Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: exhaust repair

Post Thanks / Like

Re: exhaust repair

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Makes it easier for sure. I had one on the rack the other day and well fit, was getting ready to weld it up when a young sprout came in and started telling me everything he knew about it. I put about inch on, had it solid and set and said here,,,, dam, he did a flawless job and does know,,, ha.. He weld about an inch or 2, I had it tasty and he kept right up, I walked away.
    well it makes me the welder I fanatasize being,
    heres the result of the first run out of the box, not knowing what dial does what, its passable for me.
    Diealed it down as low as I could, the machine still said 80 amps, maybe thats because its flux core.
    Supposedly it goes down to 30 amp.
    I bought .30 wire but machine automatically set to 35. Can't select 30 wire on the machine, maybe it can only do that on gas.
    I bought some tweeco style copper tips but the wire will not pass through, so I drilled the tip out enough to allow the wire through.
    30 wire, 30 tip and it will not pass through, whats up ?

Anyway this is what I got first try on slip joint exh pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s not pretty, but it looks like it will do the job. Nobody but you is going to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Clean and go over it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley256 View Post
    It’s not pretty, but it looks like it will do the job. Nobody but you is going to see it.
    exactly, I tried a butt joint, continuous spot welds around the pipe, then a bead over the top, looks awful but , solid with no holes.
    Nice to know I can manage butt joints if I have to go that route.
    Heading over to napa to grab some more exh couplers to practice on.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the ears on my muffler flange rusted away,
    I cut it off and tried building it back with stacked welds, then shaped it with the grinder, I wonder if this type of weld will hold up.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

No. gobs and berries have no strength, more importantly they won't seal exhaust gases in.
    Get some flat stuff and practice running beads.

7. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
    One of the ears on my muffler flange rusted away,
    I cut it off and tried building it back with stacked welds, then shaped it with the grinder, I wonder if this type of weld will hold up.
    That weld isn't good enough for exhaust work.

For a flux core wire weld like that, I'm going to call the weld in the first pic I attached bare minimim. Not PRETTY, but a solid weld with no low spots.

What I recommend is tacking the pipe in 3 or 4 places, then start stacking short welds or tacks to finish welding out the pipe.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quite sure I'm running the second pass too cold, I tack all the way around at 80 amp and it pops loud and produces lots of berries all over the pipe.
    Second pass , a continuous bead, runs a lot smoother above 100 amps, I cranked it up full ( 120v) to 150 amps and it runs very smooth, more of a hiss than water in a fryolator.

I am getting a 10lb spool of flux core today and I grabbed a bunch of old exhaust pipe from a dumpster.

Post Thanks / Like

not knowing what dial does what]
    I think you're trying to go too fast (and I don't mean on the weld ) and even though those are practice pieces, it seems that you want to skip the whole 'learning how to weld" process and just weld and shrug off the improper welds because you're not sure of things. Why? There's literally thousands of welders here from all walks that can help you dial in your machine and guide you to produce sounds welds well before you venture into round tube/pipe, which is arguably the most difficult joint to weld out properly. Why not post what machine you purchased? For all we know it is set-up incorrectly on every step of the way, and then when you ask for help, it will be very difficult to diagnose unless you properly understand just how much can go wrong with a wire-feed machine.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

11. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, this is a hard place to learn. In place, not perfect but will easily hold shelled corn.
    As I recall that was a flanged bolted connection, seems I thought of something easier after its been a while. I fix some, I remove some, depending on where and what.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Sberry; 6 Days Ago at 10:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Reply outdated.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 6 Days Ago at 11:57 AM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe start looking for a bottle of gas.

Is your polarity set for flux core ?

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a yeswelder MIG 205DS
    All I do is dial in the metal thickness, it sets everything up to weld, wire speed has no speed adjustment.
    Using .030 flux wire at 80 amps for tack welding and increasing amps to run a bead over the tack.
    I just installed a big spool of the yeswelder wire which has less spatter, they say.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll check polarity again.
    I have a tank but its argon from my old tig machine which blew up 2 weeks ago,decided to go back to mig .
    I'd like to stay simple with flux core.

