+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drill press failure

Post Thanks / Like

Drill press failure

My 13" HF drill press stopped working. When I flip the switch there is nothing, no buzz or hum, just dead. Apparently it's an electrical issue. Anyone know what parts that could be the issue. Yes, I am also googling for solutions but just thought I'd ask around here as I'm in the middle of a job. Many thanks in advance.

2. Likes Doghouse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drill press failure

Suspect #1 is usually the switch, but check if you have incoming power to the switch. Could be something stupid like the plugin (people yanking it by the cord) or the outlet. Beyond that, trace the power to the motor and if it's getting there with no buzz, you have a problem.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

4. Likes 12345678910, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Chinese drill press has a lot of weak spots.
    I just replaced the motor on my mill with a new drum switch and cords. Will last for ever now.
    I did not bother with trying problem.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Brewer View Post
    My 13" HF drill press stopped working. When I flip the switch there is nothing, no buzz or hum, just dead. Apparently it's an electrical issue. Anyone know what parts that could be the issue. Yes, I am also googling for solutions but just thought I'd ask around here as I'm in the middle of a job. Many thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

No buzz, no hum. WELL... start at the wall outlet. Is the plug in all the way? Does the outlet have electricity to it?

Next would be the switch. Might not be making good contact. You can generally open them up and clean the contacts with some fine sandpaper (just like points on an older engine). Keep in mind that most switches like that are finicky to put back together and the plastic is fairly brittle.

Going from the switch to the motor, you have a couple things going on.

So, thermocouple, capacitor, and windings.

Since you aren't getting any hum/buzz from the motor, I'd check the thermocouple. Pop the ends off the motor, pull the motor rotor out, then you should see a "thing" with two wires going to it. It's likely to be stuck to one end of the windings. Might be tied in and lacquered over with the windings. Check for continuity between the two leads going into it.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

7. Likes 12345678910, rhunt, farmall liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Check if the motor has a thermal breaker (Klixon type - red button). If it does, press it to hear it click. Motor should restart.

Post Thanks / Like

When I flip the switch there is nothing, no buzz or hum, just dead. Apparently it's an electrical issue. Anyone know what parts that could be the issue.
    It could be any of the electrical parts starting at the circuit breaker all the way to the motor.

Your question is like "My car won't start when I turn the key, what should I check?"....
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

10. Likes Lis2323, filetobeef, vwguy3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    It could be any of the electrical parts starting at the circuit breaker all the way to the motor.

Your question is like "My car won't start when I turn the key, what should I check?"....
    Yes; maybe the site needs a few Stickies including one about General Rules for posting, the second about how to do Basic Troubleshooting, the third listing facts (and pictures) that should be included when asking advice about problems....all Required to be read [each with an "I agree" button required, for progressing] before the site lets the person write his first post.
    That would also cut out most, if not all, the stupid Spam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    Yes; maybe the site needs a few Stickies including one about General Rules for posting, the second about how to do Basic Troubleshooting, the third listing facts (and pictures) that should be included when asking advice about problems....all Required to be read [each with an "I agree" button required, for progressing] before the site lets the person write his first post.
    That would also cut out most, if not all, the stupid Spam.
    Dude, put me on ignore and go to the coffee room. You're looking for threads to bitch on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post

Nah, your analogy is way off. There are only a few component that could be wrong and I'd like to know the names so I could buy and replace them.

52 Ford responded with exactly what I needed to know and now I can troubleshoot the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it is going well.
    Remember the drill press Harbor Freight and electrical is lowest cost to last 90 days.
    Thd bad news to fix the drill press right it cost more than drill press cost from Harbor Freight.

(If now a little about electrical I would wire the motor to power cord and see if runs)

Then you know if motor or switch/cord

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, put me on ignore and go to the coffee room. You're looking for threads to bitch on.
    You're not the only one who asks such questions without doing any inspection yourself; that's been happening since I first got on the site, and although I know my suggestion won't be implemented, it would take care of many first-posters trying to do what you did here, maybe even helping them solve their problem themselves, without asking members for the help.

Instead of complaining about such a site suggestion, I'd be ashamed if I had asked such an open-ended question without having checked the basics and someone had pointed it out, as the post above mine did.

BTW, the Spam I was referring to was this one, which I'd reported [for now, it is still there]:

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...29#post8885429

16. Likes CAVEMANN, xmmancharl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post

BTW, the Spam I was referring to was this one, which I'd reported [for now, it is still there]:
    Saw that one too.... it's gone now.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

There is special smoke in these motors and if you let it out, they won't run.

19. Likes NotaVegetarian, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RHayes View Post
    There is special smoke in these motors and if you let it out, they won't run.
    Think I still have some left from the last repair. They have it at HF in .5 cu bottles
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14” Saw

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you get the correct smoke.
    HF smoke has to have just a touch of orphan tears in it to work properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Harbor Freight.
    I think the motors was made to last for the warranty plus one day 💨 .

Getting the right motor and switches cost more than the item you purchased from Harbor freight.

In welder from Harbor Freight I replaced the mag starter before it was smoke. The rest welder was built to last. It like making tools are made to have a week point.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield43 View Post
    Make sure you get the correct smoke.
    HF smoke has to have just a touch of orphan tears in it to work properly.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist