using 7018s hot as they seem to strike and run nicer

:

22. Likes Meltedmetal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    I've been thinking about this... even have a dead bar fridge sitting here waiting for the job. It might get built some day or I might even break the piggy bank for a small oven to hold 10 lbs at a time. Nobody seems to worry about how long they sit on the store shelf with nothing but shrink wrap. Maybe they need color coded tags and "best before " dates like milk.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I’m not the only one to have liberated a weather tight
    operator manual holder for use as an electrode case. Mine
    came off a light tower. Manual was long since gone.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    Looks like Im not the only one to have liberated a weather tight
    operator manual holder for use as an electrode case. Mine
    came off a light tower. Manual was long since gone.
    mine came with a farm implement.

real men don't ask for (or take) direction and don't RTFM
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I've been thinking about this... even have a dead bar fridge sitting here waiting for the job. It might get built some day or I might even break the piggy bank for a small oven to hold 10 lbs at a time. .
    holy crap

i had no idea how much the 10 pounder costs now.

check ebay. i got my 50 # "scratch and dent" new in box with warranty for $150 cdn

btw. the small phoenix 10# is preferred over the Lincoln
    :

27. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did a quick search around Amazon.... cheap Chinese start around $200 Cdn and I've seen the small Lincoln anywhere from $400 to $800. Something similar to yours looks to be around $1200. For what I do, the lightbulb in the fridge is looking better all the time...

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Did a quick search around Amazon.... cheap Chinese start around $200 Cdn and I've seen the small Lincoln anywhere from $400 to $800. Something similar to yours looks to be around $1200. For what I do, the lightbulb in the fridge is looking better all the time...
    just a few years back i saw 10# lincoln ovens at PA for (i think) well under $200cdn

edit. just took a quick look. lots on ebay

if i didn't already have an oven i would just buy small packs and store in plastic rod containers.
    Last edited by Lis2323; 08-18-2022 at 08:18 PM.
    :

30. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have non-sealed plastic containers for most of them... when I'm not using them I seal the joint with tape. The heated fridge would just be extra assurance. I haven't had any moisture probs with the rods since I moved to the heated shop.

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I personally believe the moisture issue with 7018 is over hyped. I used to keep them in a rod oven or at least bake them the night before. I worked for a marine construction company and they never did anything I saw cans of 7018 left outside on a barge for days open and other then getting rained on no one seemed concerned. Now if your doing code work or welding at a nuclear power plant then you should keep them in an oven. But we never had any issues with weld failure or hydrogen cracking of welds or heat effected zones, this included some really high stress stuff like welding an excavator boom back together, ect. In my opinion I wouldnt worry about moisture on 7018 keep them out of the rain and they will be fine a 50lb can of 7018 isnt going to last more than a week or two at most just open one can at a time store them inside and you should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I use old surplus military ammo boxes and equipment containers for lots of things, electrodes included. A smaller one has a quart size Gorilla Glue container that's about half used, a few years old, and the glue is still about as thin as when new. A quick search of Ebay found an ad [Here] with the box pictured below which I have at least a dozen of, mine all in better shape. The 20mm ammo cans are an ideal size for storing electrodes.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-08-18 at 17-45-48 Vintage LARGE Metal Military Storage Box Crate eBay.png
Views: 144
Size:  313.8 KB

I have a pair of much larger (~23"x25"x16" ) Korean War (?) era Radio equipment boxes with some corrosion damage. I need to sandblast, repaint and repair both but being made of magnesium, I think fiberglass will have to do since I have no reasonable access to sheet magnesium or appropriate rods, and back-shielding would be a pain to set up. I don't even have a real need for them or a great place to store them...but they were free at a city metal recycling site some years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooNew View Post
    Hello, I am seeking advice on how to keep moisture away from 7018 rods. I know a rod oven will work, but I’m not so keen on having something plugged in 24/7. Are there any ways to temporarily keep 7018 dry, such as a case?

I wouldn't bother. If you aren't going to keep them in the original hermetically sealed cans or a rod oven, then virtually nothing else you are going to do will help them maintain their low hydrogen properties. Not refrigerators, not desiccants, not vacuum packing them. Once they are no longer low hydrogen, just store them with the rest of your welding rods. Keep a couple of hermetically sealed 5 lb cans of rods on hands for your absolutely most critical jobs, and for the rest, just use the open 7018s I usually just pop the plastic cap back on the can and call it good.
    Miller Multimatic 255

35. Likes CAVEMANN, G-ManBart, StandarDyne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is pricey.
    You need for some types of work.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    holy crap

i had no idea how much the 10 pounder costs now.

check ebay. i got my 50 # "scratch and dent" new in box with warranty for $150 cdn

btw. the small phoenix 10# is preferred over the Lincoln