+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Usual Fitup out in the field/shop

Post Thanks / Like

Usual Fitup out in the field/shop

What is the usual pipe fit up you see out in the field or fab shops? 1/8" Land/Gaps or are you going small 1/16"-1/32 gap/lands? Doing 2g-6g right now and been wanting to go smaller gap on my fitup and seeing if that's the norm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Usual Fitup out in the field/shop

If its for practice I'd try it all cause in the field your gonna see it all. For 5p uphill I like a tight 1/8 with a heavy land for uphill and a thinner land and more heat for down hand. For TIG I like the gap a little looser than my filler wire so I can back feed. Try everything so when your on the job you know what can be welded an what needs to be refit. Slam it tight and use 3/32 to punch your keyhole, Try a really loose gap and use 5/32, put a huge smile in it, weld one thats rusty like it was fit 3 days ago. You get the point if all you practice is perfect fit welding you will struggle in the real world. You fitter will love you if all he ever heres is " I can get it no problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon uphill- 1/8" gap with a "nickle" landing
    Carbon downhill-1/16" gap with a "nickle" landing
    Tig- 1/8" gap(3/32" filler) razor edge
    All heat settings various to different climate and pipe conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, it all depends on what kind of pipe, what kind of rod,etc. Hotrod gave some good examples, but there are many more variables to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

It's for practice since I'm still in school. Was having some issues on some spots between my tacks.. sometimes I could run it great then others the keyhole would get way to big. I'm running 1/8 gap and land. 1/8 6010 Rod. I tried around 95amps and the way I whip (small movement) would cause way to big of a hole. So I turned it down to 65-70 and I could penetrate better with MY way of whipping. Will running it this cold cause issues later on even if the backside has great penetration? All this is in the 2g Position. With structural I had no problem in roots in all positions.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist