+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My First Ever Pipe Weld

Post Thanks / Like

My First Ever Pipe Weld

As some of you know, I'm fairly new to welding, and am in my first semester of welding school. My first class was on August 10th, and then the first week of September, my wife and I got covid for the first time. Had to miss a couple of classes, then my Dad, age 91, passed away on September 11, and because they live about 200 miles away from me, I had to miss another class due to the funeral. My welding instructor has been very nice thru it all, and has allowed me to come in more evenings to make up my missed classes.

This was one of the things I welded last night, my first ever pipe weld. We didn't know it, but the row of welders on the line I was on was running out of gas, but even though this was my first pipe weld, I thought it was pretty decent. No undercut, but the mig gun would flame out, but I made it around the pipe. It might not be up to you experienced guys standards, but given the issues, whatcha think?

Name:  first pipe weld.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  203.9 KB We've been thru stick, then MIG, and tonight he's starting our class on TIG. Looks like we might have time to actually make a class project by the end of November.
    Last edited by RCWelds; 09-28-2022 at 07:24 AM.
    Miller Multimatic 215, Bobcat 260 EFI
    Spoolmate 150 spool gun, Miller TIG kit
    PrimeWeld MIG-285, Primeweld Cut 60 Plasma Cutter
    Vevor Pipe Stands,
    Bauer Portaband/Swag table
    Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Dewalt
    ArcUnion M-20 portable rod oven

2. Likes whtbaron, tiggen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My First Ever Pipe Weld

Kudos for taking classes, learning the right way first time including some theory and safety no doubt.
    If you had full gas flow and the coupons were descaled the result would have been better for sure. Keep practicing!

4. Likes wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With mig, clean materials is a must. That's a pretty easy weld pipe to flat plate and looks ok. Now butt weld pipe to pipe with a bevel and gap.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why, maybe its just the compressed time frame our instructor has, but he just wants us to weld with the mill scale on. He seems to be trying to move the class along at a pace that doesn't allow for much grinding/scale removal.

I might need to ask him in class tonight. Maybe I'll just show up with my own grinder, wheels and wire brushes, and see what happens. He told me last night, we were switching to TIG for the class tonight. It could be that the day classes are moving to TIG as well, and the machine setups dictate the amount of time he can spend on certain processes.?
    Vevor Pipe Stands,

Post Thanks / Like

I won't do that without his permission, there may be a reason. Are you in a booth with ducted exhaust system or are welding benches in an open area? Sparks flying or air contamination might prevent grinding operations.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in welding school we weren't allowed to use grinders in booths because the teachers didn't want students doing stoopid and cutting their heads off. There was one dedicated grinding booth where the teacher could keep a close eye. Most coupons came with machined ends and bevels to keep grinding to a minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

I took my grinder, but didn’t need it, because the instructor started me on TIG tonight. Most of the rest of the class was still on MIG, but the instructor moved me on to the MIG process. Since I don’t have a TIG setup for my MM215 as of yet, tonight was my first time with a torch in my hands. Lift -arc tig is what I did, and it is amazingly elegant compared to stick, especially, and MIG also, but not as much as stick. My instructor was pleased with my results, and will move me on to stainless steel TIG next Wednesday. I’m having fun learning this metal meltin’ stuff!
    Vevor Pipe Stands,

10. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was so impressed with the TIG. Process tonight that I went ahead and ordered a complete TIG kit for my MM215, which includes foot petal, torch, gas meter, extra cups, tips, etc. I had been on the fence about pulling the trigger on a TIG kit, but tonights class pushed me to get it, and now I think I have every accessory to weld anything my machine is capable of. Not cheap by any means, but hopefully in time it will pay for itself with the repairs I can do.
    Vevor Pipe Stands,

Post Thanks / Like

Hell, it looks better than I can do. I've never been able to do round stuff. My hand always winds up at the wrong angle as I go around, and I screw up the puddle.

Post Thanks / Like

There are places for artists with a tig, then there is the other 95% of the worlds welding work done mig and stick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    There are places for artists with a tig, then there is the other 95% of the worlds welding work done mig and stick.
    . True, but it will be nice to have a TIG option for thin metals, especially stainless. A number of the industrial businesses in our area are food related in the poultry industry, and use stainless steel for most of their lines. Any good repair welder should have that capability in his/her arsenal this area.
    Vevor Pipe Stands,

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Hell, it looks better than I can do. I've never been able to do round stuff. My hand always winds up at the wrong angle as I go around, and I screw up the puddle.
    . My instructor tells me the discoloration is the impurites that come to the surface of the weld. I could easily remove it with a handheld wire brush.
    Vevor Pipe Stands,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    I won't do that without his permission, there may be a reason. Are you in a booth with ducted exhaust system or are welding benches in an open area? Sparks flying or air contamination might prevent grinding operations.
    yes, a small one with welding curtains.
    Vevor Pipe Stands,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCWelds View Post
    . My instructor tells me the discoloration is the impurites that come to the surface of the weld. I could easily remove it with a handheld wire brush.
    I was talking about the shape/profile of the finished bead.........which is a direct result of how the puddle runs. I mess up the puddle, which gives me a less than desirable finished bead. It's the cross that K'kins has to bear. She hates it when I have to weld round stuff. I get grouchy, and start spouting off about how I can't weld anymore, or never could weld worth a damn. I'm not BS'n............I get very stressed/grumpy when I do round stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great.
    I do not remember the first welded pipe.
    But was for a metal building. My father fab building and I got weekend repairs and missed welding.
    Remember to frame your first .
    I had my very first weld from 1964 till 2003 when it came up missing.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by RCWelds View Post
    As some of you know, I'm fairly new to welding, and am in my first semester of welding school. My first class was on August 10th, and then the first week of September, my wife and I got covid for the first time. Had to miss a couple of classes, then my Dad, age 91, passed away on September 11, and because they live about 200 miles away from me, I had to miss another class due to the funeral. My welding instructor has been very nice thru it all, and has allowed me to come in more evenings to make up my missed classes.

This was one of the things I welded last night, my first ever pipe weld. We didn't know it, but the row of welders on the line I was on was running out of gas, but even though this was my first pipe weld, I thought it was pretty decent. No undercut, but the mig gun would flame out, but I made it around the pipe. It might not be up to you experienced guys standards, but given the issues, whatcha think?

Name:  first pipe weld.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  203.9 KB We've been thru stick, then MIG, and tonight he's starting our class on TIG. Looks like we might have time to actually make a class project by the end of November.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I was talking about the shape/profile of the finished bead.........which is a direct result of how the puddle runs. I mess up the puddle, which gives me a less than desirable finished bead. It's the cross that K'kins has to bear. She hates it when I have to weld round stuff. I get grouchy, and start spouting off about how I can't weld anymore, or never could weld worth a damn. I'm not BS'n............I get very stressed/grumpy when I do round stuff.

Dont feel so bad Sam...I think a lot of it is the aging process and the abuse we put ourselves through. At one time back in the day I could weld pipe good enough to get by for what we did in the breakers and on shovels and whatnot. I wouldnt have called myself a pipe welder back then but I would say I could weld pipe.

Today? Ummm not so much...Ive had my hands and fingers busted up pretty bad over the years and never went to a doctor to get em set right and it shows. Now its hard to get around a pioe to weld it. Along with all that there is patience or a lack of it. When you are used to running wide open balls to the wall like I am on these buckets its hard to slow down and let that pipe cool down. You cant weld pipe like you weld a 2 inch thick piece of AR plate it aint gonna happen.

So I avoid welding pipe if possible but if I take my time and get a shot or 2 of Old Crow in me I can settle down enough to do it

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist