Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Tool To Cut I Beams?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Tool To Cut I Beams?

Yes,
    CNC cut..
    Gouging on even my little plasma is real handy. Cost of steel makes it pencil out a lot of the time.. Also.750 is a pretty good stopping point for air plasma and switching over to O/A-P. The cost, and performance makes plasma a good tool for any shop..I have been very surprised how very old USA plasma power supplies respond to a more modern torch on them. You can do some nice precision gouging with them.

In some ways I can't really figure out why you would not just pick up one of these instead of a few cutting wheels. The power supply works well, and matching the consumables to the torch helps performance. I traded my $92.00 machine to my friend, and it's still going strong..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PQKGQ6D...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The little Smith torch has some out of the box uses for sure..
    Last edited by Brand X; 1 Week Ago at 12:39 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal LM-200/ Lincoln feeders
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

2. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a deal on some cut wheels and have a few left. We used a lot of them before plasma and I even use vs a chop saw on occasion. I never saw miter, I snip the corners after sometimes. I cut a lot of bolt holes and am fairly and occasionally too good at it. I never really figure out how the gouging worked, I really aint gouged with anything but a grinder forever, I can pass simple torch cutting a lot, finish after the demolition.
    I worked for AB for a while, they had a lot of 600A machines and 4/0 lead. Could use a big fat carbon. So, Innershield in nice and toasty in a groove weld often over 6011 tack up and with big machines could make a single smooth gouge on the back, all overhead and fill back in a pass. Was really fast if a guy was good and disciplined, slow if he made a mistake in a bad spot.
    Last edited by Sberry; 1 Week Ago at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I'm not cutting parts with a machine torch, but for the last 10+ years I've learned to love the plasma torch for anything up to 5/8" hand cutting and really like it for deconstructing rusty semi trailers and gouging welds and cracks on farm implements. My O/A cylinders haven't been changed for a year.
    Oh yeah, Hypertherm 65 here.
    i have the miller equivalent which is totally overrated

i wanted the hypertherm but this miller came up on ebay for $1000 usd shipped new in box, with warranty and hard travel case and & $300 box of consumables

:

5. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Best Tool To Cut I Beams?

I hand plasma cut something every day. I wouldnt have a problem buying a table if I had to make custom parts. If I was serious about it would most likely have a machine dedicated to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    I hand plasma cut something every day. I wouldnt have a problem buying a table if I had to make custom parts. If I was serious about it would most likely have a machine dedicated to it.
    I use the same torch on my Pakmaster 50 and Thermal 60 i(hand torch) The 60i is my CNC machine, and it stays put. I can run about 45 ft of lead out of the shop from the 60ii It's a new in box $400 208/460 3 phase unit, and is a great gouging machine.. Better than my Hypertherm 65 in arc length gouging and as a precision gouge unit as nice as my Hypertherm 45XP was. Having decades of use with the old SL-60 torch pays off.. This is not bashing the Hypertherm units at all, because they can do other things better. Just not anywhere as cheaply.. Shoot my Cutmaster 151(100 amp) from 2005/6 gets a work out everyday at my friends marine repair shop. His Hypertherm stays on the cnc table, and the USA built cutmaster does everything else.. Lot of good options on the used market .I like my Esab 875 really well, and I use it more often than the 60i overall. Quality Esab/ATT consumables for quality cutting, and spare China for backup.. Nice, very cheap machines to run and also cut nice. Under a grand for all of them,so hard to bitch..
    Last edited by Brand X; 1 Week Ago at 03:19 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

8. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    i have the miller equivalent which is totally overrated

i wanted the hypertherm but this miller came up on ebay for $1000 usd shipped new in box, with warranty and hard travel case and & $300 box of consumables

I just sold my Miller 625 two days ago. I had it for about 6-8 years and it worked well for what I did. I ended up with a Thermal Dynamics 52 for a great price a couple years ago so kept that plus my Hypertherm 65 that is on my plasma table.
    I finally bought a hand torch for the Hypertherm so I no longer needed three different plasma units.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

My niece's husband works at Hypertherm in NH. It got me no discount, but I felt better about a US company. As it turns out, they have excellent tech support.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

11. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    My niece's husband works at Hypertherm in NH. It got me no discount, but I felt better about a US company. As it turns out, they have excellent tech support.
    paying full retail price for a quality product beats any size discount for crap.

imo of course.
    :

13. Likes 52 Ford, Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

paying full retail price for a quality product beats any size discount for crap.

imo of course.
    My opinion too
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    If I can afford it.
    Other I would have to deal with the low cost crap.

Dave

imo of course.

Post Thanks / Like

There is quality used, and low cost units that will work very well. Yes, if you don't know anything about what is good, then best get off your wallet to be safe. (IMO)
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember the name of that square the guy came up with so you could reach around the flanges on the I-beam to mark the web? I keep saying I'm going to buy one, but then I keep forgetting. I don't have any pressing need, but I like to support other craftsmen when I can.... and having an I-beam square or two would be handy "just in case".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Anyone remember the name of that square the guy came up with so you could reach around the flanges on the I-beam to mark the web? I keep saying I'm going to buy one, but then I keep forgetting. I don't have any pressing need, but I like to support other craftsmen when I can.... and having an I-beam square or two would be handy "just in case".
    A lot of us just buy a speed square (6" and 12") and just cut the corner off.
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    I start using a speed square after 2009. It works great .

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    A lot of us just buy a speed square (6" and 12") and just cut the corner off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I can't think of what it's called but I'm pretty sure it's sold under the " curve -o- mark" brand.

Post Thanks / Like

A grinder is likely the best tool for the job if you have the right grinder. Check out this video and jump ahead to the 9:00 minute mark. A metabo 6" grinder was faster than oxy fuel by quite a bit in this example.

Miller Multimatic 255