+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SP 125 Plus

Post Thanks / Like

SP 125 Plus

Good morning all!

New to the forum, and never welded before so I obviously signed up to this forum to gain some knowledge before just diving in and causing myself grief/harm/disgruntlement to the point of never returning to welding.

Quick question - my father in law passed recently and my mother gave me his sp 125 plus. He and I had been talking about me coming down (different cities) and teaching me how to weld. I have been interested for some time and never found the time. What I would like to start with is a bunch of aluminum.

What I know is to pick up a spool gun and use 5056? wire. Thicker heavier wire to reduce the feed issues.

Couple of basic questions and feel free to offer any other quick things that come to mind please. I don't know what I don't know to ask. I don't mind spending the time to look it up, if it's a bunch to type up but it's important. Pointing me in the right direction is absolutely appreciated!

Three quick questions:

• I need to know what spool guns are compatible. When I look on Amazon, and on the web they list many models which look to be newer than the one I have and I can't seem to find a spool gun for the sp 125 plus, and not sure if I can just use any gun that works with the 140.

• With aluminum specifically and a spool gun. If there was one thing you wish you knew before you started what would it be?

• How does using a spool gun alter the way you approach welding?

Again, much appreciated on any information.

Enjoy the day!

James

Post Thanks / Like

SP 125 Plus

Last edited by precivilization; 09-19-2022 at 08:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SP 125 Plus

This is a hard way to start out, like picking up the middle of the book to learn trig. The 125 is fine but its a steel machine.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a sp125. it has and still is used for steel welding up to 1/8" metal and auto body sheet metal. imo its not powerful enough for aluminum except sheet.

i did ALL my body welding with it. in different shops over the years many different size welders up to miller mig 250 amp, the sp125 was the best and most controllable.
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Its a really good body machine. I am looking for a 135-140 now. I want smaller wire on hand and the settings are exactly the same as the larger one. Can weld down to paper thickness with it and 023. Really nice for exhaust work. Its just another level you can turn the current down and have machine still weld correctly.
    Last edited by Sberry; 09-19-2022 at 05:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt the machine is spool gun compatible. Its nice to get a free machine but 2 things with starting out. First, why the "bunch of aluminum" ? This is hard first and its really a steel world. Yes you can find alum work if ypou try hard enough bit in decades find onlyu a handful of times with stuff most people dont own that get in my way in regards to alum while doing 50000+ welds with 1 machine alone on steel.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep this on steel, use 023 for light work and buy a new 240V or DVI with spooly right out of the box in a package deal. Put 030 solid in if for light fab and hook the spooly on if and when you need it, invest in gas bottle for each machine, acts as spare.

Post Thanks / Like

With a aluminum type liner it can weld aluminum. Problem it's will be great for tack welds only.There was a guy doing production aluminum back in the day, The SP-125 is a nice auto-body rig, and exhaust type work. A machine like a Klutch 140si with spool-gun is light years ahead of the Lincoln in laying beads down..I would like to have a SP-125/135 in my shop. I have a love affair with those old Lincolns..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

i managed to do some alum welding on a swingset repair in a kids park once w/ my sp135, and a couple other thin jobs before i a better setup. i never t4ried a teflon liner, but i zip tied a 9' piece of skinny rebar to the gun, to keep it straight. like said, the 110v lincon minimig lacks power. as far as spool gun compatible, i think it can be made to happen, cuz, there was a guy on here yrs ago, that gave step by step info and pics of making his 170 or 175 lincoln mini mig, adapt to a spool gun. it appeared to be a really nice clean job, he put a toggle switch and a green notification light on it.
    Last edited by 123weld; 09-19-2022 at 09:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice little welders. The problem we had running aluminum even with a teflon liner is it ran out of wire speed before a good weld could be done. Always had to start with wire wide open and adjust volts accordingly. 030 or 035 kind of works.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

11. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good information in here. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I'll certainly flag this as my steel mig, and look into an answer for aluminum. Right now I only have 120v out to my garage which I would like to upgrade in a year or two so I might go with something that either has an option, or stick to a 120v machine and upgrade that later if needed.

So with this mig setup, is the idea from this group if I was looking into another welder to look at Tig?

I don't mind the learning curve struggles up front, if I am down a path that makes sense long term. I'm good with putting in the effort to learn.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist