+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hanging fixtures

Post Thanks / Like

Hanging fixtures

Any better deal on cord and plug fixtures for a small garage, little 2 car deal with 2 in the ceiling and a hanger over the bench. Menards has 4 ft for 50$ and wondering if there was a better deal. Girls are going to be at the store in about an hour. Already have it recept wired in the ceiling, would just as soon have something plug in.
    Also,,, if anyone knows where I set the bag with a couple inch LBs and a jar of 1/2 emt clips let me know, has been driving 2 of us insane for a couple of days,,,, good news is we sorted a lot of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hanging fixtures

I have used the Harbor Freight led fixtures and really like them. They have 3-4 different one, some are linkable.

I have wired some directly with existing flourescent fixtures and some plug in.

They are around $20, depending on sales and coupons can be less.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the 8 foot ballast free led lights to go in my shop. Cut the old ballast out, rewire, plug in the new light. 5 to 10 minutes per fixture.
    Search Amazon for those or 4 footers and you will probably find a better price than in a store.
    I also have the linkable 4 foot led in my container and storage building/forge area.
    Four lights in the 40 foot container and two in forge area.
    I like the daylight bright ones best.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

4. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hanging fixtures

i replaced my 8 footers with 4 foot LEDs

the first ones for the back shop were from Costco and these were from Amazon

i've been using the (good) ballasts from the removed 8 footers for the old fixtures in my parts room.

Last edited by Lis2323; 09-29-2022 at 02:48 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I had the fixtures, and I bought a 20 pack of direct wire 4 foot bulbs at Lowes for about $50.
    Those LED bulbs are perfect in my garage. I put 12 in the garage, and 6 (so far) in my office,,

Some of the fixtures needed wiped down,, that was the hardest part of the install.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought six 4 foot LED fixtures from LOWE, and 2 from WALMART, I don't care for the ones from Walmart, I really don't know why, but it might help if I actually hung them & used them.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.harborfreight.com/24-ft-...ack-63483.html if you take one of these and swap the bulbs out for bright LEDs (60, 75 or maybe 100w equivalent) they work GREAT!

We ran one of these down the middle isle in the barn for temporary lighting and it was honestly like daylight in there. Obviously the stalls were still dark, but the isle and the loft were plenty bright. Not sure how high up I had them hung. Maybe 15 feet up.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    https://www.harborfreight.com/24-ft-...ack-63483.html if you take one of these and swap the bulbs out for bright LEDs (60, 75 or maybe 100w equivalent) they work GREAT!

We ran one of these down the middle isle in the barn for temporary lighting and it was honestly like daylight in there. Obviously the stalls were still dark, but the isle and the loft were plenty bright. Not sure how high up I had them hung. Maybe 15 feet up.

I should add that we used a single 12 bulb, 24 string with 60w equiv. bulbs in that barn (plus the single 60w in each stall). The barn is 40X50 I think.... maybe bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, we had looked and about the cheapest fixtures were 50 something in Menards then the sec found them just north of 15, cheap little buggers but they work really good.

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with cord and plug connected fixtures is they require GFCI protection, where hardwired does not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Ok, we had looked and about the cheapest fixtures were 50 something in Menards then the sec found them just north of 15, cheap little buggers but they work really good.
    My neighbor put all LED lights in his garage. After about a year, some of them started blinking on and off then eventually cut off. Be sure to keep some replacements on hand.

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbor put all LED lights in his garage. After about a year, some of them started blinking on and off then eventually cut off. Be sure to keep some replacements on hand.

I built my shop (45X57 feet ) in the year 1999,, and put up two metal halide lights in the year 2000.
    Those two lights have been working for 22 years, and they were used when I put them up.
    I think I bought a new bulb for one of them about 5 years ago, but, I can not visibly see any difference compared to the original bulb,,

Those two lights easily light the main 35X30 area of the shop.
    I did put one over a welding table,, it gives off so much light, it will darken an auto weld helmet.
    (If you have that light on,, and are facing the light, you need to reach up, and "shade" the helmets light sensor, if you want to see,,, LOL!!)

I also have one over a workbench,, there is ZERO concerns about needing additional light.
    Working at that workbench is kinda like being next to the ocean, at Myrtle Beach at 3:00 in the afternoon,,, it is bright,,,

I doubt that I will take down those lights in my lifetime,, I enjoy them EVERY time I am in that shed.

My lights are 15+ feet high,, lower than that, the lights might not be as nice,,,

14. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    I built my shop (45X57 feet ) in the year 1999,, and put up two metal halide lights in the year 2000.
    Those two lights have been working for 22 years, and they were used when I put them up.
    I think I bought a new bulb for one of them about 5 years ago, but, I can not visibly see any difference compared to the original bulb,,

Those two lights easily light the main 35X30 area of the shop.
    I did put one over a welding table,, it gives off so much light, it will darken an auto weld helmet.
    (If you have that light on,, and are facing the light, you need to reach up, and "shade" the helmets light sensor, if you want to see,,, LOL!!)

I also have one over a workbench,, there is ZERO concerns about needing additional light.
    Working at that workbench is kinda like being next to the ocean, at Myrtle Beach at 3:00 in the afternoon,,, it is bright,,,

I doubt that I will take down those lights in my lifetime,, I enjoy them EVERY time I am in that shed.

My lights are 15+ feet high,, lower than that, the lights might not be as nice,,,
    I had Mercury Vapor in mine and yes it was bright as day. When I re-did the ceiling to add insulation I replaced it with LED strip lights, it's just as bright and I don't have to wait 10 minutes for the Mercury Vapor to come up to full brightness which is a real pain if the power drops out for a moment while you're working. I also found that if I was running out to the shop to grab something real quick I wouldn't use the lights because they took so long to strike and warm up so I'd use a flashlight. Plus my power consumption went from 175 watts per fixture to 36 watts per 2 tube fixture, and they don't hum. I did enjoy those Mercury lights for many years though, and like you I got them used.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I've swapped almost every bulb in the house and shop over to LED. In my kitchen, I went from over 600W of lights to about 50W. In one part of my shop, I have 12 60W equivalent LED bulbs in the ceiling. 108W instead of 720W if they were incandescent. They're bright enough that I haven't cut on the 1000W halogen fixture over the bench since I installed the LEDs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I had Mercury Vapor in mine and yes it was bright as day. When I re-did the ceiling to add insulation I replaced it with LED strip lights, it's just as bright and I don't have to wait 10 minutes for the Mercury Vapor to come up to full brightness which is a real pain if the power drops out for a moment while you're working. I also found that if I was running out to the shop to grab something real quick I wouldn't use the lights because they took so long to strike and warm up so I'd use a flashlight. Plus my power consumption went from 175 watts per fixture to 36 watts per 2 tube fixture, and they don't hum. I did enjoy those Mercury lights for many years though, and like you I got them used.
    In my shed, I have a 4 foot T8 fluorescent 2 tube fixture right when you walk in the door. The ballast has gotten kinda weak and it doesn't like starting the tubes when it's cold out. I swapped ONE of the tubes in the fixture with a ballast compatible LED tube. It's not as bright as the fluorescent, but at least I have SOME light when the fluorescent doesn't start.

Post Thanks / Like

They're bright enough that I haven't cut on the 1000W halogen fixture over the bench since I installed the LEDs.

You can use that one for heat this winter.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist