+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plasma cutting along a drawn line?

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma cutting along a drawn line?

I realize that this isn't technically a welding question, but I couldn't find the perfect forum board, so here goes...

Has anyone ever hand cut along a drawn line using a plasma cutter? ...and, if you have, what did you use to draw the lines with?

I've never used a plasma cutter before, but I understand that the light emitted during the cutting process is super bright; hence, my question.
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plasma cutting along a drawn line?

Quote Originally Posted by HandLogger View Post
    I realize that this isn't technically a welding question, but I couldn't find the perfect forum board, so here goes...

Has anyone ever hand cut along a drawn line using a plasma cutter? ...and, if you have, what did you use to draw the lines with?

I've never used a plasma cutter before, but I understand that the light emitted during the cutting process is super bright; hence, my question.
    Paint markers and Sharpies.

For most cuts, you're going to be a lot better off using a guide. Figure out how far to offset your guide.

Make sure you wear some shade 5 or darker goggles. https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en/products/k4708-1 mine are similar to these. You might want a darker shade, though.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about using a guide when making long straight cuts, but sometimes, such as when cutting curves, a guide would be hard to make or to use. If one knows the system/torch and doesn't have to vary speed or stand-off distance to keep from loosing the cut, once started, the jet doesn't need to be watched. Keep the head behind the torch so the side of the tip follows the line, allowing for how much off-center the side is if not going straight left or right. Reflected/refracted light will generally be enough to see a well-scribed or a white (or aluminum) marker line on the workpiece. If the metal is too shinny, first coat it with Dykem. I can't remember when I haven't used my old shade 5 gas welding goggles when plasma cutting, although I must have used a hood a time or two when I wanted to use reading glasses for better vision.

Another important point: don't ever get old and shaky; the plasma torch accentuates such movement.

Last edited by Oldiron2; 09-11-2022 at 01:42 AM.

4. Likes 12V71, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do most cuts by hand, its almost instinct after torch for so long. Sometimes I hide the arc, usually use safety glasses, dark is fine. The light is bright but the current is low and l do watch it if I am trying to be really accurate. Also do use some guides, mostly paint stick of yardsticks and cut holes with saw in some luan for rounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Sberry; 09-11-2022 at 07:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use Silver Streaks or Silver Pencils. They light up very well from the plasma arc or torch flame.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    I like to use Silver Streaks or Silver Pencils. They light up very well from the plasma arc or torch flame.
    I love the line, but man are they way too soft and break easily. I was hoping the silver pencils were going to have a tougher silver center compared to the mechanical feeder pencil with the individual leads, but nope. The were pretty bad IMO. I'll just stick to the mechanical pencil and soapstone as well.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Depending of cut amps, shade 3 can be used also.. It can help with seeing the line on sheet metal. Drag tips also play a roll in keeping the arc below the plate..I normally wear #5 for standoff cutting, or CNC cutting.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Paint markers and Sharpies.

For most cuts, you're going to be a lot better off using a guide. Figure out how far to offset your guide.

Make sure you wear some shade 5 or darker goggles. https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en/products/k4708-1 mine are similar to these. You might want a darker shade, though.

Name:  IMG_0739.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0740.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  90.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

as others have said using a straight edge as a guide (if possible) would be my first choice …

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

11. Likes HandLogger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those who have said use a guide,,,, B U T,,
    When you absolutely have to free-hand cut,, there is a simple rule to follow that improves cut quality 400%

Only cut left to right, (or right to left)
    as that is the most accurate way that you can move your hands.
    Do NOT cut towards you, or away from you.

If you cut side to side (left to right,, etc) it is easy to practice the cut with the torch off, simply moving the torch to see if you have the range of motion needed.

Practicing towards, or away from you is almost impossible.

I had been taught this at US Navy Shipfitter "A" School (now called Hull Maintenance Technician "A" School) .

Some years later, I attended a trade show, and a welding supply had a guy demonstrating the "magic" that could be done with a cutting torch.
    Well, I noticed that he would reposition his body for EVERY cut, to make sure that the cut would proceed, side to side.

13. Likes 52 Ford, RedOak, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Plasma cutting along a drawn line?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    I agree with those who have said use a guide,,,, B U T,,
    When you absolutely have to free-hand cut,, there is a simple rule to follow that improves cut quality 400%

Only cut left to right, (or right to left)
    as that is the most accurate way that you can move your hands.

If you cut side to side (left to right,, etc) it is easy to practice the cut with the torch off, simply moving the torch to see if you have the range of motion needed.

Practicing towards, or away from you is almost impossible.

I had been taught this at US Navy Shipfitter "A" School (now called Hull Maintenance Technician "A" School) .

Some years later, I attended a trade show, and a welding supply had a guy demonstrating the "magic" that could be done with a cutting torch.
    Well, I noticed that he would reposition his body for EVERY cut, to make sure that the cut would proceed, side to side.
    Excellent advice.

If I may add, IF cutting with a guide the opposite may work better. PULL towards you (when using a guide) if possible for better control.

OH. And when cutting circles I go clockwise if I’m in a hurry and counterclockwise if I’m getting paid by the hour.

:

15. Likes SweetMK, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And a “little” off topic but important none the less ….

:

17. Likes precivilization, 52 Ford, SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Only cut left to right, (or right to left)[/B] as that is the most accurate way that you can move your hands.
    Good call for free-hand cutting. If you drag the torch to or from yourself, you're not using your hands but rather you're using your shoulder/elbow muscles which typically do not have the same motor-control/dexterity that your hand/wrist/fingers do.

19. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple pics to help show how the plasma height, torch angle, and speed affect cut quality.

The last pic shows how cut direction affects quality on curves, circles, or whatever.

