+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which MIG set up for 330 A/BP ??

Post Thanks / Like

Which MIG set up for 330 A/BP ??

I have an Air Products Vis-Arc which is the same as a Miller 330 A/BP. It stick welds great and I would like to ad a MIG to it.

I down loaded a manual off the Miller website and the only reference it shows is under the accessory page. It states that I can ad a WC-2 controller to accommodate a Spoolmatic 2 feeder/gun. I'm not interested in a Spoolmatic gun. Will the WC-2 control a regular MIG gun and wire feeder? Is there other brands of wire feeders that will work on this unit? Whats the best way to do this?
    Last edited by straightaxle65; 01-30-2012 at 06:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which MIG set up for 330 A/BP ??

There's really no "good" way to do this. You have a CC machine. Mig really needs a CV power source. You can run a VS type feeder on a CC machine, but it will not do small wire, short arc mig well, which is what most people think of when they say "mig". If you run high amps with large wire or FC in spray, you can lay down a lot of metal on thick material, but this is a PITA out of position and useless for thin stuff.

By the time you get all the stuff to try and do this, chances are you could have simply bought a nice used 180-200 amp class mig and had a better machine all around.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

There is another post with a similar setup (Dialarc and WC-2 I think).

So I have to ask. The volatage sensing suitcases - they don't help in this situation right? I ask because I seem to recall that some of these suitcases your supposed to put an XMT into CC mode. Did I miss-remember that?

Anyway. MIG welding is typically done at a constant (or nearly constant) voltage. You dial in say 20V and a wirespeed to match your wire thickness. Unless a WC-2 controller will rapidly adjust the TIG welder's current supply to insure the voltage stays within range, you will have frustrations.

See this discussion:
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...-shopmaster300
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Miller Multimatic 200
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Maxstar 200DX

Post Thanks / Like

You can run an XMT in CC mode, but if the XMT is a CC/CV unit you would be best off setting it in CV voltage sensing mode instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. A welder friend from work had mentioned CC and CV and now this makes sense after reading your replies.

I originally got this machine from a guy that owed me $100 and last fall I put a head gasket in a another guys engine for 2 new TIG torches, regulator and a bunch of torch accessories so I'll probably just use this for stick and TIG.

I have a small 175 MIG machine and thought it would be nice to go bigger if possible with the 330 but I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for a bigger MIG

Thanks Again!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist