Thread: Another first beads photo

Post Thanks / Like

Another first beads photo

I enrolled in a "Continuing Education" welding class at the local tech school. I have a Lincoln 140 MIG (and have produced plenty of pigeon poo getting started) but I have no stick machine so I figured this would be a way to gain stick experiance and professional coaching. So my first ever first stick beads are pictured below.
    8 gauge coupon, 6013 1/8, Thermal Arc 400 MST, 82 Amps (as set by instructor.)
    May the flogging commence!
    - Mondo
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Atlas MFC Horizontal Mill
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another first beads photo

Four hours since posting, 112 views, not a single comment. Not even so much as a "your beads stink."
    Can I delete this mess?
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    - - -

Post Thanks / Like

From the top one, I would have thought 6010. It is interesting that they have you working on such small pieces...

Not too bad for a start, though. I especially enjoy the flogging comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Four hours since posting, 112 views, not a single comment. Not even so much as a "your beads stink."
    Can I delete this mess?
    Your beads stink.

In fact they stink so bad that I can smell them all the way out on the west coast.

I have no stick experience so I won't comment on them.
    http://all-a-cart.com

Welding Cart Kits and accessories

Post Thanks / Like

Bottom one, right side is a bit cold & has some undercut it looks like. Although that might be the camera angle too.

Slow down on the right side, watch the puddle & let it fill, then move. Nice & steady wins the race.

Top one looks ok. Started out ok on the left, then it looks like you sped up a bit.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Lincoln WeldandPower 225 AC/DC G-7 CV/CC
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Post Thanks / Like

The beginning of the 1st pict looks ok, but then it looks like you either sped up, or started to hold a longer arc. The 2nd pict looks cold. Everything else being equal, I'd have to say maybe you held the arc too tight on that one possibly.

6013 will tell you when you have all the settings, speed and positions right. The slag will just curl up behind you or fall of in big chunks. If you have a lot of chipping to do, it means something wasn't right.

I'm also a bit surprised they are using such small and thin coupons for stick. We us 3/8" for all the stick work.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also recommend using a bigger cupon...even if it ain't 3/8 thick a bit wider plate will take the heat much better. My students use 1/8 6013's on DCEP. We run around 105 amps.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you have the right idea. Now practice till you see the puddle in your sleep. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys! That's the commentary I was hoping for! Now I have something I can 'take home' so to speak.

Small coupons, yes. Stingy, I think. I have no idea what the "lab fees" are, they build that into the price of the course so you don't know.

We can run another bead along side the first one but that usualy burns off the edge. I flip 'em over and run a string on the other side. The first bead bends the coupon, the second one on the flip side flattens it again.

Right on the analysis.... I'm still trying to hold a steady arc - same length. It gets long and then I dive in too deep over correcting. Practice Practice Practice is all I need there.

Had only one in which the slag peeled off by itself, as I recall. Not in one long worm, but in sections. I'll try to get that effect next class on Tuesday.

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck bro. Keep workin and Watch That Puddle!

Post Thanks / Like

when my dog saw that he puked...hey ray hows it goin?
    you can butt joint the coupons together ..

Post Thanks / Like

The welding class finished up a month ago. I still haven't mastered the art of consistency in appearance so I have been reluctant to post. I could post some of my better welds, I suppose.

My main project was to build a pallet fork attachment for a compact tractor. Done and works well!

The tractor has a universal skid-steer type mount on the loader frame so that is what I matched it to. The forks are 2 x 4 x 1/4 HSS (Hollow Structural Steel – aka rectangular tubing as we all know it.) To avoid having gussets in the corners of the forks I made a miter joint and reinforced it on the bottom with a piece of 3/8 x 4 HR Flat. 9” long with a 90° bend at 6” then added a 6" x 6" L cut from 1/4” plate on each side. I am sure the forks are not as strong as a real fork-lift tine (forged high-strength and tempered steel), but they can lift far more that the hydraulics of the tractor for which it was made.

The forks are hung from standard black pipe. Cheaper (and probably weaker) than DOM tubing, but clearly strong enough for the need. I used a die grinder to clean the root of the welded seam out of the inside of the stubs of pipe that are welded to the top of the forks. This permits them to easily slide and rotate on the long pipe from which they hung.

I don’t have any close-ups, but here’s some pics showing it at work on the farm.

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Please post some more of your practice beads. If I can catch a break I want to get into our local tech class this July. I'm curious, how many hours was your class? Ours is 9 hours a week for 5 or 6 weeks. Right now my better beads resemble your first ones here.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    Please post some more of your practice beads. If I can catch a break I want to get into our local tech class this July. I'm curious, how many hours was your class? Ours is 9 hours a week for 5 or 6 weeks. Right now my better beads resemble your first ones here.
    My class was an official "unofficial" class... "Welding for the Hobbyist and Enthusiast". Three hours on each of two nights a week for 6 weeks. No classroom, no homework, no tests. Just "Here is how it's done. Do what I show you." The instructor talked of general safety as required and showed all how to start and run a bead. Talked briefly of the process and what the numbers on the rod mean, and an evening of acetylene torch safety and how to cut steel. After that it was just practice practice practice with the instructor checking in on each of us in round-robin fashion.

The instructor had 40 years experience building submarines and it showed, but he maintained an easy atmosphere. As I recall only one student was under 30 so he didn''t have a pack of ya-hoos to look after.

We worked with 6013 for the first two weeks and MIG using either plain wire w/C25 or flux-core after that. The Certificate of Attendance each student was issued on the last night can be framed and hung on the wall as a decoration, but means little more than that. Still, it was enjoyable and enlightening and nice to have a seasoned pro looking over my shoulder.

Most of the fork attachment was welded with MIG/C25 (no flux core.) The forks were welded with 7018 1/8 stick, multiple passes capped with wire feed. I will try to post some detail pics this weekend.

-Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mondo, sounds like a good time. This class I'm looking at is one of three just for stick. As the description doesn't say much more than "beginner", then there is intermediate and advanced. I'm assuming these are career grade classes as there is one class labeled for the hobbyist. Sounds much like the one you took. Not sure if I'm looking for a career, but ain't gonna rule out either. As a carpenter /framer I've taken a real beating these past four years.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally, photos of the finished product. Fits a 3400 Kubota.

Look ma! No gussets!
    The forks are 4x2x1/4 HSS cut and jointed on 45° (miter) which is then reinforced with 2" wide x 1/4" L plate on the sides with a 3/8 x 4 x6 bent at 3" on the bottom (not pictured - I know, I should have photographed it from the bottom.)

Basic frame is 1x2x1/8 HSS Flat plates on end and mount are 1/4", the horizontal stiffeners in the middle, top and bottom are both 3/8" HR flats. Next are some pics of the basic frame partially assembled.
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    - - -

Post Thanks / Like

Basic Frame.