Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil cooled inverter welder?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil cooled inverter welder?

I think Louie needs to learn to think outside the box when he sees schemes like this, I agree the oil was a bit much and messy but I still think the bucket of ice water might work.
    So much one track thinking in the world today, just takes the sport out of it when you do something so well proven. I dont watch a lot but was kind of hoping for a utube to see when it hit the new improved duty cycle. One thing to consider here though,,, dont use this on a gfci circuit,,, safety first. Thats for those dont know.
    Experienced men know about number 6 wire and proper breaker for this circuit. Keep as short as possible to keep from overheating too.
    Last edited by Sberry; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Extra fans works good.
    My old boss took fans out of a microwave to increase the duty cycle on his miller thunderbolt stick welder.
    Looked funny putting them on the outside, but "you can't drive a paint job" right?

I'd be really unhappy with 180 amps of AC tig at low duty cycle.
    I like the nearly unlimited usable duty cycle of my Syncrowave 350

In general, I think miller did a disservice making the Diversion machine.
    I'll disagree, Diversion is a fine little machine. A person wanting to do body work would be happy with it. A bit of thin sheet metal occasionally in aluminum. Miller's marketing was all wrong & the Airgas Manager who sold me one was either uninformed, or a liar. I wasted a lot of money, 'cause that wasn't what I wanted it for.
    Mine would run about 5" of outside corner joint on 16 gauge aluminum before it started turning down the amperage. I'd be pushing harder on the pedal, getting less heat.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

3. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't own a Diversion 180. For what one costs, I'd get something different. BUT, it's not a bad machine. 35% duty cycle at 125A running off of a 115VAC recepticle? Hard to complain about that. Especially if you're welding thin sheet metal with it. Stuff like custom autobody work, motorcycle fenders and tanks, etc.

It's just marketed poorly. I see it as more like a 125A 115V TIG machine with the option to plug it into 230V if you need the extra amps to plug weld or tack weld something.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Try some fans like this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E20SSWQ...ogi&th=1&psc=1

All you have to do is add a 12V power supply either in the Diversion or externally to power them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunterc View Post
    I've got a Miller diversion 180 and I don't like how short of a duty cycle it has. Would I be able to increase the duty cycle if I could provide a better means of cooling the components?

Similar to how computers can be submerged in a mineral oil bath using a radiator to maintain a stable temperature.
    Find an oil burner from an old oil furnace that had to be converted to an electrical heat pump [to Save the Planet!] and use that burner (running on the mineral oil) to fire a forge. Plans for building such a forge are readily available, and then you can take up blacksmithing and metal casting too. You'll be too busy with the new hobby to do enough welding to reach the dreaded Duty Cycle.

Name:  Furnace .png
Views: 76
Size:  81.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    3228.333 Amps @ 6,000V. That's a big motor. Over 80KA at 240V to get the same HP.

When we set the motor,, it was so heavy, that there were not big enough cranes in Roanoke to lift it.
    A second crane had to be brought in from Lynchburg,, TWO cranes lifted the motor, and set it in place.

They cradled it between the two cranes,,
    The building had a removable roof,, just for installing equipment in this manner.
    No one ever dreamed we would ever run such an enormous motor.

1/3 of the motor extended below floor level, into a pit..

The motor was built in Canada.

The "load" for the motor was three 5,000 HP locomotive motors, that were used as generators, to make the motor work a little.

The electricity from the locomotive motor generators was simply fed back onto the electrical grid.
    Before someone came up with the idea of generating electricity, we had these big "motor looking" things that heated water.
    The hot water was dumped into a creek behind the plant.

The shaft of the motor was about 18" in diameter,, the flexible coupling that was used to connect it to the first locomotive motor was almost 4 feet in diameter.

The flexible coupling was a heat-shrink fit onto the motor,,
    EVERYBODY held their breath when the coupling half was put on the big motor,,,

8. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i found some miller welding fans....

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    i found some miller welding fans....

Tehehe

Lots of sales reps, too. Hopefully they aren't just blowing hot air.

11. Likes Lis2323, precivilization liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Miller fan. I own a Dynasty 280DX, A Millermatic 255, and a Bobcat 250. I've had Diversion 180, a Dialarc 250 HF & a Millermatic 252. I've not been frustrated by Miller offering no help when I have a problem. They make a good product & support it.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

13. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I don't own a Diversion 180. For what one costs, I'd get something different. BUT, it's not a bad machine. 35% duty cycle at 125A running off of a 115VAC recepticle? Hard to complain about that. Especially if you're welding thin sheet metal with it. Stuff like custom autobody work, motorcycle fenders and tanks, etc.

It's just marketed poorly. I see it as more like a 125A 115V TIG machine with the option to plug it into 230V if you need the extra amps to plug weld or tack weld something.

I love Miller products too. The Diversion leaves a bit to be desired.

Just the fact that the torch is wired directly to the machine should be enough for most to pass on it.

A A/C machine with only 180 amps with a hard wired to the machine torch that costs nearly $3000 would not be a very good purchase for very many people IMO of course.

15. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TIG (AC) welders are, (or were) expensive. I knew nothing about what I wanted, only that I wanted a solid welder that'd do what I needed it to do. The then manager at one of the Airgas stores (I'm between stores) assured me I'd be very happy with this machine.
    Every once in a while somebody selling me something says something from left field. I should learn, they don't make sense. He knew I lived at the beginning of a snowmobile hot spot, said I could repair snowmobile skis "all day long". At the time, it seemed a really odd thing to say. Most snowmobile skis are plastic & I certainly wasn't considering a career fixing broken skis.

My motivation was the aluminum work I'd seen coming out of General Electric plant in Rutland since I was a kid. It was a secret process GE wasn't willing to share. I believe GE management tolerated the occasional repair made in house as a lesser evil to sharing technology. At the time, only source for the consumables was stealing them from GE.

I was in a new time, information was easier to access, & I damned well wanted to try it.

Diversion was an expensive education for me.

17. Likes 52 Ford liked this post