+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Panasonic Gunslinger

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic Gunslinger

Anyone have any experience with the Panasonic Gunslinger 260? Would it be OK for a small shop and light fabrication, or would it just be better to stick to the red and blue (availibility for parts and repair). This seems to have everything in one - stick, mig, flux core and tig. How would you rate it?
    Thanks RON

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Panasonic Gunslinger

I own a panasonic gunslinger 260.

I have never used any other 220v welder, so I have no reference. I got mine for $600 from somebody who went out of business. It was less than a year old. It works for me. Well constructed and heavy at 300lbs, it is heavy even on the wheels. Everything inside seem to be well protected from dust. Duty cycle is good. It will probably do what ever you throw at it.

The manual only recomment reverse polarity welding, hence tig would be difficult. I don't know why they recommend not switching the ground and electrode holder. I have never tried it.

However, if I was going to pay retail price for it I would go with a more popular brand. While I have never had any problems in three years. Locating parts will be a problem. Even a local welder repair shop stopped selling them because of difficulting/shipping recieving parts. Apparently there is no domestic supplier.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 01-08-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys

I bought the Panasonic Gunslinger 260P new in 2004. This is a mig-plasma combo with up to 260A on the mig side (260A-40%, 200A-60%, 160A-100%)and 35A for cutting (1/2" rated). My only welding "training" was fifteen minutes with the Praxair regional manager using this very machine. All welding processes require time to get good at let alone to master, but this little lesson showed me that mig would be easy enough for me to learn.

So far I've only been working with stainless steel - mostly tacking pem nuts that have already been pressed into sheet material. Usually one part or the other is softer but in this case both are stainless, so some of the pems fall out after time thus requiring a weld to secure them. The arc is smooth and the control has the usual Japanese "silky smooth only-what-you-expect" feel.

When I got the machine, I found the manual to not be quite detailed enough for such a novice as myself. For example, the wire speed dial is not labeled to go to zero-feed, but fully counter-clockwise is zero feed. I had to nudge it up just a hair from fully-CCW to feed the wire through the first time. The 260P came with a braking hub made out plastic and was otherwise fitted with an angled diecast aluminum hub with just a retainer to keep the spool from coming off. The latter works very well since the spool does not turn very fast in use and is well behaved.

The Panasonic welders are built very solidly and with refined features. I would recommend them to anyone. I've never had a Panasonic item fail or misbehave under normal use, including this welder, three answering machines and a VCR. All the consumables are standard items available through any welding supply house as those part are big-name guns and torches. The only thing I ordered that was a specific Panasonic part was the wheels to feed different wire sizes.

In the Gunslinger series, Panasonic had a mig-plasma machine, a mig-stick unit and a mig-stick-tig unit. There was also the Bandit, a stick machine that was even heavier than the Gunslingers (320-lbs vs 270-lbs).

Have fun

Post Thanks / Like

I used a panasonic welder once and was quite impressed. I have only heard good things about them, but that isn't saying much due to so few of reviews. If the price was right I would own one to give her a good running.
    Last edited by Scott Young; 05-09-2011 at 03:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

They are still building the Gunslinger, (called the 261 now).

If you need parts or assistance, google Panasonicfa (factory automation) in Buffalo Grove, Illinois.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys

Oop! The Bandit was actually 5-lbs lighter than the Gunslingers. It just looked heavier with the lifting hooks.

Have fun

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is an old thread, but:

Unbelievably, a rat got into the upper section of my Gunslinger 260 thru the wire feed compartment (where the circuit boards are) and he chewed every friggin wire in the unit, leaving just stubs sticking out of the connectors and/or crimp terminals. The harness is intact below the upper chamber, but it is just a big bundle of wire that ends at the metalwork. Some still have wire numbers which I can match up to the PCB connectors, but you can barely tell the color on some of them. I have a "downloaded" schematic which is a terrible document with "xx" replacing every connection number that might have been useful. Must be another case of soy-based wire.

If anyone has a real schematic, they could help me rescue this thing. I've bought all the components to re-build the wiring harness, but there are just too many mystery connections to get it done with the info I have. I'd be thrilled to pay the copying costs for the entire manual, although the wiring diagrams are the only things I really need.

Post Thanks / Like

Tapwelder posted this a few years back:

In Nashville we have a service center Quality Torch and Regulator Repair 615-726-2763. They were a certified service center for Panasonic, however got out of servicing them because of availabilty of parts and turn around. Though might be able to give you infornation.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Egg on face. I had a manual that I stumbled on while cleaning out my bookcasse. I had already reverse engineered the wiring, but it's a good double-check.

So if anyone needs a copy, send me an email. jjgurleyATgmail

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping an old thread for the Panasonic Gunslinger manual offer specifically the wiring schematics.
    Thanks to anyone that replies.
    jjgurley sent you an email

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ksbress2 View Post
    Bumping an old thread for the Panasonic Gunslinger manual offer specifically the wiring schematics.
    Thanks to anyone that replies.
    jjgurley sent you an email
    I looked for a manual for about half an hour yesterday. No luck. Have you tried contacting Panasonic?

I'd never heard of the machine before. A Panasonic Gunslinger sounds like something from a Sci-Fi Western movie. Like a robot with a .44 magnum and a Stetson hat.
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

I know a dealer who sold Gunslingers and did repairs for as long as they were available. If you can't find a manual he may be able to offer help. They were a cool welder that offered more power/duty cycle too and stick welding feature. I sold a lot of Mig guns that were being sold with them. They were reliable welders.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    I know a dealer who sold Gunslingers and did repairs for as long as they were available. If you can't find a manual he may be able to offer help. They were a cool welder that offered more power/duty cycle too and stick welding feature. I sold a lot of Mig guns that were being sold with them. They were reliable welders.
    They do look pretty nice. The "P" models that also did plasma cutting would be handy if you're tight on space... assuming the plasma cutter was decent.
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    They do look pretty nice. The "P" models that also did plasma cutting would be handy if you're tight on space... assuming the plasma cutter was decent.
    I never did see one with a plasma set up. I remember when Panasonic eliminated them due to 90/10 rule. Great sales but just not as great as they hoped and the Chinese imports were starting to pop up all over the market.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

15. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is interested I have the troubleshooting manual for the Gunslinger 260 which includes the Control Board schematics and all the testing points, volt and amp readings.
    I got it though miller automation.

Send me an email if you want a copy.

ksbress2@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist