Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best brand of welding electrode

Post Thanks / Like

Re: best brand of welding electrode

What about Hobart?

2. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, definitely add Hobart to the list. That's what's sold at Tractor Supply.

Another one you might wanna try is "US Forge". That's what they sell at Argri-Supply. A big farm store down here (VA, Carolinas, Georgia)

Here's a link to US Forge 1/8" 7018 https://www.agrisupply.com/welding-rod-package/p/12209/

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 09-07-2022 at 05:39 PM.
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

4. Likes albrightree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, I think I can pick up a box of Hobart E7018 this weekend.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

6. Likes 52 Ford, precivilization liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    A box is only 5lbs. You aught to be able to get it. Just make sure to lift with your legs.

8. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Lincoln personally, I wouldn’t buy rod or anything else welding related from Amazon myself brand name stuff tends to actually be cheaper at the local welding supply. Sure Amazon has off brand stuff bought some tungsten from them I threw the whole package away (wouldn’t hold a point for long we’re talking having to sharpen it every 5 minute bad) horrible stuff! I also bought a stubby gas lens kit the quality was horrible collets were so bad they didn’t last 5 minutes before they wouldn’t hold the tungsten, gas lenses needed twice the CFH as a name brand, back caps warped on a water cooled torch, the list goes on. I find the saying “a good tool only hurts once” to hold true.

Post Thanks / Like

Oscar...Im not sure how much more you want to put into this but there is 2 brands pretty common around here...Inweld and Victory. Victory was started by one of the original partners at Inweld and I guess he and the other partners got into a tiff or something.

Joe gets these rods from somewhere I know it aint any of the weld suppliers around here but he orders a couple hundred pds evry 2 or 3 months. He gets the Victory rods now but he was gettin the Inweld rods before Victory came out. I dont know if he gets em off the innernet or what..if you want me to I can ask him when I get to see him. Most evryone I know seems to be happy with them...I know they work fine for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    Oscar...Im not sure how much more you want to put into this but there is 2 brands pretty common around here...Inweld and Victory. Victory was started by one of the original partners at Inweld and I guess he and the other partners got into a tiff or something.

Joe gets these rods from somewhere I know it aint any of the weld suppliers around here but he orders a couple hundred pds evry 2 or 3 months. He gets the Victory rods now but he was gettin the Inweld rods before Victory came out. I dont know if he gets em off the innernet or what..if you want me to I can ask him when I get to see him. Most evryone I know seems to be happy with them...I know they work fine for me.
    Not much more. Not gonna scour the earth for 5 years to get every single one, just using what I have and already know how to get. Besides, this test would be meaningless to you and Joe, according to your post.

Find a rod what works for you and keep getting them or do like I do use what you can get and deal with it

Post Thanks / Like

Jody at Weldingtipsandtricks.com did a shoot out of the Lincoln Excalibur 7018 vs the Hobart 7018 from TSC. Oscar you may want to watch that first to see how he tested.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Not much more. Not gonna scour the earth for 5 years to get every single one, just using what I have and already know how to get. Besides, this test would be meaningless to you and Joe, according to your post.
    Good point there but it would make for some intresting reading. Doin a shootout test like that could get pretty expensive as well which is why I said I didnt know how much more you wanted to get into it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Jody at Weldingtipsandtricks.com did a shoot out of the Lincoln Excalibur 7018 vs the Hobart 7018 from TSC. Oscar you may want to watch that first to see how he tested.
    Good call, it hadn't come to mind. I'll check it out to see what he did.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for keeping this going. Just this week I had a project that used a couple of pounds of 7018. I used Lincoln rod that I had in my sealed container. The original package had been opened at least a year ago. All unused rod was put in the container with an o-ring seal at that time. The rod seemed fine. No porosity at the start of the bead. smooth easy starts. This was not code work, and did not require any type of inspection. It just needed to be a solid connection.
    I few years ago, I would have made the weld, and not given it a second thought. Now, this thread was in my mind, and I considered throwing out the old rod, and opening a new sealed box. In the end, I just used the old rod, and it was fine.

With the money I saved not using a new box of rods, I would like to offer support to this project. Oscar, how can I help?
    Can I send you boxes of rod to test?
    Geoff

16. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToolFanGeoff View Post
    Thank you for keeping this going. Just this week I had a project that used a couple of pounds of 7018. I used Lincoln rod that I had in my sealed container. The original package had been opened at least a year ago. All unused rod was put in the container with an o-ring seal at that time. The rod seemed fine. No porosity at the start of the bead. smooth easy starts. This was not code work, and did not require any type of inspection. It just needed to be a solid connection.
    I few years ago, I would have made the weld, and not given it a second thought. Now, this thread was in my mind, and I considered throwing out the old rod, and opening a new sealed box. In the end, I just used the old rod, and it was fine.

With the money I saved not using a new box of rods, I would like to offer support to this project. Oscar, how can I help?
    Can I send you boxes of rod to test?
    Geoff
    Thanks Geoff, but I already have Excalibur 7018 and Lincoln 7018AC from home depot, so I think I have the Lincoln corner covered. Unless you mean sending me some rods other than the ones I already have listed? If so, which ones ya got?
    Last edited by Oscar; 09-17-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oscar,
    If you are going to go to the effort of running the test, do you think it would be interesting to try some other available options?
    Hobart? Forney? US Forge? Weldcote? Other?
    Just making the offer.
    Geoff

Post Thanks / Like

I think so. I picked up a 5lb box of Hobart, so I have those. If you wanna send some rods of those other 3 I could include them in the tests. Remember, I'm only testing 3/32" rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    it would make for some intresting reading.
    I agree. Send me a few pounds of 3/32" and I'll add them in to the mix

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Another one you might wanna try is "US Forge". That's what they sell at Argri-Supply. A big farm store down here (VA, Carolinas, Georgia)

Here's a link to US Forge 1/8" 7018 https://www.agrisupply.com/welding-rod-package/p/12209/

Send me a few pounds of 3/32" (that's the size I plan to test) and I'll add them to the mix.