Post Thanks / Like

It says fluxcore runs DCEN,
    so the gun is in neg and the ground clamp is on POS.
    Its spatter city.

I have a tank of argon I bought from airgas in boston 10 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

All I do is dial in the metal thickness, it sets everything up to weld, wire speed has no speed adjustment.
    Using .030 flux wire at 80 amps for tack welding and increasing amps to run a bead over the tack.
    I just installed a big spool of the yeswelder wire which has less spatter, they say.
    You must be able to switch to manual mode and adjust the wire speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    I just checked the Yeswelder website. That machine does indeed have a manual wire feed adjustment.

Not to get off topic, but IMO people should start out with the basics then only get into fancy stuff like synergic functions after you have a firm understanding of what you're doing.

It's like a kid's first car having all that self driving, auto braking, lane keeping crap. Sure, they can still learn to be a good driver, but it's going to take WAY longer than if they started out with a normal car.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

20. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't trust anything from that brand.

https://www.youtube.com/c/bigtb1717/videos

Those 80A are probably more like 40A.
    Last edited by Oscar; 6 Days Ago at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    There is no speed adjustment.
    Wire feed is not wire speed.

I'm quite sure the problem is elsewhere, I'm going to change the ground cable and swap in a new tip.

Post Thanks / Like

oops, sid that already.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about that machine but if wire feed is not speed what is it? It has to have adjustment.
    It might cost me a clutch but got couple kids learning on stick shift
    Last edited by Sberry; 6 Days Ago at 08:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So I tried everything today, just for giggles I hooked it up backwards .
    I plugged the ground in negative and the gun in positive.
    there is next to no spatter or BB's.

tried it both ways ,

the correct polarity produces tons of hard spatterand soot and hardly any bead, its not depositing hardly any metal, very flat bead.

But the wrong polarity Ground connected to NEG runs smoother, hardly any BB's and a bead 3 times bigger.

I took a short video, the first run was connected properly with ground in POS. Very bad spatter, hardly any bead profile, very flat.
    second run , hooked up backwards, seems to run a lot smoother with far better result.

are my observations correct?
    It seems the first bead was much more "violent".

Last edited by jonesg; 5 Days Ago at 05:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of these cheap sub-par machines have been found to have the polarities reversed, and I'm starting to think its intentional. Do you have a basic multi-meter to check for DC voltage?

Also, we need to work on your technique for holding/bracing.

And a million thanks for going through the trouble of posting a vid when some can't even produce a picture.
    Last edited by Oscar; 5 Days Ago at 06:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a digital meter for my auto repairs.... but don't actually know how to use it .
    I've only used it to read battery voltage.
    you could say I"ve got all the gear but no idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Jonesey, I normally don't get involved in threads like this, but in this case I believe I must. You're going to get great technical help from the other guys so I won't add to that.
    I just wanted to tell you that you're gonna die pretty soon. Unless you get real and clean up your act, big time. I know at your stage in life you don't want to upgrade your whole garage, but there is plenty you can do without investment and some things there are no excuses for if you're gonna start welding. Here goes for some advice:
    1. PPE (personal protective equipment) your body should be covered fully by flame retardant clothing - cotton or wool. Cotton is best. That includes arms, hands, chest, neck, head. Serious UV burns will result otherwise in mere seconds. Welding gloves are a must, don't get fooled by idiots on youtube welding without protection, that's just dum.
    2. Don't weld on wood surfaces. If you don't want to upgrade, at least lay some sheet metal on the bench.
    3. You've got a gas bottle under the bench where you're welding!!! Move it and all flammable fluids well away from the welding area.
    4. Work clean. You've got crap everywhere on the bench and on the floor, you'll trip over and hit your head.
    5. Do all the above first, then start welding.

If you don't want to engage in the above, please show your missus how to get onto this forum so she can let us know when you've selected yourself for extinction (hopefully you won't blow her up too in the act.)

29. Likes 12V71 liked this post