Thread: Problems with the Cutmaster 60i Plasma Cutter?

Post Thanks / Like

Problems with the Cutmaster 60i Plasma Cutter?

I'm brand new to Plasma Cutters, so please bear with me. I've been looking for a machine that's fully capable of making clean hand-held cuts through 3/4" steel and, on occasion, making lower-quality cuts through 1" steel. Long story short, this has lead me to add the Cutmaster 60i to my list of potential candidates. Unfortunately, I've read some negative feedback about this particular machine -- including one fellow calling it a "3K Dollar Paperweight."

I realize that this particular forum board is sponsored by ESAB, but an open forum is exactly that, so I thought that I'd come here and ask for some honest thoughts about the reliability of this product. Any thoughts from those of you who've had experience with this plasma cutter, especially from those who've owned/used one for a while, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly for your time.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problems with the Cutmaster 60i Plasma Cutter?

My machine has been good to me. I had issues with the torch handle and consumables causing error codes. Luckily I have two torch handles so it was easy to diagnose and solve the problem for me. Others have had similar issues with contacts not being met in the torch handle, lead and connector at the machine and after several different trips to the repair shop had given up on the unit for good reason. So far my machine is still working good after a couple of years of very light use. Your mileage may vary.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I had 4 of them. (Amazon deals. Traded 2, and sold one.. All working so far.. Two were 3 phase units, and I run it off of my 15 hp rotary with zero issues. The one I sold has seen as tough a life as you could find.. Guy fixes large Production saw mills. He has it on his CNC table now. You get 4 years warranty, so if used hard it should pay for itself..I know the guy with fixing the wood mills told me it paided him back right away. (Tons of Gouging) It a great machine there.

Never liked the quick release torch handle and use the standard SL-60 on mine.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal LM-200/ Lincoln feeders
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    My machine has been good to me. I had issues with the torch handle and consumables causing error codes. Luckily I have two torch handles so it was easy to diagnose and solve the problem for me. Others have had similar issues with contacts not being met in the torch handle, lead and connector at the machine and after several different trips to the repair shop had given up on the unit for good reason. So far my machine is still working good after a couple of years of very light use. Your mileage may vary.
    I watched a YT video earlier today that was made -- by ESAB -- in September of 2021. In said video, the guy made it clear that he was using a 60i that had been modified, so he called it a 60iX. Apparently, the contacts in the gun had been modified in some way, so the "X" represents a revision. Is your 60i older than that? Were the issues with your 60i resolved by ESAB to your satisfaction?

Thank you kindly for your assistance

Here's the video I'm referring to:
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

No I got the standard 60i Amazon deal Brand X posted a few months before Thermal Dynamics released the 60ix model. So no real world experiance with the 60ix machine or upgraded 60% better life consumables.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    No I got the standard 60i Amazon deal Brand X posted a few months before Thermal Dynamics released the 60ix model. So no real world experiance with the 60ix machine or upgraded 60% better life consumables.
    The 3 phase standard model has more punch in the area of Piercing .I suspect the X model is similar to my 3 phase unit.. For the $400 I paid ,not going to pull the trigger on the X. shoot I would of just kept my original 151 at 100 amps or the A-120 That said, my 151 is used everyday very hard in a Marine repair shop. It gets more use than his Hypertherm 85 . Maybe a used cutmaster 82 might fit the bill well? Pretty even with a Hypertherm 65 in real output..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal LM-200/ Lincoln feeders
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

7. Likes N2 Welding liked this post