Name:  plasma cut direction.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  15.2 KB

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

A very kind friend of mine loaned me a nearly-new Hypertherm 45xp to try out, so I took all of the advice I received in this thread and put it to the test: several times.

The 45xp struggled to cut 1/4" mild (with way too much dross), much less the 1/2" stuff I've seen cut in YT videos. Anyway, a Hypertherm and a good air dryer system is quite the investment to make just to "hope" that it works. If I ever get a chance to use this machine again, I think that I'll figure out how to dry the air first.

In the end, my thought is that keeping one's air dry must be as important as everyone says it is. Other than enclosing the machine in a room that had a big dehumidifier in it, I had nothing else to dry the air with. I used our Makita portable electrical compressor to supply the air (85 psi), which it did quite well, but, once again, no air dryer in the system.

Perhaps a tank of air instead of a compressor (just to test with)? Any thoughts?
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

The 45xp struggled to cut 1/4" mild (with way too much dross), much less the 1/2" stuff I've seen cut in YT videos.
    Unless the machine is compromised, I'd say the user, not the machine, struggled to make the cut by 1. Being a first time user of plasma cutters and 2. Not filtering/drying the air. The 45xp is pretty well documented to be a bada!& plasma. Just like welding, it does take some practice. A tank of compressed air would only help if it is clean and dry, thus eliminating one variable.

23. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dry air is certainly desirable but I don't think lack of it is your problem unless your seeing water blow out of the torch. 1/4" should be a snooze for a 45XP. How big is your compressor? I'd suspect your cutting speed is too slow.See the post above yours. Does your friend use this 45XP? Ask for some instruction.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Dry air is certainly desirable but I don't think lack of it is your problem unless your seeing water blow out of the torch. 1/4" should be a snooze for a 45XP. How big is your compressor? I'd suspect your cutting speed is too slow.See the post above yours. Does your friend use this 45XP? Ask for some instruction.
    Thanks for the productive comment, Melted Metal. The 3 hp twin-nailer compressor is rated for over 6 cfm at 90 psi, but the tank is small at 5.2 gallons. I set it according to a YT video I watched in which the guy testing a 45 Amp plasma cutter was cutting 1/4" mild with pretty good results (the same thickness I was trying to cut). As for getting instruction, the fellow I borrowed it from hasn't used it much, either, so he was hoping that I'd bring back some tips for him.

I was thinking about returning the 45xp today...but I think that I'll give it one more try with new consumables installed. Now that I've read what you had to say about "dry air," I'm thinking that I may have been using worn consumables.

Post Thanks / Like

If the electrode is pitted more than 1mm and if the cutting tip orifice is already elongated to th point of looking like an oval, it's time to change them.

Post Thanks / Like

Follow up: As I mentioned in my last post, I gave the Hypertherm 45xp another try with [part of the] new consumables. Specifically, I changed the nozzle and the shield/cap, but still had no joy. I didn't have a new electrode or a swirl ring, so I have to assume that they were in need of replacement. In the end, I tried to cut 1/4" mild steel numerous times with the 45xp with no satisfactory results....so I gave the machine the best scrubbing it's ever had and returned it to the owner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Good call for free-hand cutting. If you drag the torch to or from yourself, you're not using your hands but rather you're using your shoulder/elbow muscles which typically do not have the same motor-control/dexterity that your hand/wrist/fingers do.
    I agree, If I am drag cutting, I pull toward me 100 percent, if possible. I cannot push successfully very often. Pushing seem to feel sticky or jerky. The extra mass from using the upper arms does assist straight cuts for me.

Plasma torches are light not an much mass as o/a torches. O/a torches never touch the work. Plasma to torches being dragged is kinda like a light car on a bumpy road with zero suspension.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 09-21-2022 at 11:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Follow up: As I mentioned in my last post, I gave the Hypertherm 45xp another try with [part of the] new consumables. Specifically, I changed the nozzle and the shield/cap, but still had no joy. I didn't have a new electrode or a swirl ring, so I have to assume that they were in need of replacement. In the end, I tried to cut 1/4" mild steel numerous times with the 45xp with no satisfactory results....so I gave the machine the best scrubbing it's ever had and returned it to the owner.
    To me, it sounds like you didn't have the ground clamp attached to the work. With my 50A plasma cutter, I can saw through 1/4" material with just the pilot arc.. I usually run my plasma cutter off of a Bostitch 6 gallon pancake air compressor. It just BARELY keeps up, but it's more convenient than having to start up one of the bigger compressors. Your compressor should be more than sufficient.

Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

30. Likes psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    To me, it sounds like you didn't have the ground clamp attached to the work. With my 50A plasma cutter, I can saw through 1/4" material with just the pilot arc.. I usually run my plasma cutter off of a Bostitch 6 gallon pancake air compressor. It just BARELY keeps up, but it's more convenient than having to start up one of the bigger compressors. Your compressor should be more than sufficient.

Or possibly a burnt connection within the ground clamp itself...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

32. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I drag cut I don’t use shaded glasses.
    The arc is in the kerf. Gouging?, by all means I use a shade 5 shield same as flame cutting and when using a heating head.

Post Thanks / Like

If I had been in that situation, I would have called Hypotherm and asked for assistance. The company is (or used to be) known for having good customer service, for understanding its products, and for knowing most of the things that can go wrong. It isn't too late to do so; even though you don't have the machine in front of you, you probably remember enough about it to explain the situation's details well enough to have a meaningful conversation. Your friend might also benefit from doing that, assuming he has the same problem if he tries using the cutter.

I don't have a Hypotherm, but when my electrodes wear too short, the torch just won't 'fire'.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist