Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Hello. Well Im starting a new trade with welding. Hope to add other metal working to it. Thought I would start here.

    I have been a Bread baker for 15 years. Wile only at 1 bakery it was artisan and larger quantity. I enjoy the act of making things people use. More over would be nice to get into repairing things. If we want to fane eco friendly. We really should keep as much as we can out of land fills and in active use. I like classic vehicles and the city I live in has a good amount of rebuilding and restoring going on with those.

    But need to get down the basics and build a resume in the field. I am still in my 30s and have a long working life ahead of me. God willing. Stuff around the house makes it so I can take a day job. Was working nights so I could manage my kids day schedules. Single dad. Well I hope to get to know some of you over time.

    Thanks for reading and if ya say hi!

  2. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dalton, GA
    Posts
    2,133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Welcome to this forum.

    Start by reading those posts that interest you as most general questions have already been answered. From basic equipment, setup, accessories, and techniques to how-to in many situations, you can learn a lot. I recommend a lot of reading and if possible a community college class. That will avoid poor purchase decisions of equipment and unlearning bad habits.
    Burt
    _____________________
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 211
    Miller 375 Plasma Cutter
    Hobart Handler 120

    www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Thanks. Taking classes in a few days.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Location
    Sugarland, GA
    Posts
    626
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Welcome big jump for ya, these guys can answer your questions
    Retired Old Guy

    Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14” Saw

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    7,786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Welcome to the group

    FYI The more can do in metal the better the resume.
    Only put items on resume for job.
    I would not put must about 15 years in baking just line to show good work habits.
    My son puts all jobs he ever had harder to get jobs.

    I was the employer reading the resumes and ones with long resume was not best. You just do not time to read long resumes. Single page with 12pt print was best

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Noviastar View Post
    Hello. Well Im starting a new trade with welding. Hope to add other metal working to it. Thought I would start here.

    I have been a Bread baker for 15 years. Wile only at 1 bakery it was artisan and larger quantity. I enjoy the act of making things people use. More over would be nice to get into repairing things. If we want to fane eco friendly. We really should keep as much as we can out of land fills and in active use. I like classic vehicles and the city I live in has a good amount of rebuilding and restoring going on with those.

    But need to get down the basics and build a resume in the field. I am still in my 30s and have a long working life ahead of me. God willing. Stuff around the house makes it so I can take a day job. Was working nights so I could manage my kids day schedules. Single dad. Well I hope to get to know some of you over time.

    Thanks for reading and if ya say hi!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    AJO, ARIZONA
    Posts
    4,935
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Welcome! Best wishes with your endeavors.

    NRA LIFE MEMBER

    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Near Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    1,027
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Get us a good bread recipe,, so that I can make something with my kitchen decoration,, besides chocolate chip cookies!!







    Yes, the WHOLE 4.5 pound bag of chips goes in!! We make COOKIES!!

  9. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    One thing I’m sure you have noticed is that Hobart made welding equipment in addition to the giant dough mixers.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley256 View Post
    One thing I’m sure you have noticed is that Hobart made welding equipment in addition to the giant dough mixers.
    Looks like the one that that SweetMK has is a Hobart. One of my buddies just picked up this Hobart a few days ago.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  12. #10
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    8,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    When I was sitting in the ER for my skin infection, a young woman came in that had been tangled up in her home KitchenAid. Sounded like she broke a bunch of bones in her hand, don't ask me how. Just saying keep an eye on those kids (and the women apparently) with those things... like most tools they have a dark side...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  13. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  14. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern CT
    Posts
    859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Can the thread title be fixed? OP meant “career”. Almost didn’t read the thread.
    Good luck OP, all the best.
    Ernie F.

  15. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
  16. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    48
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    I want a multiprocess Hobart that is a welder and a mixer so my wife can weld.

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Can the thread title be fixed? OP meant “career”. Almost didn’t read the thread.
    Good luck OP, all the best.
    Not a problem. Most of the folks on here can barely read, anyway.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Starting a 20 year carrier in Oregon.

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    When I was sitting in the ER for my skin infection, a young woman came in that had been tangled up in her home KitchenAid. Sounded like she broke a bunch of bones in her hand, don't ask me how. Just saying keep an eye on those kids (and the women apparently) with those things... like most tools they have a dark side...
    I believe it. Get a loose sleeve hung up in a dough hook and you might get pulled in pretty fast.

    Can't have mills and lathes in a high school shop class, but we can have mixers and chit in home ec.

    Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 52 Ford; 1 Week Ago at 09:43 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,664,798,070.14427 seconds with 13 queries