While y'all are at it, y'all can also send me some:

McKay
    Radnor
    Longevity
    Anchor
    Hyweld
    Forney
    Harris
    Techniweld
    Westward
    Sumy-Electrode
    Blackstone
    Unifil
    WeldingCity
    HotMax

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Send me a few pounds of 3/32" and I'll add them in to the mix

Send me a few pounds of 3/32" (that's the size I plan to test) and I'll add them to the mix.

While y'all are at it, y'all can also send me some:

McKay
    Radnor
    Longevity
    Anchor
    Hyweld
    Forney
    Harris
    Techniweld
    Westward
    Sumy-Electrode
    Blackstone
    Unifil
    WeldingCity
    HotMax

Sure...send me your adress and I will bundle up a pack of the Victory and a pack of the Inweld and send them to you.

Popeye

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a can of 3/32 7018 on ebay that is absolute murder to run. It sticks, then when you try to shake the electrode to break it loose, all the flux breaks off the stick where it bent. I should send you some of those...they're all but useless to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent you my address, check PM's.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is wet or got wet.
    Try backing in a oven at 350° for few hours.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    I bought a can of 3/32 7018 on ebay that is absolute murder to run. It sticks, then when you try to shake the electrode to break it loose, all the flux breaks off the stick where it bent. I should send you some of those...they're all but useless to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    The problem is wet or got wet. Try backing in a oven at 350° for few hours.
    It's been that way since the moment I unsealed the can. I think it's some kind of oddball rod. Lincoln Electric EDM13182833 Murex B7018 MR

Post Thanks / Like

Low hydrogen will pick water from air.
    Also shop will sell there old rod even seal if they out of date.
    Myself I old purchased new rod and if out date I use rod on AG work only.

Low hydrogen rod is a pain to use for most work. It is limited type of work that needs this type rod.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by StandarDyne View Post
    It's been that way since the moment I unsealed the can. I think it's some kind of oddball rod. Lincoln Electric EDM13182833 Murex B7018 MR

Post Thanks / Like

For Stainless Steel rods, I have always been happy with the way "McKay" electrodes :

Name:  McKayAd.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  141.8 KB

Name:  Mckayspec.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  167.6 KB

They've been around a while, and seem to have been bought out by Hobart, but they still offer their brand at Grainger.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

You should test some Aussie rods too... to see if they swirl in the opposite direction...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

30. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    You should test some Aussie rods too... to see if they swirl in the opposite direction...
    LOL I see what ya did there

I wonder... MAYBE they'll suck welds back up, since we're using them upside down.

I think it's kinda like how we send American vehicles down under and they ended up having to drive them from the passenger seat.

Edit: I thought about it for a second... Maybe you have to run reverse polarity.
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 09-18-2022 at 10:16 PM.

32. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Low hydrogen will pick water from air.
    Also shop will sell there old rod even seal if they out of date.
    Myself I old purchased new rod and if out date I use rod on AG work only.

Low hydrogen rod is a pain to use for most work. It is limited type of work that needs this type rod.

Dave
    Dave I have to disagree with you about lo-hydrogen rods bein a pain to use. In my opinion lo-hydrogen rods are the easiest thing to use...to me its like spreadin butter on a piece of toast.

Years ago when I was runnin my first rig an old boy bought tons of 7018 rods from a job. I believe he said they were leftovers from a power company down near Philadelphia PA. the brand name was Uni-weld. He had them stored in big wooden potata bins in a barn in the woods. Nothing fancy to keep em dry just the way they were wrapped in the packs they came in, all that was a plastic wrap and some thin brown paper or cardboard. I would buy 300 pds of these rod evy 2 weeks from 3/32 up to 5/32. They were some of the smoothest rod i ever used and all I did was keep them in my truck...I would open them up and stick 50 pounds in a tin can that the Lincoln rods came in. I bought 3/16 and 1/4 inch lincoln rods from what used to be Seiler Welding Supply which is now owned by Linde...used to be Praxair. The Uni-weld rods ran smoother than the Lincoln rods...I think the Lincoln rods were the Code Arc variety they carried...they ran like butter too but not quite as smooth as the Uni-weld rods...but then again they were bigger rods maybe that had somethin to do with it. I was using my old Pipeliners that I put together from scratch and those weldin machines ran anything I wanted to run like butter.

But as I said in my opinion Lo-hydrogen is the easiest...at least for me and I dont take any special precautions about dry rods unless its a busted boom like thisName:  25508169_1565043633573184_1156640044785194544_n.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  106.3 KBThen i have some portable rod ovens that I use.

Oscar...I am goin to see if they have any of those Uni-weld left...if they do I will send some of them along with the Inweld and Victory rods. If all they have left is 1/8" would you like me to send a pack of them along as well?
    Last edited by old miner called Pop; 09-19-2022 at 10:44 AM.

34. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist