+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prints

Post Thanks / Like

Prints

Sounds crazy but does anyone has any blueprints saved on their computer? The web doesn't have any "actual" drawings..Just a lot of symbols and their meaning. I'm trying to familiarize myself to them and their symbols and how it all goes together. Most of the employers that I have interviewed require the employee to already have knowledge of reading prints . What better experience than to have it on the job huh...

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prints

most blueprints are "classified"

surley you are familure with the term...

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to a blue printing outfit.. (company's that do nothing but print blue prints i.e. Atlas, WD partners etc. etc.) and ask em if they have any bad prints you could have. Most companies have someone print copies of their drawings (need many copies of a book of blue prints for a structure).

Tell em your learning drafting or something and want to see how its done in the real world. If they say no, just look in the dipsty dumpster. I gaurantee you it will be full of flub ups..(not drawing problems, but prints smeared, or bad finishing or crease etc).

If your real nice and you seem to be getting along with em ask if they can help you understand whats being shown (Dont be suprised if they have no idea).

Any of this seem like good ideas to you?

You could allways take a semester of drafting, I did and it was quite fun. Still dont know if you'd find all the information you need because depending on what your working on, depicts the symbols that will be used. Much like welding, I had never seen the 'arrow', side to weld, thickness of bead, type of joint before.

Zaps right about the classified stuff, but some of its not (public works, gas station, etc).
    Various Grinders
    Victor Journeyman torch
    200cf Acet. 250cf oxygen
    Lincoln 175 plus/alpha2 gun
    Lincoln v205t tig
    Lincoln 350mp
    Esab 650 plasma
    When you can get up in the morning, Its a good day.
    Live each day like its your last.

Post Thanks / Like

what type of blueprints...each trade has their own kind of drawings...some with many "cuts" to show you different parts of the same thing..or some that are mostly 3D..wiring prints...plumbing prints..structural prints..ect.

Post Thanks / Like

erection drawings or fabricating drawings (forgo
    t to mention them)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for mostly what the weldor is going to look at. Erecting, fabrication..As i think about it, production shop work would probably be the best. I read the "Welding Symbols" chapter in my book and got a really good understanding on what they all mean so next would be to see it in action so when they say "can you read prints?" I can be more prepared to answer.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Post Thanks / Like

"Can you read prints" is a standard question. I have heard it too often. Even though there are standards concerning drafting practice every shop has different styles.
    There are textbooks on print reading. "Blueprint reading for Welders" is one that comes to mind.
    Structural drawings have their own nomenclature and can be pretty confusing unless you know how to apply the abbreviations such as GOSL or sometimes just listed as ga. Gauge on standing leg means the distance from the heel of the angle to the centerline of the holes. Applied to flanges on a beam it is the distance between holes.
    One that had me laughing was Near Side and other Other Side in a shipyard I worked in. The O.S. often got confused with other things. The correct is near side and far side. NS & FS
    I am also running into third angle projections using the European standard. End views can be seen in error causing all kinds of problems. I notice some sharp draftsmen are labeling all end views to remove all doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't really matter, the prints are usually wrong anyway.
    Dewayne
    Dixieland Welding

MM350P
    Lincoln 100
    Some torches
    Other misc. tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman
    "Can you read prints" is a standard question. I have heard it too often. Even though there are standards concerning drafting practice every shop has different styles.
    There are textbooks on print reading. "Blueprint reading for Welders" is one that comes to mind.
    Structural drawings have their own nomenclature and can be pretty confusing unless you know how to apply the abbreviations such as GOSL or sometimes just listed as ga. Gauge on standing leg means the distance from the heel of the angle to the centerline of the holes. Applied to flanges on a beam it is the distance between holes.
    One that had me laughing was Near Side and other Other Side in a shipyard I worked in. The O.S. often got confused with other things. The correct is near side and far side. NS & FS
    I am also running into third angle projections using the European standard. End views can be seen in error causing all kinds of problems. I notice some sharp draftsmen are labeling all end views to remove all doubt.
    Ya so their talking about reading them in general. Maybe I could just take a ride to the place and ask to see their operation.

Post Thanks / Like

"Blueprint Reading for Welders" is a book I used in junior college.
    It may be a good start.
    http://www.amazon.com/Blueprint-Read.../dp/0766808521

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for all the help everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Whereabouts in eastern Pa are you? I save drawings from all my jobs in the computer. I have PDF drawings if you need some to look at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailerDave
    Whereabouts in eastern Pa are you? I save drawings from all my jobs in the computer. I have PDF drawings if you need some to look at.
    I'm from Quakertown. About 45 min north of Philly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SrA_USAF
    I'm from Quakertown. About 45 min north of Philly.
    I used to work in Willow Grove. I used to visit our vendors up your way frequently. I got your message.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailerDave
    I used to work in Willow Grove. I used to visit our vendors up your way frequently. I got your message.
    Ya their days are coming to a close very quickly (the base that is)

Post Thanks / Like

"Retreat hell, were just fighting in the other direction"

Miller Trailblazer 302, Extreme 12 VS, Dimension 400, Spectrum 375, HF 251D-1, Milermatic 251 w/ spoolgun
    Hypertherm 1000
    Lincoln sp 170

2000 F-450 to haul it

Post Thanks / Like

After you figure out how to read prints, engineeres will be at the top of "the list".
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist