+ Reply to Thread

Thread: building a new utility trailer from boat trailer

Post Thanks / Like

building a new utility trailer from boat trailer

Ok so my question is should I weld the new 4"×2"rectangle bar I'm using to widen my trailer. Or thru bolt it? I really like the options thru bolting opens up for me but it really is about the strength and safest way. I'll add some pics after my phone charges so you can get a better understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: building a new utility trailer from boat trailer

You failed to mention what your welding proficiency is. If you've never welded and want to welder up with your new Harbor Freight 125 amp flux core welder then lose that thought, nobody wants to be on the road with that trailer, once you weld that trailer you have assumed all liability for it and anything that may or may not happen as a result of an improper weld, especially one done with a wire welder in the hands of an inexperienced welder.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

3. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Moen View Post
    Ok so my question is should I weld the new 4"×2"rectangle bar I'm using to widen my trailer. Or thru bolt it? I really like the options thru bolting opens up for me but it really is about the strength and safest way. I'll add some pics after my phone charges so you can get a better understanding of what I'm trying to accomplish here. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Yes, you are asking for some criticism by posing such an open-ended question without giving any significant background information, not only about the welding aspects but also about the current trailer specs. plus the specs. and the intended use of the new unit. If I were you, I'd start by adding my general location to the Settings page and then giving (in a second post) anything and everything pertinent about you, your abilities, your equipment and the trailer project, Pictures Included, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry my phone was showing on me lol. I weld this trailer had holes in the whole frame already so that's why I'm wondering if I ran the 3' 4x"2" rectangle through the channel but thru bolted it wouldn't it still be stronger and rigid? Or thru bolt and a couple good tackle welds? Hell I don't no lolhttps://photos.app.goo.gl/zugmgSjnVNrUxfsA7

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link to the pics the OP was trying to lost. He ran two words together so the link didn't work.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zugmgSjnVNrUxfsA7

I am not sure what kind of potato you used for that photo, but try to post new, clear pics in the daylight. Pics of the trailer overall, location you want to put the beam, etc.

In addition to the questions above, what is the trailer going to be used for? Weight carried, etc? If you modify the frame to carry more, are you adjusting everything else to accommodate the additional weight?
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, any welding on a trailer should be done by someone that knows what they are doing. Converting a boat trailer to a utility trailer is not a good idea, unless you know what you are doing. Making it wider doesn't mean that the side rails are strong enough for what you are doing. Axle placement and tongue weight can be another issue. Not knowing what your limitations are, from what you are saying, go buy what you need. If you are planning on using this off road around your property, that's fine. Pulling it on streets and in traffic, No !
    If you decide to do it the way you want, make sure you have insurance. Does title say, boat trailer ? How do you plan on getting a license plate for it ?
    Material cost are crazy almost all over and if you price it out, you can probably buy for less and you have an ''engineered'' trailer designed for a dedicated load. Tongue length, axle placement, and materials used are designed for a specific load.

8. Likes TJS, whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist