+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dialarc 250 AC/DC fried?

Post Thanks / Like

Dialarc 250 AC/DC fried?

Greetings,

I purchased on old (mid-80s) Dialarc 250 AC/DC (no HF) stick welder about a year ago on bookface. The machine worked just fine but I hate the plug type receptacles and wanted to convert it to Dinse-type in order to be able to use the a common set of leads between machines. When I opened the box up, I noticed that the rheostat was in less than great shape and could see the play between the dial and the arm on the rheostat so I decided to replace that as well. I could feel it giving a little bit previously when changing amperage but this was the first time that I'd seen it. I found a replacement 15-Ohm 150-watt rheostat to replace it and bought a new dial as well for good measure. I changed out the plugs for new Dinse-type terminals and changed out the rheostat and dial and fired it up. The machine fan started just fine, like it always has, but when I tried to start an arc to test it out, I heard a very quiet <click> and then the fan shut down. There was also the slightest smell of ozone, but no flashes, no smoke, nothing else. I checked the terminal cables and they weren't touching. I know that I hooked the rheostat up correctly because I went directly from removing one wire from the old rheostat to replacing it on the new one. Nothing was cross-wired, nothing else was done to the machine.

My question is, based on this very admittedly limited information from a neophyte welder repairman, what are the chances that I've fried a board or something similarly expensive? I didn't pay much for the welder and am really not interested in dropping hundreds of dollars in repair costs if it can even be repaired, but I would like to have it operational again. Any idea how expensive it is to have somebody even look at an old dinosaur machine like this one? I love the thing and am hoping that it can be fixed. Something about the ungodly heavy transformer machines just appeals to me.

Anyway, thanks for your time!
    Last edited by robo93; 08-28-2022 at 07:08 PM.
    Lincoln 305 LPG
    Lincoln Power MIG 260
    Miller Dialarc AC/DC
    Primeweld TIG 225
    Forney 180ST
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    Primeweld Cut-50DP

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist