+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight MIG 180 - new model

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight MIG 180 - new model

I have had 2 of them and they just are not what it should be. I don't need it to have bore power just need it to feed consistently

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SDPAULIE View Post
    I have had 2 of them and they just are not what it should be. I don't need it to have bore power just need it to feed consistently
    Are you talking about the blue welders or the black welders.

Post Thanks / Like

The black one. The blue one is the 181

Post Thanks / Like

The black one. The blue one is the 181
    I have a HF store 2 miles from my house and I have never seen a blue 181 mig welder. I have seen a blue 151 mig welder and if my memory is correct a blue 131 mig welder. I also think they had for a short time a blue 170 mig welder that was only 140 amps. I don't ever remember seeing a 181 mig. That's why I was asking if you might be confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Fat fingers. 171

Post Thanks / Like

Fat fingers. 171
    Well, if my memory is correct again the 171 mig was blue and was rated at 140 amps. I don't believe it was ever black. The welder we are talking about on this post is a black 180 amp mig. I think you are confused as the black mig welders are from a different manufacture and if you look at the schematic it doesn't look anything like the blue mig welders. I stopped by the HF store close to my house and asked a floor person about the black 180 welder and he told me they are from a different manufacture and are better built than the blue welders. Also the black welders have just hit the store self at the store by me less than a month ago.
    Last edited by kctgb; 04-22-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not confused at all. I own one of the black welders. I don't know where you get that from. It has wire feed problems. Like I said in my fist post on this thread I think

Post Thanks / Like

Im not confused at all. I own one of the black welders. I don't know where you get that from. It has wire feed problems. Like I said in my fist post on this thread I think
    I don't ever remember a HF 171 that was black. Please send a picture so I don't make this mistake again.

Post Thanks / Like

You are the one that is confused. I posted that I have had 2 of the black 180 migs--the black ones(new model) They have wire feed problems just like the old ones. I know what I own and what I have owned. The 171 was blue. They also had a 181 at one point that was a big one with wheels and everything. I have had all of these models. I have also had the blue and black 90 amp flux core welders. Just in case you arent sure the plasma cutter is blue haha. I have one of those too. =P

Post Thanks / Like

You are the one that is confused. I posted that I have had 2 of the black 180 migs--the black ones(new model) They have wire feed problems just like the old ones. I know what I own and what I have owned. The 171 was blue. They also had a 181 at one point that was a big one with wheels and everything. I have had all of these models. I have also had the blue and black 90 amp flux core welders. Just in case you arent sure the plasma cutter is blue haha. I have one of those too. =P
    I guess I'm confused because if you read a number of your post above you said you had fat fingers and you meant the black 171. I don't ever recall seeing a black 171 or a black 181. Send a picture so I won't be confused. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

If you read the post before I typed the fat fingers 171 it said that the blue one is 181 and I corrected myself saying 171. I don't need to send you a picture. I know what I have. I told you it is a black one. I wouldn't have posted in the thread about the new model 180 mig from harbor freight about a different model. Trying to keep on topic. Give it a rest please

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not picking on you I just don't like being confused.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got one of these new 180amp welders. I didn't see on the box or anyplace where is was made. Are these made in China too? The old ones said it on the front panel.

Post Thanks / Like

never mind... they are made in China. I found the small print.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brando View Post
    never mind... they are made in China. I found the small print.
    Let us know how they work and if they look better built than the blue models.

Post Thanks / Like

There has been a lot of the Harbor Freight welders that were labeled as 171,180 and /1 /2.
    There was a large 34092 and these.:http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...6999/36694.pdf
    Some were made in Italy ,I think one was made in Russia, and the Chinese ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewelders View Post
    There has been a lot of the Harbor Freight welders that were labeled as 171,180 and /1 /2.
    There was a large 34092 and these.:http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...6999/36694.pdf
    Some were made in Italy ,I think one was made in Russia, and the Chinese ones.
    Were any of the ones you listed black in color. The only one I saw at the HF store by me that was 180 amps was black. All the rest were blue.

Post Thanks / Like

They were all blue for about the last 10 years or so.
    The original Italian welders were blue,and when the chinese started building them they were exact copies.
    The black ones have just been around starting this year.
    I think all of the blue ones are discontinued.

Post Thanks / Like

Blue is out black is the new color. I dont know why you are so hung up on the color. Go buy them both so you can compare them

Post Thanks / Like

They were all blue for about the last 10 years or so.
    The original Italian welders were blue,and when the chinese started building them they were exact copies.
    The black ones have just been around starting this year.
    I think all of the blue ones are discontinued.
    Thanks bluewelder

Post Thanks / Like

Just FYI - I've found that the wire feed is a lot smoother with a 10lb spool until it gets low on wire. Hmm. Weird..

Post Thanks / Like

It is definitely smoother with the 12.5#spool that I have on it but it is only because there is little to no tension on the spool. It is still great for what I paid for it. I just want to figure out how to get it to feet better. I am going to change the ground out on it too. I got a lincoln clamp and just need to get a new cable. I have a HF plasma cutter that I think is great. Works just as good as the others that I have used. I have a second one for sale if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like

new to the forum, resurrecting this thread.

Just bought one of these, MIG180, SKU 68666. Black.

havent welded in years but wanted a setup for my home garage for car restoration work.

anywayI haven't been able to use the welder at all. already exchanged the one I bought but the replacement behaves identically. maybe it's me that's the problem.

Here's the issue: I setup the wire feed spool per the instructions, everything works as expected. I then power off, put the tip and nozzle back on the gun, power on... and nothing. fan and light on the switch is on, but no wire feed at all.

This has happened TWICE.

Am I doing something wrong here? Or have I really run into 2 brand new welders with the same issue?

thanks for any help on this

Post Thanks / Like

It is almost always a problem with your 220v outlet.

Post Thanks / Like

It is almost always a problem with your 220v outlet.
    just a follow-up and I'll take my question to a separate thread.

how do I know if I have a 220 issue? I run a very large window a/c+heater off the same circuit with no issues. Obviously I disconnect it when running the welder. Also I was able to feed the wire successfully ONCE, out of the box. After that no movement.

If you can point me in the right direction (other info somewhere) I'd really appreciate it!

thanks very much

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist