+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plasma welding aluminum to steel

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma welding aluminum to steel

Hi -
    I'm pretty new to plasma welding (or any other kind for that matter) and have a project in mind that I'd like to try. I've welded both steel and aluminum but never to each other.

I have a steel oil pan on my 1991 Jeep Wrangler (4.0L engine) that I'd like to weld a thick aluminum rim to. I have a fellow who will machine the Aluminum plate (1/4" thickness... not cheap) to fit the bottom of the engine block (and match the holes, etc) and I want to weld this rim to the top of the steel oil pan. I have a small plasma welder (Mulitplaz) for the job.

Yes... this is all in an (expensive) attempt to stop the leaks (a Wrangler owners dream). It's also a learning experiment and I want to try it.
    My other (very expensive) option is to knock up an all aluminum pan out of plate and weld the whole thing together.

Any advice on joining these disimilar metals (2011 aluminum to rolled steel)??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plasma welding aluminum to steel

Hi:

I vote for Fel-Pro.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaPly View Post
    Hi -
    I'm pretty new to plasma welding (or any other kind for that matter) and have a project in mind that I'd like to try. I've welded both steel and aluminum but never to each other.

I have a steel oil pan on my 1991 Jeep Wrangler (4.0L engine) that I'd like to weld a thick aluminum rim to. I have a fellow who will machine the Aluminum plate (1/4" thickness... not cheap) to fit the bottom of the engine block (and match the holes, etc) and I want to weld this rim to the top of the steel oil pan. I have a small plasma welder (Mulitplaz) for the job.

Yes... this is all in an (expensive) attempt to stop the leaks (a Wrangler owners dream). It's also a learning experiment and I want to try it.
    My other (very expensive) option is to knock up an all aluminum pan out of plate and weld the whole thing together.

Any advice on joining these disimilar metals (2011 aluminum to rolled steel)??
    It's not gonna happen-------YOU cannot weld aluminum to steel.
    6 Miller Big Blue 600 Air Paks
    2 Miller 400D
    6 Lincoln LN-25's
    4 Miller Xtreme 12VS
    2 Miller Dimension 812
    4 Climax BW-3000Z bore welders
    Hypertherm 65 and 85
    Bug-O Track Bug
    Pair of Welpers

Post Thanks / Like

Get you some brake parts cleaner&blue silicone is that easy... scrape off the engine and pan, degrease it well and apply blue silicone on both sides of the rubbers at ends if it has em, and down the pan rails around bolt holes. carefully put it on there will be no leaks if you don't disturb the silicone and it will Have to be peeled off next time good luck...
    Lincoln 225 Tombstone,
    Miller Big 20,
    Hobart 180,150' Argon,
    A/D hobart hood
    22 Ton Log splitter,
    79 F350 dump eats 4.75 TONS and still turns
    cutters,grinders,
    And a Hypertherm POWERMAX 30

Post Thanks / Like

Been there (felpro)... done that.

Home, PA (Yes, that's the name of the town.)
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had to deal with the leaky pan issue before. I got 2 words, "Clear Silicone." It comes in a pressurized can and when you press the nozzle it lays down a very consistent bead. Put that around the bottom of the block, let it set for about 15 minutes, then bolt the pan down and let it sit for 24 hours. You'll need a rubber mallet to get it back off, but it won't leak if done properly.
    Brad George

Current Equipment:
    AIRCO Heliwelder IV 300Amp Model - Total Awesomeness!
    Old 120v Hobart Handler MIG
    Various grinders, cutting tools, hammers, clamps, ect...
    "I'm an amateur welder with lots left to learn..."

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh the glory of the almighty steeluminum its a shame that ferrus and non ferrus metals dont bond. Then agine i met a welder who tried her hardest to make it happen she spent approx 4 hours trying to make it work.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist